Windows 10: Windows 10 default printer changes on its own

Discus and support Windows 10 default printer changes on its own in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Below are methods that I have found and already tried with no success in fixing the issue. The PC also has the latest Windows updates. I have removed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TracieCR, Feb 1, 2021.

1. TracieCR Win User

Windows 10 default printer changes on its own

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Below are methods that I have found and already tried with no success in fixing the issue. The PC also has the latest Windows updates. I have removed the printers and re-added them as well. This has not resolved the issue. Any advice is welcome. Thanks![/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Method 1:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]I suggest you to try turning off “let Windows manage your defaultprinter” and check if you are still facing theissue. To do so follow the steps below:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Open Start and select Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.Turn off LetWindows manage my default printer.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Method 2:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Registry disclaimer:[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1] Importantthis section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify theregistry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registryincorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. Foradded protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you canrestore the registry if a problem occurs.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]Please take a backup of the registry. Follow the stepsgiven in the link below:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1][COLOR=rgba5, 99, 193, 1]Howto back up and restore the registry in Window[COLOR=rgba5, 99, 193, 1]s[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]· Open the Run dialog boxby pressing the Windowskey and the R key together.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]· Type Regedit andhit the Enter key.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]· When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following location:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1] [/COLOR]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]· In the right pane, right click on “LegacyDefaultPrinterMode” andclick modify to change the value of LegacyDefaultPrinterMode fromthe default 0 to 1.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]· Restart your computer.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba0, 0, 0, 1]· Try setting you default printer again. [/COLOR]

:)

TracieCR, Feb 1, 2021

2. Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    Default Printer keeps changing in Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the default Printer keeps changing after you restart the computer.

1. Did this issue started recently? If yes, then what are the recent changes that you have made to the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1:

I suggest you to try turning off “let Windows manage your default printer” and check if you are still facing the issue. To do so follow the steps below:

Open Start and select Settings
    > Devices > Printers & scanners. Turn off
    Let Windows manage my default printer.

Windows 10 default printer changes on its own e5a5440c-c8d4-4151-bd0b-71150386373f?upload=true.png

If you still have issues, please follow the suggestion in method 2.

Method 2:

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
    registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Please take a backup of the registry. Follow the steps given in the link below:

How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows

• Open the
      Run
      dialog box by pressing the Windows key and the R key together.
    • Type
      Regedit
      and hit the Enter key.
    • When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

• In the right pane, right click on
      “LegacyDefaultPrinterMode” and click modify to change the value of
      LegacyDefaultPrinterMode from the default 0 to 1.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Try setting you default printer again.

Windows 10 default printer changes on its own 2e34abe8-5655-4809-95c6-a159b665677b?upload=true.png

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Feb 1, 2021
  4. Windows 10 default printer changes on its own

Change default media player in Windows 10

I want to change my default printer but there is no way to do this in Windows 10. When I right click on the printer that I want as my default there is no choice that says make this default printer. Somehow the choice that is chosen is the fax part of the
    printer. Why is this so complicated? When I look on the Windows website it shows what to do for Windows 7 and the info is incorrect for Windows 10. When I went into Default Programs as was suggested my Ashish Sondhi there was no info as to how to choose
    a default printer. Please help.

Francine-223, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 default printer changes on its own

1. Windows 10 default printer changes on its own - Similar Threads - default printer changes

2. Windows changing window on its own.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows changing window on its own.: i have an annoying problem. windows switches windows or applications on its own. eg. I'm working in an excel file and suddenly I'm in the file explorer. it's like hitting win + tab. I had this problem in windows 10 and still have it after upgrading to windows 11. I hope you...
  3. Windows changing window on its own.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows changing window on its own.: i have an annoying problem. windows switches windows or applications on its own. eg. I'm working in an excel file and suddenly I'm in the file explorer. it's like hitting win + tab. I had this problem in windows 10 and still have it after upgrading to windows 11. I hope you...
  4. Wallpaper changing on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wallpaper changing on its own: When I set a custom wallpaper, it changes on its own a set a random picture as my new wallpaper. How do I fix this reoccurring issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wallpaper-changing-on-its-own/3b01bc1e-626e-4495-9e06-b5f88c57f7a5
  5. Printer Prints on its own

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer Prints on its own: I have the HP Officejet 8715. Lately if I do not shut down the printer, it prints all sorts of garbage on its own. Sheets and sheets of paper. I have tried the following to correct the issue to no avail. Deleted and uninstalled the printer and download new...
  6. Tabs changing on its own

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tabs changing on its own: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/arry__ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kfhw69/tabs_changing_on_its_own/
  7. Time changing on its own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time changing on its own: I have a desk top running with windows 10 and every few weeks or so I find my time is an hour off. I have looked at all of the simple avenues but not finding anything that seems to be to be the reason. bill...
  8. Color changed on its own

Color changed on its own: Recent update has made the background in file explorer black. Can I change it back to white? It is very hard on my eyes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/color-changed-on-its-own/b948612d-ae00-4c54-a358-3194808c09bb
  9. Windows 10 Lockscreen changes on its own.

Windows 10 Lockscreen changes on its own.: My lockscreen keeps changing itself, i have tried everything to stop it but nothing works. Its on picture, not slideshow, not spotlight, picture. I have no idea what is doing it but i need help. Laptop: hp envy m7-j120dx OS: Windows 10 Home 134473
  10. Default printer keeps changing on its own.

in Windows 10 Support
    Default printer keeps changing on its own.: I have a Dymo LabelWriter 400 Turbo directly connected by USB and a HP LaserJet 4100DTN connected by Ethernet. The HP is the default printer but *every time* I print a label to the Dymo, Windows 10 automatically changes it to be the default printer that all other programs...