Windows 10: Windows 10 desktop folder synchronization issue with files moved to server location that...

Discus and support Windows 10 desktop folder synchronization issue with files moved to server location that... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I began moving user primary local folders -- Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures & Videos to a server location for redundancy. After I moved the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by huck0440, Dec 18, 2020.

1. huck0440 Win User

Windows 10 desktop folder synchronization issue with files moved to server location that...

I began moving user primary local folders -- Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures & Videos to a server location for redundancy. After I moved the users desktop folder location I noticed any files that were not shortcuts no longer worked. I would receive a message that the file was moved, deleted or no longer existed. So I created a second Desktop Icon folder on the server and moved any files that were not shortcuts to that folder, created a shortcut to those files and copied the shortcuts to the desktop. I then synched the Desktop Icon folder for off-line availability. I have several user that have many files on their desktop that would require creating shortcuts then trying to arrange the shortcuts on their desktop to mirror the same position as the originals which would be a nightmare. Lastly, I noticed that any new files, that are not shortcuts, created or copied to the desktop after the location move to the server work fine. Is this a Windows synch glitch or am I missing a step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

:)

huck0440, Dec 18, 2020

2. Location of the synchronized files folder

The default location of the synchronized files folder is My Documents. I'd like to have it in a different location, but when I moved the folder the synchronization process could not take place. How can I move the synchronized files folder?

GreenSpirit(2), Dec 18, 2020
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Dec 18, 2020
  4. Cyndera80 Win User

Windows 10 desktop folder synchronization issue with files moved to server location that...

Cannot move desktop to a new location in Windows 7

I've been trying to move the desktop location on a machine that runs Windows 7.

On my own machine (Windows 10), there's a "Location" tab in the desktop properties.

That tab is missing on the machine that runs Windows 7.

I came across the suggestion below in other threads, but it is not working for me. Any other suggestions on how to change to location or how to get the location tab to show?

Thanks!

1. Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    2. Browse to the location:

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    3. In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).
    4. Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    5. Close the registry editor and log off

--> Didn't work.

Cyndera80, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 desktop folder synchronization issue with files moved to server location that... - Similar Threads - desktop folder synchronization

2. synchronization server windows 10 20h2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    synchronization server windows 10 20h2: Hello how do i change the synchronization server in windows 10 20h2, because the control panel i gone in this update? 180194
  3. WIndows desktop: moving files into folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows desktop: moving files into folders: When I want to drag a file Word, Excel, etc. on my desktop to a folder on my desktop, I want to be able to hover the file over the folder and while hovering, the folder opens up and displays subfolders...at that point I can position the file over the subfolder, let go of the...
  4. Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Videos Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Videos folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this Videos...
  5. Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Pictures folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this...
  6. Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Desktop Folder Location in Windows 10 The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for...
  7. Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Downloads Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Downloads folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). In addition, most web browsers...
  8. Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Favorites Folder Location in Windows 10 Your favorites from Internet Explorer are saved into your Favorites folder. By default, Windows stores your personal Favorites folder in your account's...
  9. Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Searches Folder Location in Windows 10 If you regularly search for certain files in Windows, then you could save the search criteria as a Saved Search to be able to quickly access and perform your...
  10. Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 [img] Information The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles...