Windows 10: Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

Discus and support Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I tried to delete a folder, Windows 10 instead deleted the Parent folder of the folder I tried to delete. I think I mouse clicked on the folder I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cyborg_9no1, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

When I tried to delete a folder, Windows 10 instead deleted the Parent folder of the folder I tried to delete.

I think I mouse clicked on the folder I wanted, right clicked, and chose "delete". Perhaps, I selected the file and then hit the delete key on the keyboard. However I selected "delete", a message popped up saying that the file size was too large for the Recycle Bin, and did I want to bypass it and permanently delete the file? I clicked "yes".....without looking at the name of the file to be deleted. Perhaps it said the file I wanted. Perhaps it said the name of the parent file. I didn't check. I just deleted. A message popped up telling me Windows was currently deleting the parent file - not the file I had selected. I tried to stop this, but I was unsuccessful.

This is a relatively new installation of Windows 10. I had not activated Restore Points or File History. I had no backups.

I realize my mistakes and will work hard for this not to happen in the future.

I searched around for a solution. I found people discussing this issue in Windows 7:

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/174108-windows-deletes-wrong-folder-parent-directory.html

- I also am pretty sure that I did have the Parent folder selected. I was deleting a folder within a folder the same way I have always done in the past on other computers.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/it-is-easy-to-accidentally-delete-a-parent-folder/64367ccf-0ecb-4d49-884c-8f5f5939740c?page=1

- The last posts in this thread had someone commenting that the issue was still not fixed in Windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-deleted-parent-folder-of-folder-i-was/08d4833c-3352-460e-a8b8-4de11c2b4f56

- This, I think is about the issue in Windows 10. Maybe I am wrong. I didn't see a solution but some good advice on how to prevent the issue from happening.

-----

This is the second time on my newly built computer that I have deleted a Parent Folder but thought I was deleting a sub folder in the tree. I have been using Windows since Windows 95 and have gone through all editions including Windows 10 on other computers. I have never experienced this issue before on any other computer. I can't understand why it happened. There must be something wrong with my version of Windows 10....or the way it interacts with my computer. My bad is that I did not have Restore Points activated, and I had not backed up. Now, I am trying to get back my Parent File.

-------

I make hidden files viewable. I made system files viewable so that I could see the recycle.bin file of my external HD. My deleted file in neither in computer recycle bin of course nor in my external HD recycle.bin. I have run searches of the name of some of the deleted files. I ran Easus. Though Easeus did find deleted files, it did not find my deleted Parent file or any of the files within. I ran Recuva and searched for Movie and Video files as that was what was in my deleted Parent file. No luck, but I am running it again. Recuva takes a looonngg time to run.

I tried CHKDSK, but I ran into problems reading the drive. I'll work on that.

I am not using the external drive except to run these recovery searches. The deleted files should still be there as I have not overwritten them. I just can't find them.

What do I need to do next and why do you think I have experienced this issue twice on my computer when I have never had the issue before on any other computer? Could it be a hardware problem like my motherboard or mouse?

Thank you

:)

cyborg_9no1, Apr 4, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 4, 2021
  3. R9
    r9 Win User
    Trouble deleting a folder

Download norton commander for windows and try it. I`m using it for deleting those autorun.inf virus files that stuck to the USB drives or second non system partition. If no file is used from windows folder NC should erase it easy. And there is Hiren`s boot disk that you can download it is bootable and has volkov commander on it similar to NC and it runs in DOS and it will delete windows folder 100%. Or you can make USB stick bootable and use deltree command.

4. RoboX Win User

Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

Windows 8 - delete windows folders in another drive

I have the problem (from Windows 8) to delete the folders windows and programs on a secondary disk on which it was 7 .... know how to get full control to delete those folders?

RoboX, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

1. Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete - Similar Threads - deleted parent folder

2. Trying to delete folder with the name "----- "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to delete folder with the name "----- ": I accidentally ended up with a folder with the name "----- ". 5 hyphens and a space When I try to delete that folder, I get the error " Could not find this item This is no longer located in F:\cant_delete. Verify the item's location and try again." I can move and rename the...
  3. Trying to delete folder with the name "----- "

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to delete folder with the name "----- ": I accidentally ended up with a folder with the name "----- ". 5 hyphens and a space When I try to delete that folder, I get the error " Could not find this item This is no longer located in F:\cant_delete. Verify the item's location and try again." I can move and rename the...
  4. Issue trying to delete a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue trying to delete a folder: [ATTACH] I was trying to delete a copy and paste I made (aka a backup which I no longer needed), it all worked normally, but then this popped up: https://preview.redd.it/z06qgcaox5q51.png?width=449&format=png&auto=webp&s=6db9b7c72c00feec3e6d7a0a9b68ddda69b55a46 submitted...
  5. Created Folder ... which points to the parent folder, can't delete it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Created Folder ... which points to the parent folder, can't delete it.: I managed to get a folder with the name ... created. When I double-click it, it resolves to the same directory I was in, so it is an infinite loop. I can't delete the folder because it is not empty or the parent folder because it is not empty. I can't rename or move it....
  6. Windows 10 email - deleting folders, deleting emails from folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 email - deleting folders, deleting emails from folders: Windows 10 email has deleted all my folder from my mail. I re-added a number of folder which are all still there but now the emails that have been put in there have been deleted also. It is doing this by itself... Help...
  7. Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete: Hello Microsoft community, I was deleting some folders, the file structure looked like this: Projects\ \Project1 \Project2 \ .. The .. refers to a folder name. I deleted the folder named ".." and it ended up deleting the entire...
  8. Folder deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder deleted: I accidentally clicked CTRL+Z and my picture folder was deleted. Any idea on how to recover it? It was just barely downloaded and I didn't even have a chance to back it up before the slip up. Any support is welcome!!...
  9. How do I delete or move parent folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I delete or move parent folder?: So, today I was cleaning up my laptop and I tried moving the 3D Objects folder into the Downloads folder through properties. Instead of becoming a child folder like I had hoped, it is now synced with the Downloads folder. I have tried moving it back to be named 3D Objects...
  10. Delete Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Folder in Windows 10: How to: Delete Folder in Windows 10 How to Delete a Folder in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you different ways on how to delete a folder in Windows 10. *Warning Deleting a folder will also delete all contents inside the folder. *note Deleting a folder from a...