Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop restart loop after Windows 10's recent feature update, "20H2"

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop restart loop after Windows 10's recent feature update, "20H2" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm sure it may have been a slight bug on my part for not closing everything out before hand, but to be on the safe side, here is my story. I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SiMunky, Dec 30, 2020.

1. SiMunky Win User

Windows 10 Desktop restart loop after Windows 10's recent feature update, "20H2"

I'm sure it may have been a slight bug on my part for not closing everything out before hand, but to be on the safe side, here is my story.

I had windows update appear on the bottom right part of my screen saying it was ready by Cortana herself. Usual stuff nothing new.

Next thing I know, I see about two applications in the background and, at the last second, I pressed cancel right when my computer restarts. I'm pretty sure it may be because of my ignorance, canceling the restart while it is happening right then and there and perhaps that triggered a boot loop but for my desktop instead.

After I booted my computer back up, my screen started flashing black and then comes back again every 2-5 seconds depending on its load time. I've tried everything to fix it manually through desktop but it always refreshes. This may be due to my Hard Drive constantly reading and writing only a couple of things at a time constantly the entire time it is working. It never stops running its needle not even for a second and is overloading CPU while it is refreshing desktop.

So basically, all I need to know is if it was really my fault for my desktop to start refreshing constantly after failing a clean restart for updates or if it is part of the overall windows 10 update failure fiasco everyone's been having recently. Thank you.

Btw only way I was able to achieve a clean boot of my computer at all was resetting my computer entirely back to its original factory form so no hope for a bright clean boot if it's windows 10 and not me... I've snuffed out any other options and resetting it entirely was the last resort so please no questions or details about all I've done for poor Geoffrey...

p.s. : I had some random chick tell me that it is a virus which I doubt because Cortana is not emailing me things she is giving me notifications straight from her system index. Not sure what she was thinking, perhaps knows nothing?

^

This is more of a funny bit...You can ignore it...I have not touched any emails, malicious websites, or downloads therefore I have no viruses to speak of...And even if I did, I'm pretty sure there would be worse circumstances far greater than a constant refresh rate of my desktop in peak condition...

:)

SiMunky, Dec 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 30, 2020
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Dec 30, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 Desktop restart loop after Windows 10's recent feature update, "20H2"

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Desktop restart loop after Windows 10's recent feature update, "20H2" - Similar Threads - Desktop restart loop

2. Windows 10 feature update version 20H2 stuck in loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 feature update version 20H2 stuck in loop: Hi,my parents pc seems to be stuck in an infinite loop of updating 20H2i've tried:command prompt SFC/scannow procedure and disc clenup.although there were no errors, it didn't solve the problem.i've tried windows update troubleshooter. didn't solve the problem either.i've...
  3. Windows 10 feature update version 20H2 stuck in loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 feature update version 20H2 stuck in loop: Hi,my parents pc seems to be stuck in an infinite loop of updating 20H2i've tried:command prompt SFC/scannow procedure and disc clenup.although there were no errors, it didn't solve the problem.i've tried windows update troubleshooter. didn't solve the problem either.i've...
  4. Windows 10 feature update version 20H2 stuck in loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Feature update to windows 10 20h2

Feature update to windows 10 20h2: Hi guys so I decided today to update to windows 10 20h2. My previous version was 2004 or 20h1. When I decided to update i realised it downloaded so quickly in less than 30 seconds. Can anyone tell me what the size actually is because I'm scared maybe it didn't finish...
  6. Windows 10 20H2 Feature Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 20H2 Feature Update: Windows 10, 20H2 Feature Update recently appeared in Update. It was necessary to update my 1909 updates and subsequenly 20H2 updated my Toshiba Laptop.I now have no printing, scanning, no restore point capability, recovery only and corrupt files.Microsoft support provides...
  7. Windows 10 feature update 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 feature update 20H2: Hello! I recently checked for updates and my PC found that I have updates available. It turned out to be the 20H2 feature update and I clicked on download update. However, it all runs so slow. Downloaded kinda fast, in about 45-60 minutes but the installation is the slow one....
  8. Windows 10 Feature update 20H2

Windows 10 Feature update 20H2: I have bought my pc on 2 November 2020 and have installed the feature update 20H2 on 8 November 2020 but it has lead to some problems to me like night light feature grayed out, brightness slider not working and windows defender getting on and off on its own due to which I...
  9. Windows 10 boot loop after recent update

Windows 10 boot loop after recent update: I had Win7 on one SSD. More than a year ago I installed Win10 on another SSD and made them dual boot. With the recent update, the Win10 OS couldn't start, would hang on the spinning circle screen. Reboot, attempt repairs, show message saying it could not fix the problem. I...
  10. Recent windows 10 update - restart loop can't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent windows 10 update - restart loop can't boot: After a recent crash, my windows 10 does not load properly anymore and instead is stuck in an endless restart loop (system repairs etc does not work). I have also formatted one of my hard drives and did a clean install from a usb and the same thing is happening. (To clarify,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 20h2 restart loop

2. windows update 20h2 boot loop

3. windows 20h2 fix login loop