Windows 10: Windows 10 Death

Discus and support Windows 10 Death in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Sony Vaio All-in-One that was running Windows 10. Around 12-6-2019 or so (don't recall the date) a update caused the system to BSOD over and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jthorpein, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Death

I have a Sony Vaio All-in-One that was running Windows 10. Around 12-6-2019 or so (don't recall the date) a update caused the system to BSOD over and over (usually around every 30 mins to an hour). I did a restore to restore it back to the date prior to the update and the system ran for at least 4 days or so (always on during this time) with no BSOD (and reboots), so something in the update caused my system to BSOD. After doing a reboot of the system on (around) 12-10, an update was forced on my system, however the system didn't BSOD, so I thought there was a glitch in the first update or it was redone. However I woke up on 12-11 to where the system apparently rebooted (possibly from an update, don't know) to where the system wouldn't boot into Windows ... all it was a fast blinking cursor (about 3 lines down) and it stalled there. I did a force shutdown by holding the power button down until it shut off. I tried booting the system the morning of 12-12 and again it went to the fast blinking cursor and stalled. It's basically acting like there's no OS, but it doesn't give me an error message like inserting a boot device, operating system not found, etc. just the blinking cursor.

Things I've done/tried:

1.) Purchased a new drive and used a Inateck dual bay docking station to create a 1 to 1 clone.

2.) Used the new drive in the system and tried to boot ... but just received the same blinking cursor ( __ )

3.) Tried downloading the Windows 10 Install (boot?) disk on a USB (made through the application/program from Microsoft's own site)... however when trying to boot, my system doesn't recognize the USB as a bootable option (no matter what the BIOS is set to boot from).

4.) After a couple of attempts of # 3 above, I retried the Microsoft app and instead of creating a USB with the app, I opted to create a DVD Disc version instead of the USB. This created a file in My Documents that I went to, right clicked and selected Burn Disk Image and burned it to a DVD.

5.) When booting with the disc, it takes about a minute for it to go from the blinking cursor to the Windows 10 splash screen and another minute or two to the menu. I tried selecting the Diagnose Start-Up, this came back with no problems found (or something like that), I also tried to uninstall updates and restore to an early time but these came back as none found.

6.) I tried to install Windows 10. When it scanned the drive it showed either 4 or 5 partitions, and each one said that windows cannot be installed on it or is not supported (due to dynamic volumes or something like that).

7.) I then used the original restore discs that came with my system and restored it back to Windows 7 that came originally installed and everything is working fine. So it seems there's no issue with the motherboard, RAM, chipset, etc. The original drive that I made the clone from, I'm able to access this drive using the Inateck dock connected to a computer and made an additional copy of the documents, etc. that was on the drive, so it seems there's no issues with the drive, so it leads me to believe something possibly corrupted the boot files.

My questions:

1.) How can I reinstall the boot files, or can you install just the boot files to get it to boot?

2.) If # 1 can't be done, how do I re-install Windows 10 when I get the error that it can't be installed on this partition?

Also, is it possible to make the system a dual boot option where I can use either Windows 7 that came with the system originally or Windows 10 (i.e.: can I install Windows 10 on another drive and connect it via a USB device/case and be able to select what OS I want to boot into?

Thanks in advance for all answers and suggestions.

submitted by /u/jthorpein
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jthorpein, Dec 13, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 13, 2019
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Windows 10 Death

Delta6326, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Death

1. Windows 10 Death - Similar Threads - Death

2. Blue screen of death has been occurring lately and using view reliability history I see...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen of death has been occurring lately and using view reliability history I see...: I can send the problem history so we can figure out the failures.The snip wont render on this message platform. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-of-death-has-been-occurring-lately-and/1876fb46-6f43-463e-97d1-f68586865ff5
  3. Blue screen of death has been occurring lately and using view reliability history I see...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen of death has been occurring lately and using view reliability history I see...: I can send the problem history so we can figure out the failures.The snip wont render on this message platform. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-of-death-has-been-occurring-lately-and/1876fb46-6f43-463e-97d1-f68586865ff5
  4. Need Help: Consecutive Blue Screen of Death BOSD Issues on my windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Help: Consecutive Blue Screen of Death BOSD Issues on my windows 10: Hi everyone,I've been experiencing consecutive Blue Screen of Death BOSD occurrences on my Microsoft device lately and I'm quite concerned. It's disrupting my workflow and I'm unsure of what might be causing it. Could someone please offer some guidance or troubleshooting...
  5. Need Help: Consecutive Blue Screen of Death BOSD Issues on my windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help: Consecutive Blue Screen of Death BOSD Issues on my windows 10: Hi everyone,I've been experiencing consecutive Blue Screen of Death BOSD occurrences on my Microsoft device lately and I'm quite concerned. It's disrupting my workflow and I'm unsure of what might be causing it. Could someone please offer some guidance or troubleshooting...
  6. Need Help: Consecutive Blue Screen of Death BOSD Issues on my windows 10

7. Help please with blue screen of death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help please with blue screen of death: Hello everyone! My lap top running Windows 10 keeps blue screening from different actions. Sometimes it will blue screen from clicking windows search bar or just using Google chrome. I’ve gotten one stop code saying DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION & another one saying KMODE EXCEPTION...
  8. Help please with blue screen of death

Help please with blue screen of death: Hello everyone! My lap top running Windows 10 keeps blue screening from different actions. Sometimes it will blue screen from clicking windows search bar or just using Google chrome. I’ve gotten one stop code saying DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION & another one saying KMODE EXCEPTION...
  9. Help please with blue screen of death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. hi, please I need help with my laptop. it started showing me the blue screen of death and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hi, please I need help with my laptop. it started showing me the blue screen of death and...: hi, please I need help with my laptop. it started showing me the blue screen of death and the automatic repair says it couldn't repair my PC . I've tried resetting and restoring the PC but none of them worked too.what else can I do?...