Windows 10: Windows 10 Dec update to 1809 not there anymore - What's going on?

Discus and support Windows 10 Dec update to 1809 not there anymore - What's going on? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all! An average user here. In the mid December my PC's were updated automatically to ver. 1809 AGAIN - after unfortunate release in October. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by _JackD_, Jan 1, 2019.

1. _JackD_ Win User

Windows 10 Dec update to 1809 not there anymore - What's going on?

Hi all!

An average user here.

In the mid December my PC's were updated automatically to ver. 1809 AGAIN - after unfortunate release in October. I'm starting to loose my confidence in Microsoft.

This version has of course many improvements, but also (this is my suspicion) introduces more new problems. I reached the point when I'm afraid of seeing new 'downloads and updates' every couple days in MS Store.

This time I ran into following issues:

On my old/fairly stable profiles OneDrive wouldn't save setting to 'Autosave screenshots' - functionality didn't work. Reinstalls, cleanups, removing registry, roaming, prefetch data - I couldn't find solution to this problem. The only thing: It works fine on a different user profile on the same PC. I got an advice on this forum to move my apps to the new profile... ??? It takes too much time to configure my environment. I have 40-50 applications, some have unique registrations, so every time when reinstalling I have to go to the vendor and ask to reset it. I would loose all tweaks, custom columns etc.

More problems:
    After this and probably earlier updates I started to see new file attributes 'L' or 'l'
    L = Reparse Points
    I = Not content indexed

Great - but there is a problem. Image files with this attribute didn't want to display thumbnails. At least I think so... After Copy-Paste this attribute disappeared and thumbnails started to display properly. It all took couple hours of my time to research and try more than 10 fixes I found on the Web dealing with thumbnails not displaying.

Another problem: New for me, and caused some confusion. Deleting shortcut to the folder DELETES CONTENTS of the folder.... Am I missing something here???

After all of this I decided to do factory reinstall. This is fairly new PC, so I figured I will 'keep it very clean'. SURPRISE! - Version 1809 does not install/update anymore. So - am I a victim of another blunder?

OK. For 2 days I'm running now 1803. After two days of configuring my apps:

1. Photos won't launch - resetting and reinstalling doesn't help.

2. Skype won't launch - resetting and reinstalling doesn't help.

3. OneDrive screenshot feature works. YAY!

I really wish there were more 'standards' and the whole process was more 'tight'. The version problems in apps,ans Windows as a 'service manager' more and more reminds me the issue of inconsistencies and old problems with DLL's OCX's etc.

I really wish I could spend more time doing things I enjoy more. Repetitive 'fixing' of the things which should have BASIC and SIMPLE way of resetting/reinstalling/clearing - it is not too much to ask. I have many more hobbies, and Internet hunts for solutions to the problems in the products I'm paying for are not one of them.

I really considered using OneDrive as my cloud-backup storage place, but now I know, that I can not trust it. I think this may be the consequence of changes made to the NTFS system last May

If files copied with basic copy-paste routine DIFFER - there is something wrong with this picture. I found some posts about backup problems - they were 'out of my league' - but I'm not surprised. I just wish there was more effort put into assuring basic functions, and maybe postponing 'cosmetic' issues - whether 'File explorer' can have a dark theme...

Regards. Jack.

:)

_JackD_, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 1, 2019
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jan 1, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Dec update to 1809 not there anymore - What's going on? - Similar Threads - Dec update 1809

2. Windows 10 update Dec 2021

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update Dec 2021: Is it normal that a company as big as Microsoft can give itself the right to delete peoples hard work, is this normal?i have been using windows since windows 3.0 and later 3.11 and i am a BIG windows fan and i love windows 10 and have been recommending it for years but a...
  3. Windows 10 update Dec 2021

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update Dec 2021: Is it normal that a company as big as Microsoft can give itself the right to delete peoples hard work, is this normal?i have been using windows since windows 3.0 and later 3.11 and i am a BIG windows fan and i love windows 10 and have been recommending it for years but a...
  4. Windows 10 update Dec 2021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is going on with Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is going on with Windows Update?: Windows did an automatic update on my computer last night, and I have a couple of questions/topics for discussion about it: 1: My computer has always had a wonky touch screen. A year or so ago, I disabled my touch screen via regedit using this helpful guide:...
  6. Windows 10 ver 1809..... What's going on ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 ver 1809..... What's going on ?: For the past several months Windows is behaving very well. Everything I do with it seems to function as intended. I haven't experienced any foul ups and therefore have not had to use any troubleshooting at all. I'm afraid to lose my troubleshooting skills. What's going on ?...
  7. What is going on Windows 10 update!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is going on Windows 10 update!!!: I have a interview Monday - need to print - need to connect to the internet I did the Windows 10 update due to threat of no support in the future. Now I cannot print wot my HP Envy or stay connected to the internet I do not need this frustration and stresss Can someone...
  8. As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly.: Windows 10 no longer shuts down properly. It displays "shutting down" and then hangs. The computer is running Windows 10 Pro version 1809 installed on 21 Dec 2018. The shutdown problem began on 29 Dec 2018. Additionally Windows Update report an error ("There were some...
  9. Whats going on with updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Whats going on with updates: Just checked history and all failed,everything else has update in office and security. Where do I begin? All update have worked before december, running OS build 14393.576 now. *Sick Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986)...
  10. Windows 10 is not going to sleep anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 is not going to sleep anymore: Hello people and sry for my bad english my system was running completely fine before two last days. now my computer is not going to sleep anymore when i click sleep button the screen goes off but my pc power fans hard disks and .... is on then i need hard reset it to get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wpprecorder.sys 1803 download

2. windows 10 not doing updates 1809