Windows 10: Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down.

Discus and support Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently updated windows 10, I had no updated it in awhile and it caused problems. Often when I shut down, restart, or sleep/standby my laptop I find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ShiroUO, Jan 7, 2020.

1. ShiroUO Win User

Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down.

I recently updated windows 10, I had no updated it in awhile and it caused problems. Often when I shut down, restart, or sleep/standby my laptop I find certain files VLC Player, Discord Chat, Google Chrome, etc will be gone. The shortcut will be missing from the desktop and the icon for the taskbar will be tell me it no longer works.

They don't ever all go at once but it happens to at least one program that has to be installed each time I start the laptop up. This is an HP Notebook.

:)

ShiroUO, Jan 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 won't sleep, shut down in place of sleep

Hello Tim,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with sleep issue in Windows 10. We will certainly help you.

This issue could have o cured due to incorrect settings or corrupted power settings on your system. We suggest you to follow the suggestions from the link below and check if it works:

Windows 10 - Desktop PC shuts down by itself while in "sleep" after an hour or so....

For further reference check the steps provided in the link:

Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC

Let us know the results. we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down.

SHUT DOWN / SLEEP FUNCTIONS NOT WORKING

Hi Mo,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. I will do my best to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the laptop?
    • When you say ‘’trying 4 options to enable a shut down’’ which option do you exactly refer to? Are you using any third party software to shut down the computer?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps on sleep mode issue and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display adapter driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. If the display driver is not available for Windows 10, try installing the available driver in compatibility mode and check.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down.

1. Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down. - Similar Threads - deletes programs during

2. Shut down during windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shut down during windows update: So, I had put my windows update on and while the update was going on there was a power cut and therefore, my laptop shut down and the next time I started it windows uninstalled the updates and since then I've been facing a very long boot time and the battery dies really...
  3. Windows 10 Shut Down During Set Up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Shut Down During Set Up: My girlfriend got a new laptop. I went to start it for her so it'd be ready for when she got home. Instead of just turning off the internet, I stupidly used the power button to shut down the computer when it asked for a Microsoft account during setup. Now it just shows a...
  4. Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep

Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep: My laptop keeps shutting down randomly during sleep. When it turns back on I get this message: "The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata." I looked in the event viewer to the entry before the last shutdown and it says: "Connectivity...
  5. Computer shuts down improperly during sleep mode

Computer shuts down improperly during sleep mode: Hello, I just purchased a brand new Lenovo laptop w/ Windows 10. Whenever I put the computer into sleep mode, it will shut down on its own after 30 minutes-1 hour. I find this out as I try to wake it up from sleep and it does not awake. When I turn it on, I can see that the...
  6. Windows stops working and shuts down during sleep sessions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows stops working and shuts down during sleep sessions: Hi there, XPS 9300 user and whenever my computer goes into sleep mode for longer than ~30minutes, it restarts when i open the lid. After running a reliability report, I find out that "windows has stopped working" and "windows was not properly shut down." Any help...
  7. Programs shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs shutting down: My Windows 10 keeps closing all of my programs and the white Windows 10 box keeps popping up asking to shut down. I can't play anything in VLC for more than 5-10 minutes before it all shuts down. Same with Chrome and other programs. One store said it was a bad harddrive and...
  8. Laptop shuts down during installation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop shuts down during installation of Windows 10: Hey Guys! Now I know that this question was asked many times in many different versions, but I feel like mine is more exotic, I also just have not found an answer to my question. Now I have an old HP laptop, which has slowed down significantly, so I wanted to clean it all...
  9. Sleep and Shut Down

Sleep and Shut Down: Using Windows 10. After last update, when I put my computer to sleep and then close the lid, it shuts itself down. Power settings are all as before the update.....I selected the option to have the computer go to sleep when the lid is closed. Anyone else having this...
  10. Windows 10 sometimes 'freezes' during shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 sometimes 'freezes' during shut down: On a few occasions over the time I have had this pc, it will 'freeze' during shut down - the spinning dots animation will stop spinning and nothing more happens until I hold down the power button on the box, which forces it to turn off. It always works fine after I turn it...