Windows 10: Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down

Discus and support Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Two days ago I noticed that I could not shut down or restart. Sleep still worked. I searched for a solution and found the DISM and sfc sequence. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by drahcirrentar, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down

Two days ago I noticed that I could not shut down or restart. Sleep still worked. I searched for a solution and found the DISM and sfc sequence. I tried to open a command prompt as administrator and it would not open, but after some time, perhaps 5 minutes, it did open. I ran the sequence and it said it found some corrupt files and repaired them. After this, shut down and restart worked for a day, until yesterday, when the problem appeared again. I again ran the sequence, but no corrupt files were found. Unable to shut down, last night I put the computer to sleep. This morning I awoke it and tried to restart - it worked.

:)

drahcirrentar, Oct 4, 2019
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down :confused:*Mad Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Oct 4, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down

1. Windows 10 Desktop will not restart or shut down - Similar Threads - Desktop restart shut

2. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down: Hi. My old laptop had some problem where it was permanently attempting to do Windows Updates every boot but failing, with code 0x80070643, so I decided to disable Windows Updates. Right after that, something very weird happened that I've never seen. I was shutting down my old...
  3. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  4. Shut down or restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down or restart: Occasionally when I try to shut down or restart after an update I get this message. I tried going to Task Manager and ending process. Doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen all the time. How can I stop it, kinda annoying.Please Adviseleahcimj...
  5. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  6. Restart + Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart + Shutting down: Hey guys, nice to see you. I have problem with windows restart and shut down. Everytime I try to restart or shut down my PC from windows menu it stuck on restarting / shutting down screen.And I need to force restart/shut down from the physical button on the Pc case. I cant go...
  7. Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/martin_m_n_novy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iwclnn/shutting_down_doesnt_fully_shut_down_windows_10/
  8. Windows 10 Shut down and restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Shut down and restart: Shut down and restart not working in Windows 10. Everytime I had to press power button to shut down. Battery drains even after powering off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shut-down-and-restart/a8c8a9f1-3591-4bf4-aa54-c2301f899a7e
  9. Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does)

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does): Ok so I'll try to clarify as much as I can. When I ''Shut down'' either I'm holding ''Shift'' or not. It signs out but I can Still hear fan and Power Led is on, even after couple of hours... it can goup to 12... For Shutting it down Completely, I have to hold Power Button...
  10. Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down: I upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago for the most part it works fine, but one day it stopped being able to shut down properly. When I tell it to shut down it does actually shut down but only for a second before it starts restarting. This problem has been going on for 2-3...