Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop. Missing taskbar app icon problem

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop. Missing taskbar app icon problem in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I hope I can explain this problem adequately. On my Windows 10 laptop's Taskbar, I have pinned 6 frequently used apps. Four of those apps appear just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TimNiet, Aug 14, 2021.

1. TimNiet Win User

Windows 10 Desktop. Missing taskbar app icon problem

I hope I can explain this problem adequately. On my Windows 10 laptop's Taskbar, I have pinned 6 frequently used apps. Four of those apps appear just fine. Two apps "Mail" and "Microsoft Store" are pinned and I can activate them, but they don't have icons. If I hover my mouse over them, a gray square will highlight. I've done an extensive search on Google and tried a lot of things. I have: Unpinned and repinned. Repaired both apps. Uninstalled and reinstalled them. I ran DISM and SFC. I used Windows Media Tool to Restore Windows. Deleted and rebuilt the Icon cache. I am trying to avoid comple

:)

TimNiet, Aug 14, 2021
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Aug 14, 2021
  3. noten Win User
    Missing Taskbar Icons

I'm having the same problem with 'Metro' icons. They don't show in the taskbar and they don't show within other apps. Shortcuts just show the generic page icon. The only place app icons show is in the start menu and those are really tiles.

Here's an example of what I'm dealing with:

Windows 10 Desktop. Missing taskbar app icon problem [​IMG]

I have tried scf (sfc?) scan and dsim, no luck. Have also tried everything mentioned in this thread. Nothing.

One suggestion that offered some promise was to look at the icon files to see if they look alright but didn't suggest anything beyond that. I browsed to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6310.42251.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\images and found some icon files that seemed ok but then a bunch that appeared blank:

Windows 10 Desktop. Missing taskbar app icon problem [​IMG]

Any thoughts?

noten, Aug 14, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

App Icons Missing

Hi Donna,

Corrupted applications are the possible causes why your program icons are missing after an update. To isolate your issue, we'd like to clarify a few things:

• When you hover your mouse over your taskbar or Start menu, are you seeing the icons for your apps?
    • Have you tried searching for a specific app and check if it will appear on the search results?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you repair and reset your applications using the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this

thread
    about restoring missing apps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Desktop. Missing taskbar app icon problem - Similar Threads - Desktop Missing taskbar

2. App Icons missing in Taskbar on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App Icons missing in Taskbar on Windows 11: Annoying issue when program logos aren't seen in windows 11 taskbar, tried restart and all suggestions, this issue resurfaces with regularity. bing search results should pull up something fresh and relevant to solve this issue .NET family!! * Moved from Insider...
  3. Problem - Icons Missing in the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem - Icons Missing in the Taskbar: Hello my Microsoft apps icons disappear from the taskbar I tried to do everything.. from clean the cache and install them with Powershell, use scannow in cmd, and even repair system image with cmd.. can someone help me please?...
  4. Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop: Within the last week my desktop changed. I lost all links I had posted and lost the taskbar. What appeared is the display one used to get when clicking the WINDOWS icon, bottom left. New computer, Windows 10 32 bit. How do I remove the current dislay on desktop & restore...
  5. Desktop taskbar icons gone missing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop taskbar icons gone missing on Windows 10: All my icons have been unpinned from the bottom of the desktop screen. Cannot get them back. any suggestions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/desktop-taskbar-icons-gone-missing-on-windows-10/02ea6899-2cca-402d-8a41-26462b79556d
  6. taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons: My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help*Shock 24989
  7. Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...: Hi, My computer's desktop is blank (black) with no desktop icons. [img] My task bar icons are missing. My windows button doesn't open. I can not access settings (even using CTRL R -> ms-settings: OR right-clicking task-bar. It "times out"). There is "no...
  8. Missing App Icons on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Missing App Icons on Taskbar: No app icons will appear on the taskbar. They show fine in the Start menu, but are missing on the taskbar. It only includes apps, no installed programs are having this issue. This includes calculator, Edge, Xbox, etc. I tried rebuilding the icon cache from this tutorial, but...
  9. App ICON's missing in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    App ICON's missing in Taskbar: Hello all, I've been running Windows 10 for a year or so now.. I tend to run several (dozens) of applications at the same time, and to manage that, I would hover the mouse over the icons in the task bar to see which running application, I wanted to access. For example,...
  10. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed: This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the taskbar now have a generic looking icon. Right clicking on the start menu no longer brings up the menu and when I go to file...