Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Normally I'm connected via ethernet to a 1GB broadband connection and that works fine, but that went down yesterday and I'm trying to get connected to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wdolson, Apr 19, 2024.

1. wdolson Win User

Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi

Normally I'm connected via ethernet to a 1GB broadband connection and that works fine, but that went down yesterday and I'm trying to get connected to WiFi. I have some USB WiFi antennas I'm trying to use. This problem is the same on two Win 10 machines, both running with the same motherboard and 2023 vintage Ryzen processors one is a Ryzen 7 and the other a Ryzen 5.I have tried connecting to a neighbors WiFi with their permission, our own WiFi even though that isn't connected to the internet, and a hotspot from my phone. I have tried two different WiFi antennas including a brand new

:)

wdolson, Apr 19, 2024
  2. brannell Win User

Can´t connect to my Wifi network

Hi everyone,

I can´t connect to my Wifi from my desktop with Window 10. I had an ethernet cable before and it worked perfectly but now I can´t connect my computer to the router through the cable anymore.

For some reason it detects my wifi network but when i try to connect it says i cant connect.

I followed a few tutorials online of how to fix it and still didn´t work.

any help please???

thanks in advance

Ramon

brannell, Apr 19, 2024
  3. coffent Win User
    How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Apr 19, 2024
  4. Kari Win User

Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi - Similar Threads - Desktop Computer Can't

2. Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi: Normally I'm connected via ethernet to a 1GB broadband connection and that works fine, but that went down yesterday and I'm trying to get connected to WiFi. I have some USB WiFi antennas I'm trying to use. This problem is the same on two Win 10 machines, both running with the...
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Desktop Computer "Can't connect to this network" when trying to connect to WiFi: Normally I'm connected via ethernet to a 1GB broadband connection and that works fine, but that went down yesterday and I'm trying to get connected to WiFi. I have some USB WiFi antennas I'm trying to use. This problem is the same on two Win 10 machines, both running with the...
  4. WIFI : Can't connect to this network!!

WIFI : Can't connect to this network!!: from 3 to 5 days whenever I tried to connect wifi network to my windows 10 pc it says cant connect to this network. how to resolve this issue?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-cant-connect-to-this-network/9c38f3a7-9acd-47a9-8fff-cd22c42b80ae
  5. "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes

"Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes: This problem has been plaguing me for about a month now. My home's wireless network works just fine - my laptop has no problems connecting to it, neither does my phone, the TV, the Amazon Firestick, my dad's PC out in the garage, my mom's laptop, and until about 6 weeks ago,...
  6. Computer can't connect to certain wifi networks

Computer can't connect to certain wifi networks: For an unknown reason, I am unable to connect to my Home wifi network and the extenders I have with it, for the reason that "some information changed since the last time I connected. We need additional information to complete the connection". I have never had an issue with...
  7. Error: unable to connect to this network when trying to connect to WIFI

Error: unable to connect to this network when trying to connect to WIFI: I am trying to connect to my home internet from Windows 10. This is what is still happening: 1 I am going to put my password to log into my wifi, where it says "verify and connect", and then it tells me that my password is wrong which is not the case, since I have tried more...
  8. Error: Can't connect to this network, when trying to connect to WIFI

Error: Can't connect to this network, when trying to connect to WIFI: I am trying to connect to my home internet from Windows 10. Here’s what keeps happening: 1. I go to put in my password to log onto my wifi, in which it says “verifying and connecting”, and then telling me that my password is incorrect which it isn’t, since ive tried this...
  9. WiFi can't connect to this network ( windows 10)

WiFi can't connect to this network ( windows 10): I have formatted windows 10 on my pc and reinstalled another version win10 on my pc, in the final stage of installation of win 10, it asked my wifi ssid & password and it results in " cant connect to this network". I have searched & tried numerous methods i.e drivers...
  10. Can't connect to WiFi network

Can't connect to WiFi network: I cannot connect my PC to WiFi. I need WiFi driver 107454