Windows 10: Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd

Discus and support Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows keeps deleting stuff from my external drive including very large files for games on steam, how do I fix it from deleting stuff again?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dylan_Guthrie, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd

Windows keeps deleting stuff from my external drive including very large files for games on steam, how do I fix it from deleting stuff again?

:)

Dylan_Guthrie, Feb 3, 2021
  2. Chasbob Win User

Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 3, 2021
  4. Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd

How to install Windows 10 on external HDD

Hello,

I have an external HDD. I want to install Windows 10 Enterprise which I have purchased recently.

Please guide me, if possible step by step on how to install Windows 10 on external HDD.

Thanks,

Siddarth Hegde

SidTheGooner, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd

1. Windows 10 deleting files from external hdd - Similar Threads - deleting files external

2. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete os file from my hdd: i have installed new ssd to my device so need to remove os and software file. Have to make space, which all things need to be deleted in hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-os-file-from-my-hdd/de1c1966-eec1-4e1f-9b65-b8dd2a7c2535
  3. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete os file from my hdd: i have installed new ssd to my device so need to remove os and software file. Have to make space, which all things need to be deleted in hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-os-file-from-my-hdd/de1c1966-eec1-4e1f-9b65-b8dd2a7c2535
  4. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows from SSD to External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows from SSD to External HDD: I am attempting to move Windows from a pre-installed m.2 SSD to a new external HDDSeagate in my brother's HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop. The reason for this swap is because he has purchased a new SSD that has more storage than the current one. The PC did not have an internal HDD...
  6. Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.: Windows Version: 20H2 Build 19042.985 I have an external HDD that is a leftover from a previous laptop and I'm using it for backup. I deleted what I could from it, but it still has some files left that I can't delete. When I try, I get a message telling me I need...
  7. deleting file history on external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting file history on external HDD: Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete...
  8. Latest Win 10 update deleted file system from WD Elements external HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Win 10 update deleted file system from WD Elements external HDD: Hi, My laptop just installed the latest Win 10 update. I did not start it, did it automatically. My laptop was in the middle of doing something, my WD Elements external HDD was connected. I didn't know my laptop is going to update, as a result it was still plugged in...
  9. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  10. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...