Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop: Source Folder for Desktop Display

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop: Source Folder for Desktop Display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a laptop that is frequently used off-line. There is a single "User" and the "User" has OneDrive personal. the laptop is frequently used for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David at DRA, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Desktop: Source Folder for Desktop Display

I have a laptop that is frequently used off-line. There is a single "User" and the "User" has OneDrive personal. the laptop is frequently used for presentations in location with extremely limited or non-existent network connection. Unfortunately the displayed "Desktop" appears to be the Desktop folder associated with the User's OneDrive, not the Desktop folder that is directly assigned to the User. This creates continual problems with the laptop locking up trying to connect to either a non-existent network or a poorly performing network. (I.e. "cloud" computing on this laptop in its usual usage is usually highly unsatisfactory.)

All my other PC's seem to display the contents of the corresponding direct User's Desktop folder, not the contents of the User's OneDrive Desktop folder.

Is there a way to determine which Desktop folder will have its contents displayed on the Windows 10 Desktop of the PC?

:)

David at DRA, Jan 24, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jan 24, 2019
  3. roninrr2 Win User
    Where does Windows 10 get the Desktop Icons from (the various Desktop sources)?

Sorry, but I have been re-searching for several hours now, and can't find a Post I read early this morning.

The post had a list of places that Windows 10 uses to assemble the various icons on my Desktop, and the order of which areas are used.

There were about 5 things in the list and it looked something like:

- general icons for all screens (I found that in the Theme screen)

- icons from the logged-in Users\xxx\Desktop

- icons from the Users\Public\Desktop

- and maybe from the Desktop folder under the "This PC" folder or "Onedrive" folder

I am not even sure the above is correct, but it was something like that. Do to some changes I made in my OneDrive settings, most of my desktop icons have disappeared (changed Auto Save Desktop setting from "This PC only" to "Onedrive"). I have the "This
    PC" icon and the "Recycle Bin" icon on my Desktop (found where those came from) and I have the icons out of the Users\Public\Desktop folder on my Desktop, but am missing the icons from my Users\xxx\Desktop folder. Doesn't Windows 10 automatically assemble
    the Desktop from the above various sources (i.e. I haven't' done anything and the Users\Public\Desktop icons are appearing on my Desktop).

So there are really 2 questions here: 1) what are the various sources for the Desktop icons and 2) what happened to my Users\xxx\Desktop icons (which are still in the Users\xxx\Desktop folder, but not being displayed on my Desktop.

P.S. I have another Post outstanding on understanding the differences of folders in OneDrive vs This PC vs Users\xxx\.

ron in round rock

roninrr2, Jan 24, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 Desktop: Source Folder for Desktop Display

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Desktop: Source Folder for Desktop Display

1. Windows 10 Desktop: Source Folder for Desktop Display - Similar Threads - Desktop Source Folder

2. How to get my displayed Desktop to NOT be the OneDrive Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get my displayed Desktop to NOT be the OneDrive Desktop Folder: With the new storage restrictions coming up in February 2024, I'm removing everything from OneDrive; however, my displayed desktop is in my OneDrive folder. I've uninstalled OneDrive from my computer, but it's still showing that one, and not the Desktop folder under...
  3. How to get my displayed Desktop to NOT be the OneDrive Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get my displayed Desktop to NOT be the OneDrive Desktop Folder: With the new storage restrictions coming up in February 2024, I'm removing everything from OneDrive; however, my displayed desktop is in my OneDrive folder. I've uninstalled OneDrive from my computer, but it's still showing that one, and not the Desktop folder under...
  4. Desktop display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop display: I am an IT admin at my company and I have never seen this issue before. This is from my coworker: I’m have issues trying with my screen set ups. When I am using one screen everything is set up correctly when I plug in my docking station and go with two screens everything...
  5. Desktop display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop display: I am an IT admin at my company and I have never seen this issue before. This is from my coworker: I’m have issues trying with my screen set ups. When I am using one screen everything is set up correctly when I plug in my docking station and go with two screens everything...
  6. desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder: Through transferring data from one computer to another, I've ended up with multiple desktop folders inside of the desktop folder inside of file explorer. Combining those folders seems to be a bit of a task and one drive seems complicate this issue. 171578
  7. desktop on windows 10 is not displayed

desktop on windows 10 is not displayed: When I open the computer, the desktop is not displayed. Instead the downloads page of google chrome is appearing. That page is not closing. If I click the icon on the right side of the page it is showing my computer window. I am unable to see desktop and taskbar. I am unable...
  8. Desktop folder Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop folder Windows 10?: [ATTACH] Hey! I saw this desktop on a YouTube video and wanted to ask how it does it. Such "visible" folders on the desktop with headlines like "Launcher", "Games", "Programs" and so on. Does anyone know that Desktop Ordner Windows 10?
  9. Desktop Display

Desktop Display: How do I keep Windows from automatically rearranging my Desktop Icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-display/2d390cc3-a580-4490-bcab-b92d20455f4c
  10. Doc folder contents display on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Doc folder contents display on desktop: The contents of my documents folder permanently display all over my desktop. Ive heard this is a common problem but cannot find a resolution Help 76965