Windows 10: Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan

Discus and support Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Twice now I have attempted to run a full scan and both times I return to check on the computer and it has shut down. How do I correct this?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bbran, Sep 13, 2020.

1. bbran Win User

Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan

Twice now I have attempted to run a full scan and both times I return to check on the computer and it has shut down. How do I correct this?

:)

bbran, Sep 13, 2020

2. windows defender scanning stopped

Hi Mary,

As per the issue description you are unable to scan your computer using Windows Defender. While scanning your system you are getting an error message "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped. You can start the service manually or
    restart you computer, which will start the service."

The issue could be if the service responsible for Windows defender either get corrupted or is stopped. Try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows Defender are running. If it is running make sure the status is Automatic. You may follow the steps provided below to check the services.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each service and start the service if not running.

Method 2

If issue persists, try to refer the articles mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Updating your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 13, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Defender not Running Regular Scan

I've never understood the need some people feel to set up a scheduled task to run a Defender scan. For the past year the automatic maintenance has run Defender scans for me.

That is, until the Anniversary Upgrade - it broke something and Defender never ran another scan. It finally alerted me that a scan was long overdue. I followed the suggestion on another thread...
    Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan
    ...and the automatic maintenance scans are back to running regularly again.

4. Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan

How do I get Windows Defender to run a daily scan?

Hi Bill,

To run the Windows Defender automatically, we suggest that you follow the steps on this link:

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender.

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan

1. Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan - Similar Threads - Defender shuts down

2. My computer shut down itself during defender full scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer shut down itself during defender full scan: I just bought a full set of computer and did all the test, including the stress test and I don't think shutting itself is related with the heat.I tested for few times, whenever I hit fullscan, at the exact 35th seconds both computer and monitor shut itself....
  3. My computer shut down itself during defender full scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer shut down itself during defender full scan: I just bought a full set of computer and did all the test, including the stress test and I don't think shutting itself is related with the heat.I tested for few times, whenever I hit fullscan, at the exact 35th seconds both computer and monitor shut itself....
  4. My computer shut down itself during defender full scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Defender Full Scan causes PC to shut down once completed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Full Scan causes PC to shut down once completed: I have scheduled a weekly full scan via the Task Scheduler which has been working well for months but for the last two weeks my PC shuts down following completion of the scan, the task scheduler shows the scan has compIeted but the results do not show in the Windows Defender...
  6. Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan

Windows 10 Defender shuts down computer when trying to run a full scan: Twice now I have attempted to run a full scan and both times I return to check on the computer and it has shut down. How do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-10-defender-shuts-down-computer-when/35a5674d-782c-4143-87ea-03a1aec22d58
  7. Windows 10 full virus scan shutting down

Windows 10 full virus scan shutting down: In the last few months, my laptop has shut down when I do a full or custom scan. The quick scan and offline scan are fine and don't show any threats or viruses but any deep scan of all or a single drive goes for hours and then shuts down about 3/4 of the way through....
  8. When I run a Custom Windows Custom Scan, Computer shuts down

When I run a Custom Windows Custom Scan, Computer shuts down: Recently my laptop has started shutting down when I run a custom (not quick) Virus & Threat Protection Scan. I am using Windows 10 on a ASUS laptop. The scan I did on a removable hard drive did this again tonight and when I restarted I received a message about SYSTEM THREAD...
  9. Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender unable to complete a full scan of the disk / shuts down computer / weird: Hi, Every now and then I like to run a full scan of all the drives in my computer (Windows 10). Lately I am unable to complete this task. The symptoms are a little weird. When I kick off either a full or custom scan I see the CPU utilization ramp up ultimately to the...
  10. Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender

Unable to run full scan on Windows Defender: I am unable to run a full scan on Windows Defender - the scan runs extremely slowly (only a dozen files per minute) and often hangs. The issue isn't that I have too many files - I've used only half of my available space and full scan worked perfectly well before I upgraded to...