Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop view inadvertently changed

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop view inadvertently changed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My grandson was typing in a M.S. Word document. Today I noticed that there is some type of overlay screen that has replaced what was my normal Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RFJENN2, Jun 16, 2020.

1. RFJENN2 Win User

Windows 10 Desktop view inadvertently changed

My grandson was typing in a M.S. Word document. Today I noticed that there is some type of overlay screen that has replaced what was my normal Desktop view. My normal Desktop view displayed many shortcuts from the File Explorer Desktop file. They no longer appear. Available Apps displayed on a subsequent menu screen when I clicked theStart button. The option buttons to access Settings and the power options would also be available in the lower left hand corner when I clicked theStart button.

The current overlay screen displays the various option buttons which used to appear after theStart button was clicked. Now I have to click the All Apps button before I can see available Apps. To remove the display of Apps from the screen, I click thePinned Tiles button because I have no tiles pinned. Then I have just the overlay screen with the buttons displayed on the left side of the screen.

Windows 10 Desktop view inadvertently changed a2c03aa6-9dd6-4919-b78b-394db62928fd?upload=true.png

Windows 10 Desktop view inadvertently changed 7313d7c7-0433-45e4-95f7-4940c49e01eb?upload=true.png

This is the current Desktop view of the lower Menu Bar. I had to right click and select the list item to Show Apps in order to display Apps on the new overlay screen Menu Bar.

I really do not want this overlay screen.

How can I get it removed and the original Desktop view restored? I want to see my shortcuts on the Desktop and be able to see Apps after I click theStart button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

RFJENN2, Jun 16, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 16, 2020
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Jun 16, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Desktop view inadvertently changed - Similar Threads - Desktop view inadvertently

2. Changing desktop view to list or details not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing desktop view to list or details not working: I cannot get my desktop files to display in a list or details view. Ctrl+Shift+1 through 4 does work. The icons change from small to large.But Ctrl+Shift+5 through 9 does not work. I cannot get a list view or a details view.I'm using the numbers above the letter keys. The...
  3. Changing desktop view to list or details not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing desktop view to list or details not working: I cannot get my desktop files to display in a list or details view. Ctrl+Shift+1 through 4 does work. The icons change from small to large.But Ctrl+Shift+5 through 9 does not work. I cannot get a list view or a details view.I'm using the numbers above the letter keys. The...
  4. Changing desktop view to list or details not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 Desktop Toolbar View

Windows 10 Desktop Toolbar View: Hello, I've added the Desktop toolbar on my taskbar for Windows 10. Each time I open an item from my desktop the order of the items in the toolbar change. My documents are constantly shifting when I use the toolbar and I don't know how to keep them in one place or just have...
  6. Desktop Alert Notification View Change

Desktop Alert Notification View Change: Hi I just updated my office 365 in my laptop and there is one issue that I wanted your help on When a new email notification pops up – it comes like the below and not the normal way. I am used to seeing it in a different format. Any ideas how can I change it Is...
  7. Windows 10 Desktop Folder Randomly Changes in File Explorer View

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Desktop Folder Randomly Changes in File Explorer View: On Windows 10 in File Explorer that has the Quick Locations and all Locations listed in the left-hand menu, my folder "Desktop" randomly changed to "Downloads" even though the correct "Downloads" location remained the same. I am unable to change the folder name back to what...
  8. Desktop view

Desktop view: How to I set & lock my desktop in Classic or Tablet view, running Windows 10? (Instead of Tiles). https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-view/c923459e-bc86-4dd1-b90a-60d75fdee3de
  9. Change View in Calendar for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change View in Calendar for Windows 10: How to: Change View in Calendar for Windows 10 How to Change View in Calendar for Windows 10 Windows 10 has Mail and Calendar apps already built in. Mail and Calendar for Windows 10 from Microsoft help you stay up-to-date on your email, manage your schedule, and stay in...
  10. Change Magnifier View in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Magnifier View in Windows 10: How to: Change Magnifier View in Windows 10 How to Change Magnifier View in Windows 10 Magnifier is a tool that enlarges partor allof your screen so you can see words and images better. It comes with a few different settings, so use it the way that suits you best....