Windows 10: Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it

Discus and support Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I would like to change the "Folder Access Rights" of the folder "Desktop" from "Read Only" to otherwise. When I try to change the rights, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by deicool, Dec 30, 2020.

1. deicool Win User

Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it

Hello

I would like to change the "Folder Access Rights" of the folder "Desktop" from "Read Only" to otherwise.

When I try to change the rights, it acknowledges the change. However when I check again, it goes back to "Read Only".

What do I do?

Thank You

Deepak

:)

deicool, Dec 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 30, 2020
  3. psbecker Win User
    Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Dec 30, 2020
  4. mrgeek Win User

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - "Desktop" folder is "Read Only", Unable to change it - Similar Threads - Desktop folder Read

2. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  3. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  4. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed: Hello everyone. As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no matter what I try. This is the first time I have wanted to edit something a set of photo's since before Christmas and now I...
  5. Windows 10 read only folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 read only folders: [ATTACH] Are all folders supposed to have a read only on them like this? Just performed a clean install of my pc b/c of this and it still remained even after I performed a clean install....
  6. Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop folder is now read only after Windows 10 upgrade: Following a Windows 10 upgrade my Desktop folder is now read-only and even after trying to change permissions as myself (I am an Administrator), the folder remains read-only. How can the permissions be restored to allow full control of the Desktop when logged in as myself?...
  7. Search folder changes to read only

in Cortana
    Search folder changes to read only: Hi, Problem with a W10 /pro 64 bit workstation, version 1803 17131.407. After the latest update the search stopped finding stuff. Even in a folder with a file like photo.jpg, a search for photo or photo.* or even photo.jpg showed nothing. This had happened before....
  8. Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folders show as Read only in Windows 10. How to change?: I recently cannot open, edit and save a file as the folders are all marked as Read only. I cannot change them within Windows explorer, although it goes through the motions of resetting. It is as if I have lost control as an administrator. Please help me unmark the folders...
  9. Folders read-only after motherboard change...

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders read-only after motherboard change...: Following a motherboard change this morning all my folders are now read-only causing problems with some programmes. If I go to the properties for a folder and uncheck read-only box including sub-folders and files it appears to work but next time I look the box is checked...
  10. Unable to change Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change Read Only: Hi Guys Just upgrading to Win 10 and noticed this morning that I am unable to change the settings from Read Only to allow all saved work. I have tried changing the Preferences, but as soon as I do, Apply, Ok and the settings refer back to Read Only. I haven't noticed...