Windows 10: Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons

Discus and support Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, I need some guidance because I ran out of ideas on how to solve the issue I'm facing with. I have a Windows 10 desktop computer that can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bldone, Apr 4, 2021.

1. bldone Win User

Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons

Hi all,

I need some guidance because I ran out of ideas on how to solve the issue I'm facing with.

I have a Windows 10 desktop computer that can't boot properly after a BSOD happened a few days ago. Here's what happening and what I've tried already:

• Windows 10 login screen is shown with 3 account to choose from Admin account + 2 other user accounts
    • If I choose and logging in to any of the 2 user accounts, Windows shows the desktop wallpaper set on the given account, as well as the system tray. However, there are no desktop icons shown, and system tray also missing icons, only the following items are displayed: Windows logo for start menu, search bar, cortana icon, task view icon. On the right side of the system tray there's the clock and the messages icon. However, the computer seems to be stuck here, I can move the mouse cursor, but nothing happens if I click any of the icons: start menu doesn't open, can't enter text into the search bar, etc. The clock also don't get refreshed, except if I click a few times on the system tray: then the screen briefly switches to white then back to the desktop wallpaper + system tray, and then and only then the clock refreshes. Ctrl+Alt+Del works kind of, I can log out or restart the computer, but choosing task manager only brings me back to the empty desktop with the empty system tray. see image below
      Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons [​IMG]
    • When logging in to Admin account, it's even worse: there's only a completely black screen with the mouse cursor, which I can move, but nothing else happens. No desktop wallpaper, no system tray, nothing. The only thing that works is Ctrl+Alt+Del, where I can log off or restart the computer, but when selecting task manager, the computer returns to the copletely black screen.
    • The exact same issues happen, when I boot into safe mode, except with lower resolution. The 2 user accounts don't show the desktop wallpaper then, only the empty system tray. The Admin account only shows totally black screen the safe mode label on the screen also can't be seen.
    • I tried "sfc /scannow" from the command line booting into safe mode with command line, but it did not find any issues.
    • I have a system restore point from a few days ago which I tried to roll back to, but restore doesn't work.
      Rough translation:
      "System resotre was unsuccessful. The system files and settings of the computer were not modified.
      Details:
      System restore failed due to unknown error.
      Parameter is incorrect. 0x80070057"
    • Is there anything else I can still try?

:)

bldone, Apr 4, 2021
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons

1. Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons - Similar Threads - dead frozen desktop

2. duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED: Alrighty then, somewhere along the line I noticed I had a ghost image behind my google pin on taskbar. Then realized the same on several short cuts on my Desktop. AY Yi Yi, wut to do, as always begin a methodical search online for the Solution... After about my 8th or 9th...
  3. duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    duplicate dead desktop icons SOLVED: Alrighty then, somewhere along the line I noticed I had a ghost image behind my google pin on taskbar. Then realized the same on several short cuts on my Desktop. AY Yi Yi, wut to do, as always begin a methodical search online for the Solution... After about my 8th or 9th...
  4. Frozen desktop, black taskbar without icons and slow startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen desktop, black taskbar without icons and slow startup: So I recently had a problem where my ASUS laptop is taking so long on the startup, and after several minutes, the desktop freezes entirely and the taskbar is completely black except for the bar where you search for things I don't know what is called. Keep in mind, I didn't...
  5. Frozen desktop, black taskbar without icons and slow startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frozen desktop, black taskbar without icons and slow startup: So I recently had a problem where my ASUS laptop is taking so long on the startup, and after several minutes, the desktop freezes entirely and the taskbar is completely black except for the bar where you search for things I don't know what is called. Keep in mind, I didn't...
  6. Frozen desktop, black taskbar without icons and slow startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 10, taskbar frozen, icons on desktop still working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, taskbar frozen, icons on desktop still working: I think this problem occurred after updating Windows to Ver. 20H2 and adding weather forecast icon to the taskbar, for more Information, I have using Dual Monitor....
  8. Desktop frozen

Desktop frozen: When I Start Or Restart My Pc The Desktop Is Frozen, Cant Right Click Or Use The Taskbar But I can Move The Mouse Pointer Around The Screen. I Have Left The Pc For 5 minutes And An Hour In Case Something Was Working In The Background But Nothing. Only When I Press Ctrl Alt...
  9. BSOD - windows 10 frozen & no desktop

BSOD - windows 10 frozen & no desktop: This is my first problem with Win 10 and its Serious! Windows won't re-load properly, so no access to files, error logs or anything. I upgraded to W10 from W7 on a 5-year old desktop computer about 2 months ago. (W7 often went blue-screen on restarting but usually corrected...
  10. BSOD - windows 10 frozen & no desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    BSOD - windows 10 frozen & no desktop: Sorry - see Forum BSOD. 39393