Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop unable to enter Sleep

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop unable to enter Sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently, my desktop isn't able to enter Sleep. Once I press 'Sleep', the screen will darken, but after a few seconds, it will display the standard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nabbyG, Aug 30, 2020.

1. nabbyG Win User

Windows 10 Desktop unable to enter Sleep

Recently, my desktop isn't able to enter Sleep. Once I press 'Sleep', the screen will darken, but after a few seconds, it will display the standard lockscreen.

Trying to enter sleep repeatedly doesn't work.

Running powercfg -requests after this issue will display 1 result:
    PERFBOOST:[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel CallerPower Manager

Running powercfg -devicequery wake_armed gives no results as I disabled all of my bluetooth devices which can wake the computer.

Running powercfg -lastwake will give the following result:
    Wake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15BC&SUBSYS_15BC1849&REV_10\3&11583659&0&FE Friendly Name: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V Description: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Which is weird. I do not have a Ethernet cable connected to the LAN port and even after disabling the wired adapter, it still shows up.

Any guidance to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated! Cheers Windows 10 Desktop unable to enter Sleep :)

:)

nabbyG, Aug 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Desktop will not go to sleep using Win 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to make your laptop sleep completely. We will help you to resolve this issue.

Please let us know with the model of NVIDIA graphic card you are using.

Method 1:

I suggest you to boot the computer in safe mode and then try shutting down the computer.

If the issue still persists, follow the below steps:

Step 1: Check if the NVIDIA graphics card is detected in device manager. If it is detected, update it's drivers and check if that helps.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select Device Manager.
    • In the list of Hardware categories, double-click the category your device is in and then double-tap the device you want. For example, to see your video card, click
      Display adapters, and then double-click the video card name.
    • Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

Step 2: If that does not fix the issue, please reinstall the display adapter drivers.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select Device Manager.
    • Locate and expand Display adapter.
    • Right-click on the Display adapter that is listed and click “Uninstall”.

Restart the computer and download, install the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 30, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Desktop unable to enter Sleep

Sleep

Hi,

This may happen due to its power plan. A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how computers use and conserve power. For this, we suggest that you reset and restore power plans to its default. kindly follow these steps:

• Open the Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press
      Enter
      :
      • powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart your PC to apply the changes.

After that, go to Power & sleep settings
    by typing it into the Windows Search. Check the When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after
    settings is set to Never.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Desktop unable to enter Sleep

1. Windows 10 Desktop unable to enter Sleep - Similar Threads - Desktop unable enter

2. How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep: Hi all,When I click on sleep from the start menu, sometimes my desktop will enter "away mode" according to even viewer instead of going to sleep. This is very annoying as I have to use hibernate instead of sleep which takes a while to wake up from.Once my desktop has been on...
  3. How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep: Hi all,When I click on sleep from the start menu, sometimes my desktop will enter "away mode" according to even viewer instead of going to sleep. This is very annoying as I have to use hibernate instead of sleep which takes a while to wake up from.Once my desktop has been on...
  4. Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I upgraded to Windows 11 last fall November and for the most part everything has been working ok. Within the last month, I've had an issue where my desktop will not enter sleep mode. If I select sleep, my keyboard and mouse will shut off but my desktop will idle with the fan...
  5. Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I upgraded to Windows 11 last fall November and for the most part everything has been working ok. Within the last month, I've had an issue where my desktop will not enter sleep mode. If I select sleep, my keyboard and mouse will shut off but my desktop will idle with the fan...
  6. cant enter sleep mode in windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    cant enter sleep mode in windows 10: as the title says, after clicking the sleep button it's going to sleep but waking up with no reason I tried everything to fix it, I run the power troubleshooter and it said that it fixed something but still not working I even tried the thing with the internet device but...
  7. Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Both laptop and desktop refuse to enter sleep mode.: I'm really at a loss here. I have three devices running Windows 10. One is a surface with integrated graphics that works fine. The other two are a laptop with an Nvidia GPU, and my desktop with an Nvidia GPU as well. The laptop and desktop simply refuse to enter sleep mode....
  8. Unable to enter BIOS in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to enter BIOS in windows 10: I've gone through several help sections to try to open up BIOS in Window 10 - and some the answer here are so unhelpful. Is there a simple way to open in BIOS mode to update my BIOS? It from 2012 and I have having some issues with the computer. Or it is just tough...
  9. windows 10 will not enter sleep mode

windows 10 will not enter sleep mode: I have tried all usual fixes but none work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-enter-sleep-mode/b811783d-fc56-43da-af27-5232cfaf4a3a
  10. Desktop will not automatically enter sleep mode

Desktop will not automatically enter sleep mode: I've changed power settings (included the advanced settings) to allow sleep to automatically occur after 10 minutes, but the computer doesn't go into sleep mode. It previously went to sleep automatically, but apparently some automatic system updates have changed that feature....