Windows 10: Windows 10 Defender - Quick/Full Scans Last Only 15 Seconds??

Discus and support Windows 10 Defender - Quick/Full Scans Last Only 15 Seconds?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Got a weird issue with Windows 10 Defender Antivirus: Windows 10 Defender scans for less than 15 seconds and then finishes? Does not matter if... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JeZxLee, Sep 24, 2019.

1. JeZxLee Win User

Windows 10 Defender - Quick/Full Scans Last Only 15 Seconds??

Hi,

Got a weird issue with Windows 10 Defender Antivirus:
    Windows 10 Defender scans for less than 15 seconds and then finishes?
    Does not matter if quick scan or full scan...total of about 15 files scanned for each...

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Jesse

:)

JeZxLee, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

The bug has been fixed with the release of definitions 1.301.1684.0

Windows 10 Defender - Quick/Full Scans Last Only 15 Seconds?? [​IMG]

And fixed for MSE in Windows 7 too.

3. Bree Win User

The bug is entirely the fault of the virus definitions.

It has nothing to do with the version of Defender, or even Windows 10 come to that. Exactly the same problem is seen in Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials.

After updating the virus definitions to 1.301.1645.0 (MSE and Defender use the same definition files) you can see here that a Quick scan has scanned just 44 files!

Here's the same 'before and after' Quick Scan test on a different W7/MSE machine.

A subsequent Full Scan on this machine also only checked 50 items.

4. Bree Win User

I was looking at this on another thread, and before updating the definitions I saw this....

...and after updating got this:

But this is the really worrying one, there's no way just 90 files can be a Full scan:

Only a Custom scan seems to do what it says on the tin.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Defender - Quick/Full Scans Last Only 15 Seconds?? - Similar Threads - Defender Quick Full

2. Defender Quick Scan only takes 20 seconds to complete -- Is it really scanning?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Quick Scan only takes 20 seconds to complete -- Is it really scanning?: I took a backup of a Windows 2012 R2 system. I restored that backup to a directory on a Linux server and exported that backup as a samba share. I mounted the samba share on a Windows 2019 system and ran the following defender command line from a cygwin shell. The command line...
  3. Windows Defender ; quick scan.

Windows Defender ; quick scan.: When I start a scan on Windows Defender, it lasts around two minutes then stops scanning. Can anyone help please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-quick-scan/f8f546ed-8728-418a-a754-eb4a7116ea89
  4. Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan: I've scheduled a Defender weekly run (which wasn't easy) but I find that it's using the Quick Scan option. I'd like it to do the Full Scan option. I went to Microsoft's "help" pages but they just led me around in circles. I this possible? Or am I barking into the wind?...
  5. Windows 10 Quick and full scan not working

Windows 10 Quick and full scan not working: Hi, I wanted to do a virus scan, but for some reason it's been stuck at 0 files scanned, Estimated time remaining, 0 and it SAYS it's not doing anything, but it did find a couple of trojans anyways. Can anyone help me fix the visual bug, if it even is one? [ATTACH]...
  6. Defender Full Scans are very short and quick

Defender Full Scans are very short and quick: Is this normal? My most recent Full Defender scan took 5 minutes. Why is this? Does Defender save or cache the already scanned files and mark them as safe so it does not need to re-scan them again? Would this be the reasoning? If yes, how could I remove the already scanned...
  7. Windows Defender only scanning 15 files

Windows Defender only scanning 15 files: Just today, Defender started scanning 15 files only (quick or full) Quick scan normally scans 38,000+Full 1.11M+ everything was OK yesterday, support will call on 20/09/2019 Running Windows 10 (1809) on i7 laptop Has anyone come across this before?...
  8. Defenders Full Scan

Defenders Full Scan: I decided to do a full scan of my computer to see if everything was alright and it's been hours since then. It's still continuing to scan my files and the time remaining went down at first but now it's increasing instead of decreasing. I don't know why and I'm wondering if I...
  9. Defender: no Full Scan

Defender: no Full Scan: Windows Defender tells me no action is needed. But when I use "Run a new advanced scan" nothing happens. No dialog to choose option for Full Scan. Terry, East Grinstead, UK Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.167)...
  10. Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows Defender - Quick Scan: Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option. My options are: Scan Advanced Scan Full Scan Custom Scan Windows Defender Offline scan Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete. Is a quick scan available? How do I restore this...