Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop Confusion

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop Confusion in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Myself and my wife have our own laptops. I have an ASUS Laptop that had Windows 7 installed which I upgraded to Windows 10 Windows 10 Home - ver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kevjack77, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Kevjack77 Win User

Windows 10 Desktop Confusion

Myself and my wife have our own laptops.

I have an ASUS Laptop that had Windows 7 installed which I upgraded to Windows 10 Windows 10 Home - ver 10.0.19401 and my wife has a HP Stream 11 that came with Windows 10 pre-installed Windows 10 Home - ver 10.0.19401.

My confusion is that my laptop with an upgraded W10 has what appears to be the "standard" Windows view, ie. a normal Desktop with shortcuts etc.. However my wifes HP with pre-installed W10 doesn't seem to have this, it only shows a quick menu with apps on it and will only allow installation of apps not programs.

Is there a way I can convert my wife's W10 into a more standard version where programs will open as a program, not as an app?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Kevjack77, Sep 24, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 24, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Desktop Confusion - Similar Threads - Desktop Confusion

2. I have Microsoft 365 and Windows 10 in laptob ASUS. I downloaded 365 in my desktop. How...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have Microsoft 365 and Windows 10 in laptob ASUS. I downloaded 365 in my desktop. How...: I have Microsoft 365 and Windows 10 in laptob ASUS. I downloaded 365 in my desktop. How do I download Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-microsoft-365-and-windows-10-in-laptob-asus/a9117108-3967-4261-abaf-6344992902d9
  3. Adding Quick Access Star to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding Quick Access Star to desktop: I had to re-install Windows Pro 64 from scratch due to security issues. Now I can't find a way to add the Quick Access Star icon back to my desktop. It really makes my work go faster. How do I do this? 167474
  4. Help with PCIe Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card disconnecting from Bluetooth after waking my desktop...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with PCIe Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card disconnecting from Bluetooth after waking my desktop...: So right now I am using a PCIe Wi-Fi card that also has Bluetooth, connecting the Bluetooth via an internal usb 2 header. Everything works fine, and when I restart my computer/turn it on from being off it works fine, but when I wake my computer from sleep/hibernation the...
  5. Use only iGPU for desktop rendering

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use only iGPU for desktop rendering: Hi all! Im on a laptop with an Intel iGPU and an Nvidia dGPU. In Linux, I had the option of choosing what GPU should render the desktop. Given the fact that i use CUDA for programming, where for performance and benchmark purposes i cant allow anything but my code to run on...
  6. How to open a program on another virtual desktops with going back to the original desktop ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to open a program on another virtual desktops with going back to the original desktop ?: Hi, I want to use a program on two virtuals desktops. the problem is that once I open it on a second desktop, It goes back to the first desktop the original one. I want to use it on two separate desktops how?...
  7. Why does my desktop frequently randomly restart?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my desktop frequently randomly restart?: I've been having an incredibly irritating problem with my Cybertron desktop randomly restarting on its own. Sometimes it happens while I'm playing a Steam game, sometimes while doing nothing at all. Sometimes it'll restart before even booting Windows. The frequency at which...
  8. "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes: This problem has been plaguing me for about a month now. My home's wireless network works just fine - my laptop has no problems connecting to it, neither does my phone, the TV, the Amazon Firestick, my dad's PC out in the garage, my mom's laptop, and until about 6 weeks ago,...
  9. How to split the desktop to two or four in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to split the desktop to two or four in Windows 10: Hi, I am wondering if there is a way to split the desktop in Windows 10 in to two half or four ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-split-the-desktop-to-two-or-four-in-windows/58a24321-aedb-4c6a-be6a-6d7a5ad52983
  10. Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    Just Upgraded, Desktop confusion: So when I upgraded initiall my desktop was replaced with a default Windows 10 background and some default apps. At first I freaked out thinking all my files were gone, but when I went to C:/Users/name/Desktop all my stuff was still there so I just dragged it out onto this...