Windows 10: Windows 10 Defender runs high CPU when logged in and doesn't stop until logged out.

Discus and support Windows 10 Defender runs high CPU when logged in and doesn't stop until logged out. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've never heard of this issue, so I can only tell you what's not true about this issue. 1. None of the non-Microsoft services is causing this issue.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Terry Ron Vantreese, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Defender runs high CPU when logged in and doesn't stop until logged out.

I've never heard of this issue, so I can only tell you what's not true about this issue.

1. None of the non-Microsoft services is causing this issue. I know because I shut them all down.

2. Steps to repeat: 1 Login. Just one step.

3. Performed a full scan.

4. Cleared the schedule actually it was already cleared.

5. Excluded scanning itself both in their Program Files folder, ProgramData folder, and the process MsMpEng.exe

6. I ran the sfc /scannow.

7. I rolled back using the system restore. I thought it resolved, but the issue came back.

8. I upgraded to 20H2.

9. I upgraded all optionals.

10. I'm unable to adjust the affinity or priority because it's protecting itself.

11. I am Administrator.

12. Nobody on the internet mentioned this issue, although many have similar issues.

:)

Terry Ron Vantreese, Feb 21, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 doesn`t log in after update

Hi,

You may need to reset your password for you to access your account again. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Are you trying to log in to your Microsoft Account or to your Windows 10 local account?
    • Have you tried resetting your password?

Meanwhile, you're trying to log in to your Microsoft Account, we suggest that you follow the steps in this

forum article
    shared by PaulSey on how to reset your password and recover your Microsoft Account.

If you're trying to log in to your Windows 10 local account, we suggest that you perform the instructions in this

article
    on how you can reset your Windows 10 local account.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Feb 21, 2021
  3. Windows Defender doesn´t load in Windows 10 startup and run slowwwwly

After updated the Windows 7 to 10 and error in avast (loaded very slowly Chrome. , f.ex.), i was uninstall the avast and used the Windows Defender (native of Windows) to protect against virus, malware and others bad things. But, the system runs more
    quickly, and the Windows defender runs slooowwwwly; the rapld (quick) verification run slowly, 11.000 files in 9 hours (???????). Is correct? In Windows 7 the same process run quickly and the process take a 2 hours, maximum. Now, the windows defender´s icon
    doesn´t show in taskbar, and i can´t ideia if the program is full loaded.

Thanks

Martin.

Tin Master, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Bart J. Win User

Windows 10 Defender runs high CPU when logged in and doesn't stop until logged out.

wpcmon.exe high CPU usage

Your remark about high IO got me thinking. I had a hunch that it could be caused by lack of permissions when trying to initialize some resource. So what I did:

• I changed the account type of my children to 'Administrator'
    • I logged into their accounts --> the CPU usage of wpcmon.exe averaged around a reasonable 5%
    • I logged out of their accounts again
    • I changed their account types back to 'Standard User'
    • Logging back into their accounts, I did not see high CPU usage anymore
    I'll check again later to see if it's not a coincidence.

For completeness sake, while diagnosing I also:

• cleared all the event logs
    • I tried running the 'FamilySafetyMonitor' task as Administrator (in Task Scheduler definition you can choose a user and set the password - see my previous post where to find it) but this caused the job to go into an infinite loop of starting & stopping.
    • installed the latest updates for Windows 10.
    • I logged on to familysafety.microsoft.com and merged my children's settings for that PC to the new Windows 10 definition.
    So maybe one of those fixed it but I honestly doubt it.

Bart J., Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Defender runs high CPU when logged in and doesn't stop until logged out.

1. Windows 10 Defender runs high CPU when logged in and doesn't stop until logged out. - Similar Threads - Defender runs high

2. Windows defender stopped updating logs in app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender stopped updating logs in app: I need to allow access to a folder for Docker. But when I open windows defender appfrom notification about blocked access, it only shows me logs that are from 8/27/2022 and older. Also in event viewer it shows me newer logs. I installed all updates from windows update....
  3. Windows defender stopped updating logs in app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender stopped updating logs in app: I need to allow access to a folder for Docker. But when I open windows defender appfrom notification about blocked access, it only shows me logs that are from 8/27/2022 and older. Also in event viewer it shows me newer logs. I installed all updates from windows update....
  4. Windows defender stopped updating logs in app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 not logging out

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 not logging out: Whenever I put my computer to sleep the next time I turn it back on I am immediately logged in without needing a password or anything, I don't even see the splash screen for password....
  6. Logged out of windows 10.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Logged out of windows 10.: I accidentally logged into someone else's Gmail account whilst signing into Microsoft Edge for the first time, and skipped the process of typing in a password. After that I turned off my computer, a Windows 10, now I am logged out of my computer and can't login since the...
  7. Windows signs me out of various apps until I log out and log in again

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows signs me out of various apps until I log out and log in again: This is weird. Over the past couple of weeks, I keep getting signed out of Chrome therefore out of Gmail and other websites, and Skype. I know that these seem unrelated to Windows, but after a huge amount of searching online, with some trial and error, I've discovered that...
  8. log in and log out history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    log in and log out history: Please i'm trying check the log in and log out history for last 2 months but i can only see for 1 day in event viewer on my windows 10 laptop. Kindly assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/log-in-and-log-out-history/843f1af0-09cb-46fa-9dcc-c4d71225bf7a
  9. Log out functinality without logging out?

in Windows 10 Support
    Log out functinality without logging out?: Ola everyone! Everyone is familiar with the log out function in Windows 10; windows key+L, which takes us to the log in screen! Is there a function that gives us the same features as the log out function, but allows for the program running to be displayed on screen instead...
  10. High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High background CPU usage but only when two users logged in: My W10 (64) PC runs slowly owing to high CPU usage by background tasks but only when I have two users logged in (probably be the same with more users but not tried it). Processes such as runtimemonitor.exe, services.exe and Microsoft photos (even though it has not be run up)...