Windows 10: Windows 10 Defender v 8.1 Defender

Discus and support Windows 10 Defender v 8.1 Defender in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Morning All, I wonder if someone could help me out. On 8.1 I've always used a paid for alternative to Defender, but on 10 I only run Defender (with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TechFan180, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Defender v 8.1 Defender

Morning All, I wonder if someone could help me out. On 8.1 I've always used a paid for alternative to Defender, but on 10 I only run Defender (with Malwarebytes as a back up). Are both versions on Defender the same or is there some very real differences between them. Renewal time is coming up and if Defender is just as good on 8.1 as it is on 10 I'll stick with that.

Many Thanks

:)

TechFan180, Jul 23, 2020

2. Good alternative to Windows Defender on 8.1

I had to do a format and reinstall on my main rig, and thought I may as well upgrade to 8.1. My only real gripe is my Downloads folder lagging like hell, which I've read is due to Windows Defender. Now I really like MSE/Windows Defender because it's unobtrusive and lets me do what I want to do without pissing me off. Several attempts to try another antivirus program have always resulted in me going back to MSE (either due to viral infection or general annoyance). The lagging, while not an issue per se, is annoying the hell out of me. So I'd like suggestions for a good, free alternative that will be unobtrusive, not try to block everything I want to do (I'm smart enough to know what I'm doing), and not make my PC lag even when running a schedules scan.

Thanks.

Red_Machine, Aug 4, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Aug 4, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 Defender v 8.1 Defender

Good alternative to Windows Defender on 8.1

An easy way to see if Defender is the cause of the slow folder loading is to just disable Defender and open the folder. If it still does it, then it is Explorer being stupid, if it opens quickly then it is Defender.

newtekie1, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Defender v 8.1 Defender

1. Windows 10 Defender v 8.1 Defender - Similar Threads - Defender Defender

2. How do I repair Windows Defender in Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I repair Windows Defender in Windows 10?: I have been told it might be corrupted, so how do I repair it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-repair-windows-defender-in-windows-10/e7d17b32-c295-4685-9b42-12950f91223e
  3. Regarding a Defender firewall auto renewal email - Is it a scam?

Regarding a Defender firewall auto renewal email - Is it a scam?: Hello , I received the following email on August 13th 2020 from Microsoft team and I wanted to know whether its a genuine email from microsoft or not. I really need help as I am touch with these people and I did what they said. Please reply and help me out asap and also...
  4. Windows Security (Defender) and Protection history empty

Windows Security (Defender) and Protection history empty: Windows Defender keeps deleting/removing/quarantining files but there's no information what was removed. This has happened several different ways, but recently Action Center said something like 3 files removed by Windows Defender. Then I go to Windows Security (Virus & threat...
  5. Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly

Windows Defender CPU Limit is not working properly: I have Windows server 2016, In which we are using windows defender. During full scan of windows defender CPU usage is 100%. To limit CPU usage i have edited group policy and set cpu usage to 30 but still it is not working and cpu usage reached 100% during full scan. Note:...
  6. Turning on Windows Defender after using O&O ShutUp10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning on Windows Defender after using O&O ShutUp10: Hello, I used to use Avast as my antivirus, but got tired of it so I wanted to go back to using Windows Defender. I had disabled Defender using O&O ShutUp10 to avoid conflicts between the two. Alongside an antivirus software I use Malwarebytes. I uninstalled Avast using its...
  7. Defender Detects Driver Store Explorer as a Serious Threat

Defender Detects Driver Store Explorer as a Serious Threat: I downloaded the latest version of Driver Store Explorer as suggested on this forum - post 82 here DriverStoreExplorer [RAPR] Defender found a serious threat which it removed on a full scan. 61 virus engines on Virus Total rate it as OK but Microsoft found it as...
  8. If I turn off S Mode the Windows Defender remains intact?

If I turn off S Mode the Windows Defender remains intact?: If I turn off S Mode the Windows Defender remains intact? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-turn-off-s-mode-the-windows-defender-remains/5ed2fb85-3583-4114-b889-06ff9afbd790
  9. how do I start my anti virus protection now that I've paused Defender?

how do I start my anti virus protection now that I've paused Defender?: how do I start my anti virus protection now that I've paused Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-start-my-anti-virus-protection-now-that/639e3c71-ef0c-47e2-b64e-c5c0304039be
  10. Defender turned itself off

Defender turned itself off: Split from this thread. Windows defender for windows 8.1 has turned off on my computer and I can not figure out how to turn it back on? It all started when Windows defender showed red then switched to turned off....