Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So there seems to be some odd discrepancy where items are actually located in Windows 10. For example, when I navigate to 'Desktop' in Windows Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Luther Blisset, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop

So there seems to be some odd discrepancy where items are actually located in Windows 10. For example, when I navigate to 'Desktop' in Windows Explorer I see that there are many items that are not actually on the desktop which include:

This PC, Libraries, Network, Control Panel, and my user folder.

I'm confused as to why these items are showing up in Explorere when they are not in face on my Desktop. I think the desktop folder in Explorer should really reflect what is there.

This issue becomes problematic for several reasons. Firstly, it shows items that are simply not where they really are. When managing files and folders users should know where everything is without having to second guess if it is real or some symbolic link.

Another problem that arises out of this is that it creates duplicate items in my Windows Explorer sidebar. Why would I need to find 'This PC' nested inside 'Desktop' when there is another 'THis PC' below it in the sidebar. Even more ridiculous is that users cant edit these lists in the sidebar which leaves a huge cluster of repeated items, many of which are nested in places where they dont reside. This makes no sense. On the sidebar I have 'This PC' with 'Desktop' nested inside it, while there is also 'Desktop' with 'This PC' nested inside it.

While I understand these are most probably symbolic links, how can I arrange the items in my sidebar to reflect actual hierarchical directories instead of repetitive nonsensical symbolic links?

:)

Luther Blisset, Apr 25, 2020

2. Unknown item on desktop

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. I would suggest you to restore the desktop settings and check.

• Type desktop on the Windows search bar and select
      Show or hide common icons on the desktop.
    • Now click on Restore default.
    If the issue still persist, I would recommend you to perform disk cleanup and check.
    Visit the below link to perform Disk cleanup in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Hope it helps. Please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 25, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Apr 25, 2020
  4. JohnFyffe Win User

Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop

Move Favorites icon to desktop win-10

Your suggestion does not work. It did work on Windows 7.

JohnFyffe, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop

1. Windows 10 Desktop items not on Desktop - Similar Threads - Desktop items Desktop

2. Desktop items Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop items Windows 10!: Good morning, I have been doing my usual maintenance this morning and have forgot how to do something! I have removed a lot of my items from my desktop screen but how do I put some of them back? It is easy unpinning live tiles and putting them back but not so on the desk top...
  3. Desktop items Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop items Windows 10!: Good morning, I have been doing my usual maintenance this morning and have forgot how to do something! I have removed a lot of my items from my desktop screen but how do I put some of them back? It is easy unpinning live tiles and putting them back but not so on the desk top...
  4. Desktop items Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop items gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop items gone: Hello this weird issue got me stuck thinking if there is a specific setting I've never heared about:My grandmother's Win10 desktop is completely gone. There is no background and not a single item visible. None of the desktop settings lead to any changes. It just stays...
  6. Desktop items gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop items gone: Hello this weird issue got me stuck thinking if there is a specific setting I've never heared about:My grandmother's Win10 desktop is completely gone. There is no background and not a single item visible. None of the desktop settings lead to any changes. It just stays...
  7. Desktop missing items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop missing items: I lost my Recycle Bin icon. I tried to restore it and when I did, all the icons on my desktop.Some of these items were shortcuts, but many of them were actual files.HELP...
  8. Unwanted items on Desktop

Unwanted items on Desktop: Over the last 2-3 days I've noticed something deferent when i start my desktop. I'm running Win 10 Home ver: 21H1. When Windows loads the Theme appears along with the retangular box to enter my PIN. In the lower left side of the screen my first and last name appears and a...
  9. Unwanted items on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unwanted items on Desktop: Over the last 2-3 days I've noticed something deferent when i start my desktop. I'm running Win 10 Home ver: 21H1. When Windows loads the Theme appears along with the retangular box to enter my PIN. In the lower left side of the screen my first and last name appears and a...
  10. multiselect items on desktop

multiselect items on desktop: hi , i have a questionwhy when we adding items to desktop , it auto arranges them vertically add new item below last , but when we want multiselect items by holding "shift key" it selects them horizontally ?imagine this situation :you have 4 column on desktop each column has...