Windows 10: Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons

Discus and support Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I have worked out how to customize the windows 10 start menu and then use powershell to import it so default users or new users start menu is set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by richie231186, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons

So I have worked out how to customize the windows 10 start menu and then use powershell to import it so default users or new users start menu is set using the following commands and editing defaultlayout.xml:

#Export start layout and customize
    Code: Export-StartLayout -Path $env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\defaultlayouts.xml[/quote] #Import new start layout
    Code: Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath $env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\DefaultLayouts.xml -MountPath $env:SystemDrive\[/quote] But no matter what I have tried I can not get any folder shortcuts to work and I have tried every idea I can find or think of but when you create a new user and login all folder shortcuts are gone and if you export the layout for a new user it is missing the entire line of code for any folder icons but no others. I am starting to think Windws 10 just does not allow you to use folder icons which is completly nuts why bother with start menu customizaion if I can't put My Documents shortcuts in there since you can create universal links to profile folders using "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" ink shortcuts.

As per Microsofts recommendation I copy the ink files for my documents etc into the correct folders:

"If you added tiles that require .url or .lnk files, add the .url and .lnk files to the following Start Menu directories:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
    "

My customized start menu XML:

Code: <LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"> <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" /> <DefaultLayoutOverride> <StartLayoutCollection> <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"> <start:Group Name="Folders" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\computer.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Downloads.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Documents.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Downloads (DESKTOP-BM692N7).lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="4" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Pictures.lnk" /> </start:Group> <start:Group Name="Programs" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Mozilla Firefox.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sublime Text 3.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\µTorrent.lnk" /> </start:Group> </defaultlayout:StartLayout> </StartLayoutCollection> </DefaultLayoutOverride> </LayoutModificationTemplate>[/quote]
    Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons [​IMG]

What you end up with when you create a new user:
    Code: <LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"> <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" /> <DefaultLayoutOverride> <StartLayoutCollection> <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"> <start:Group Name="Folders" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\computer.lnk" /> </start:Group> <start:Group Name="Programs" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Mozilla Firefox.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sublime Text 3.lnk" /> <startWindows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\µTorrent.lnk" /> </start:Group> </defaultlayout:StartLayout> </StartLayoutCollection> </DefaultLayoutOverride> </LayoutModificationTemplate>[/quote]
    Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons [​IMG]

I have tried using %ALLUSERSPROFILES% etc for linking to the ink files.
    As you can see though it has removed the xml for any folder icons.

This is the only thing holding me back from having a perfect setup for creating multiple layouts for different machines then simply selecting one and importing on any new machine setup for all users *Sad

:)

richie231186, Jan 31, 2017

2. Is there a way to change the default Windows 10 File Explorer layout view, regardless of content type

When using Windows 10 File explorer to open directories, folders and sub-folders, the default layout view changes depending on the file content type in the folders.

Music, Pictures, Videos, application files etc...

The majority of default view is Large Icons. I always have to manually change them to 'Details'

When I manually change the view of a specific folder to 'Details', Windows seems to remember that as a preference because the next time I open that same folder, it retains the last layout view I used.

As I cannot change the layout view manually for each and every folder,

How can I change the default layout view for every existing folder and every newly created folder to open in a 'Details' layout view.

**moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & Personalization.

Chuck_Bytes, Jan 31, 2017
  3. An update was installed on the night of Dec 14/15, 2017. My start menu items/tiles/icons were reset.

The start menu layout that I had before the update has been replace by default icons.

Can I get the old layout back? It's been < 8 hours since the update completed.

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup**

Augustine Roten, Jan 31, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons

update: I notice shared drives work just fine for example, \\nas\SharedDir\ will work just fine. However any reference to a local folder in C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml does not get used by Windows 10

richie231186, Feb 2, 2017
  5. MikeyMcG Win User
    I've seen the same sort of problem here (Windows 10 1607). I create some .URL shortcuts and copy them to the "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder and I make sure that the XML file points to the appropriate .URL file in that path.
    The .URL shortcuts never show up for new users.

Did you ever figure this out?

MikeyMcG, Feb 16, 2017
  6. Nope still haven't found a solution. Interesting that it also does this for URLs. The sad part is there is not a lot of Microsoft documentation on it that I can find either *Sad

I feel like all microsoft cares about is the universal apps and being able to pin stuff associated with it, like their new grouping function that looks great for their mobile apps, as I call them. Yet still the functionality for actual windows applications, folders, links etc across multiple users is so lacking.

richie231186, Feb 16, 2017
  7. ITCO Win User
    Anyone find a solution?

I've been stuck with the same issue of trying to import a Start Tile .xml file and cannot get it to work with folder shortcuts. I ended up trying the same things as the poster before I found this thread.

8. Charlie C Win User

Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons

The solution to your problem is to create a shortcut manually, and use the following format.
    In the case of the accessories folder, C:\Windows\explorer.exe "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories"

Pin that.
    Export layout.
    Create a shortcut on the target (Machine you are importing on) in the %Appdata%\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\ folder with the same name as the shortcut in the XML.
    Import the layout on the target machine.
    Open powershell.
    run the following.
    tdlrecover.exe -resetcache -resetlayout.

Voila.

*Fades back into the shadows*

Charlie C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons

1. Windows 10 Default Start Menu Layout Add Folder Icons - Similar Threads - Default Start Menu

2. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  3. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu Layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start Menu Layout: So I'm trying to update my users' start layouts using Group Policy Management. All computers are running Windows 10 v1903. When we first got the computers, I deployed a custom image through MDT to do all of the setup, including the start menu layout and taskbar layout and...
  5. windows start menu layout

windows start menu layout: Somehow I changed to the icon tiles on the start menu. I want the classic menu list instead. Now I can't change it. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-layout/f2ea93ee-57c8-4a20-a6e7-af7a6108f6ab
  6. can I add custom icons to folders on windows 10 start menu

can I add custom icons to folders on windows 10 start menu: Many of my icons on the windows 10 start menu show just the picture of a folder. Is there a way to add text to the icon to identify the program...
  7. Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.

Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.: Hi.....somehow I lost my original start page menu layout. I can access everything as before, but the layout is different and I have to click on more buttons etc. Is there a way I can get the original layout without doing a computer restore and having to 'customize' things...
  8. Start menu layout

Start menu layout: Is there a way to reset the start menu layout? Like when you start a new user? I'm using windows 10 version 1803. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-menu-layout/a51f03a8-cc0c-4d8f-82df-8c2de79651a1
  9. How to add custom folder icons as default?

How to add custom folder icons as default?: hi, I am new to this forums, so pardon my mistakes... I would like to know how to change the default plain folder icons to custom folder as default... I was able to change lots of icons using customisergod from door2windows... but i got stuck with "folders which have...
  10. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tdlrecover

2. windows 10 start menu layout add icons

3. default desktop and start menu icons folder

4. start layout add folder to start menu,
  5. tdlrecover.exe build 1809,
  6. startlayout add folder to start menu,
  7. tdlrecover.exe 1809