Windows 10: Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution

Discus and support Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi! I play a lot of a game called CS:GO. In that game, I use 4:3, which I've set to stretched via the nvidia control panel (I have an nvidia GPU). My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Pertti6969, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution

Hi!

I play a lot of a game called CS:GO. In that game, I use 4:3, which I've set to stretched via the nvidia control panel (I have an nvidia GPU). My desktop resolution is 16:9 1080p.

After the 1903 update, every time I exit the game or tab out to another window, my desktop icons don't go back to the positions they're suppost to be in, instead the icons on the right side of my desktop move to the left and just clutter there. Also, other windows that I don't have in windowed mode will go to windowed mode and to a rather small size, for example google chrome, which I had open on the background.

This didn't happen before the update, so I was just wondering how to fix this, as it's extremely annoying and I wouldn't really like to reformat my whole desktop every time I stop playing CS.

Thanks!

:)

Pertti6969, Oct 1, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution

1. Windows 10 desktop icon positions change when changing resolution - Similar Threads - desktop icon positions

2. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  3. My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My desktop background changes to black and weird icon positioning.: Hello!Sometimes, when I move any icon on my desktop it starts having a black background around it and when I move a couple of them my background changes to black altogether. I have to restart my PC to change it back to my previous background.Also, sometimes, when I download a...
  4. Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions: Hey, I recently updated my Windows 10 to 20H2. After this, all my desktop icons keep changing position whenever I refresh or restart my laptop. What's the permanent solution to this. I have tried options offered on other Windows' discussion fora without any positive...
  5. How do I stop Windows from changing window size and position when the resolution changes or...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop Windows from changing window size and position when the resolution changes or...: Windows has been doing this super annoying thing where if the resolution changes for whatever reason (usually opening a game for example) or if I plug in an external monitor to my laptop, all of the windows which i meticulously size and place all get messed up. The sizes of...
  6. My desktop icons change their position when the system starts.

My desktop icons change their position when the system starts.: My desktop icons are randomly placed on the desktop when the PC starts. The icon place is not saving though I rearrange them while I shut down my PC. Every time I arrange them and then they are again misplaced on the desktop randomly. Is their any way to make them save...
  7. Desktop Icons changing position

Desktop Icons changing position: Running WIN10 home Every so often my desktop flashes and some of my icons have changed position. Can anyone explain t his and how I can stop it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changing-position/934e8501-fdfb-46d0-998d-3b15d4dc677a
  8. Windows keeps rearranging desktop icons after resolution changes.

Windows keeps rearranging desktop icons after resolution changes.: Hey guys, I frequently play games, I don't have the best gaming rig but it's good enough for 3D modelling, gaming and general educational uses. When playing CSGO, I drop the resolution down to get a higher frame rate. I've always done that, when I press the windows key to...
  9. Forced resolution change affecting screen position

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Forced resolution change affecting screen position: Hi I'm having a problem with the in built display on my laptop (It's an xmg). When I turned it on yesterday, the screen wad effectively showing only the top maybe quarter or so of the screen, almost like it had zoomed in (it wasn't, I've checked). On investigating the...
  10. Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display

Desktop icons change position after disconnecting 2nd display: I am running Window 10 on my laptop. At the office I connect a 2nd display monitor. Whenever I disconnect from that display to work at home, all my icons move position. I have my laptop display set as primary. Is there a way to save the icon positions?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windowns 10 rearrange my desktop after exiting a game