Windows 10: Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files

Discus and support Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Win10 Home 64bit on a MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard, i7-6700, 16 GB ram. This is a new build for me and I just installed Win10 Home and did all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mck, Nov 15, 2018.

1. MCK
    mck Win User

Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files

Running Win10 Home 64bit on a MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard, i7-6700, 16 GB ram.
    This is a new build for me and I just installed Win10 Home and did all updates.

When I download programs with Defender running, do I have to manually scan the file before installing the program?

When I tried to manually scan a downloaded program using the following method, it doesn't show results of the scan:
    • Rt click the file name.
    • In the pop up menu, click "Scan with Windows Defender"
    • A window pops up showing "Full Scan", "Custom Scan" and "Windows defender offline scan", but no results of the individual file scan.
    Thanks for any ideas.

:)

2. Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Nov 15, 2018
  3. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Nov 15, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files

Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files

1. Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files - Similar Threads - Defender scanning downloaded

2. Does Windows Defender scan all files that are downloaded?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows Defender scan all files that are downloaded?: Just a question, does windows defender scan all files that i download and quarantine them if they are harmful? Including archives such as rar or zip?...
  3. Does Windows Defender scan all files that are downloaded?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows Defender scan all files that are downloaded?: Just a question, does windows defender scan all files that i download and quarantine them if they are harmful? Including archives such as rar or zip?...
  4. Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender: Why am I getting this message "contact IT help desk" to custom scan with Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-custom-scan-a-file-in-downloads-folder-with/8b775ac6-e938-498b-8e37-b73279e3db55
  5. Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender: Why am I getting this message "contact IT help desk" to custom scan with Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-custom-scan-a-file-in-downloads-folder-with/8b775ac6-e938-498b-8e37-b73279e3db55
  6. Can't custom scan a file in DOWNLOADS folder with Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Windows Defender scanning an excluded file

Windows Defender scanning an excluded file: Hi Having Windows Defender running on a server 2016.Excluded a folder: s:\database\application\dataVerified in the logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supportthe exclusion:2021-07-22T00:22:08.983Z [Exclusion] s:\database\application\data ->...
  8. Edge scans downloads with Windows Defender?

Edge scans downloads with Windows Defender?: Hi, Does Edge (Chromium) use Windows Defender or the registered AV to do the scan on downloads? I have MalwareBytes Premium. I noticed when downloading a file that it will say it's being scanned. So is it being scanned by Windows Defender or MalwareBytes? MalwareBytes is the...
  9. Scan Single File with Windows Defender

Scan Single File with Windows Defender: Windows support information states that to scan a single file or folder to <rightclick> the item in file explorer and select "scan" In win8.1 there is no "scan" option when a file or folder is <rightclicked> Any options to scan individual items? Thanks in advance,...
  10. Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files

Windows 10 Defender scanning downloaded files: Running Win10 Home 64bit on a MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard, i7-6700, 16 GB ram. This is a new build for me and I just installed Win10 Home and did all updates. When I download programs with Defender running, do I have to manually scan the file before installing the program?...