Windows 10: Windows 10 Dell Laptop Upgrade Issue

Discus and support Windows 10 Dell Laptop Upgrade Issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I I've upgraded to Win10 on my main desktop, laptop, and my wife's laptop without issue. My wife's aunt was having some problems with her laptop so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bnichols024, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Dell Laptop Upgrade Issue

So I I've upgraded to Win10 on my main desktop, laptop, and my wife's laptop without issue. My wife's aunt was having some problems with her laptop so I took it, cleaned it up a bit and started the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I started the upgrade and once it got to to the automated portion I let it go for a while. When I came back, the laptop was on but on a black screen with no cursor. I powered it off and the Dell boot screen came up, followed by the Windows 10 icon and the spinning circle. It then gets past that and returns to the black screen. I don't have any external monitors connected to the laptop. Any ideas?

:)

Bnichols024, Aug 11, 2015

2. Any issues with Windows 10 supporting 4 monitors?

I have four monitors attached to all of my office laptops, there are Dell's, and I want to upgrade to windows 10. are there any issues with Windows 10 not supporting 4 monitors?

Old title: upgrading to windows 10 on a laptop

DougCrowley, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Transfer of Windows 10 Pro from an old Dell laptop to a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home preinstalled

It is possible to upgrade a new Windows 10 Home Dell laptop with my old Dell laptops Windows 10 Pro ? And if so: How is it done ?

ltinternational, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Windows 10 Dell Laptop Upgrade Issue

Do you have a monitor you can connect? Worth tyrying.

Also try a blind login by pressing Enter then type the password and press Enter again.

Ztruker, Aug 11, 2015
  5. Yeah from what I've read I am definitely going to try an external monitor. The PC wasn't previously password protected but I'll try just hitting enter. Headed home to try now.

6. So that did the trick. I can see the desktop on the external monitor. However, I now can't seem to get it to recognize the laptop display.

7. WinKey + P unfortunately does not work either. Have tried uninstalling the display drivers with no success either.

8. Ztruker Win User

Doesn't Winkey+P bring this up?

Windows 10 Dell Laptop Upgrade Issue [​IMG]

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Is ther a Fn+f# key combo that swaps onboard and external display? If so, try that. Often it's Fn+F4 (or F5).

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
  10. Yeah that's the screen it shows. No change though. F1 is the key that switches displays but it didn't switch to laptop display either..

Bnichols024, Aug 14, 2015
  11. Reverted back to Windows 7 and trying a reinstall now.

Bnichols024, Aug 15, 2015
  12. Berton Win User
    On my Dell Inspiron 15R Notebooks it is the Fn key + the F1 key. The markings on some Notebooks I've had to deal with have had the markings reversed so it may be only the Fx key that operates what the symbol stands for.

Berton, Aug 16, 2015
  13. Windows 10 Dell Laptop Upgrade Issue

It was Fn + F1. So when I tried to reinstall it gave me the error message that my laptop could not use Windows 10 lol. And something about updating the BIOS. So, updated the BIOS. So far it's letting me install but will see if it actually works on the onboard display.

Bnichols024, Aug 16, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    That's progress! Good luck.

Ztruker, Aug 16, 2015
  15. sach2k Win User
    I've been having the exact same problem with my Dell laptop and after a week of trouble shooting i have finally got the screen working.
    If you go to the Dell support webpage download and install the BIOS update version A11 (must be this version) and restart. Hope ur as sucessful as I was.

sach2k, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Dell Laptop Upgrade Issue - Similar Threads - Dell Laptop Upgrade

2. Windows 11 upgrade eligiblity for Alienware Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 11 upgrade eligiblity for Alienware Dell laptop: I have a 3-year-old Alienware 13 R3 Dell laptop that "doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11". I've checked the requirements and my current setup seems to meet them all. I rang Dell to check if they could tell me what I could upgrade on my...
  3. Boot Issue with Dell Laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Issue with Dell Laptop: My laptop has an issue when it boots. After booting to SystemAssist, I pressed F2 and ask skipped the scanning. It brought me to what looks like the UEFI BIOS Menu. I’m not sure where to go from here. I suspect it’s the UEFI Boot menu in BIOS. The issue is there is no windows...
  4. In windows 10 Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In windows 10 Dell laptop: windows is upgraded 7 to 10 recently. Initially wifi icon appearing and worked normally. within 2 days, icon missing and connectivity thro wifi lost. tried all sorts of trouble shooters. did not work. how to get back wifi icon and connectivity thro wifi. thank...
  5. Microsoft upgrade causing issues with Dell Laptop

Microsoft upgrade causing issues with Dell Laptop: Hello, Hoping someone will be able to assist with some unusual issues my Dell Laptop has developed. I think the problems have happened after an automatic microsoft upgrade. The laptop seems to be a bit possed, the speakers are making a ticking sound, the mouse and...
  6. Windows 10 Dell Inspiron laptop startup issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Dell Inspiron laptop startup issues: On trying to start, my Windows 10 Dell Inspiron laptop fails with the following: BSOD 0xc0000001 error code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED System Restore doesn't work (there is a restore point recorded) Go back to the previous version doesn't work (there are checkpoints for...
  7. Dell laptop freezes after upgrading to windows 10

Dell laptop freezes after upgrading to windows 10: After installing windows 10 with the media creation tool 1809 via USB stick on my Dell laptop inspiron 7737, it keeps freezing after a few seconds of starting up and logging in. I tried to. Start it in safe mode and download chipset driver but it won't install l, it gets an...
  8. Dell Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

Dell Windows 10 Pro Upgrade: Dell sent me the wrong Operating system(Windows 10 Home) which I used to rebuild my hard drive. After I discovered the mistake they sent me the correct USB with Windows 10 Pro. I want to be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without losing my files and applications I have...
  9. Windows 10 Dell Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Dell Laptop: Hey there everyone, i'm a massive noob to this forum I've got a general enquiry Im running windows 10 on a 2-3 year old dell laptop, i haven't added a spec list but can do if need be however i have found that the past year my laptop has stopped charging it's battery, i've...
  10. Dell not supporting XPS M1530 laptop upgrade to Windows 10

Dell not supporting XPS M1530 laptop upgrade to Windows 10: *ConfusedHello All, I'm not sure if I am in the right forum, if not please let me know. I have a Dell laptop XPS 1530 with 4 gigs of ram running windows 7 professional. I have all the notices from MS that Windows 10 is on my laptop awaiting installation. I found out that...