Windows 10: Windows 10 development.

Discus and support Windows 10 development. in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Dev Exclusive How Microsoft built, and is still building, Windows 10 Emil Protalinski August 13, 2015 9:20 AM Windows 10 for PCs arrived two weeks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by CountMike, Aug 13, 2015.

1. CountMike New Member

Windows 10 development.

Dev Exclusive How Microsoft built, and is still building, Windows 10

Emil Protalinski August 13, 2015 9:20 AM

Windows 10 for PCs arrived two weeks ago. Thankfully, we don’t need to wait years to say this will be a Microsoft operating system release like no other.
    The most obvious clue is not the fact that Windows 10 was installed on more than 14 million devices in 24 hours, that you can get it for cheap or upgrade to it for free, nor even that it ships with a digital assistant and a proper browser. No, the big deal here is that Microsoft is turning its OS into a service, and that means as you read these words, it’s still being built.
    For the next few years, we’ll be getting not just Windows 10 updates and patches, but new improvements and features. This is possible because Microsoft built this version very differently from all its previous releases.

How Microsoft built, and is still building, Windows 10 | VentureBeat | Dev | by Emil Protalinski
    PS.
    Just run into this article and it answered at least some questions for me.

:)

CountMike, Aug 13, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

Windows 10 development.

Thanks. That is a very good read.

Rocky, Aug 13, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not wishing to be the "5th" player in a String quartet - but the idea of a continuing service has downsides as well.

If you are maintaining say 1000's of PC's in a large organisation Stability is what you need -- any one of the improvements might cause large expensive legacy apps (Say SAP ERP systems etc) to fail with disastrous consequencies for the business.

There really need to be TWO streams -- Long Term STABLE release and the "Service" idea. As a HOME user the service idea is OK as I can easily roll back if the update doesn't work or has bad side effects. (You all ARE taking regular backups I hope).

Ms doesn't seem to have a system whereby mass updates can be applied later in the cycle. I'm sure I.T admins don't need the hassle of checking out updates every few days, stress testing these - especially with Corporate legacy applications and then rolling this stuff out across a whole slew of PC's.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 13, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    You have something there !
    I too always felt there should be a strictly business editions of windows 10 just for medium and large organizations that can be administered by one person and one place with complete control of updates on all the computers in network. It was idea from first Win NT, business only, no frills.

CountMike, Aug 13, 2015
  7. dmex Win User
    The Enterprise edition allows you to control when and how all updates are applied: "Windows 10 devices in these mission critical customer environments we will provide Long Term Servicing branches ... while minimizing change by not delivering new features for the duration of mainstream (five years)"

Windows 10 for Enterprise: More secure and up to date | Windows Blog

8. CountMike New Member

Windows 10 development.

According to:
    "There also will be a Current Branch available to users of all versions of Windows 10 which will push all security, hot fix and new feature updates to customers once released by Microsoft. And there will be a Current Business Branch, as well, which will allow Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Education and Windows 10 Enterprise users to postpone new feature updates for some set period of time before they must accept them. Microsoft officials are not sharing more specifics about the Current Business Branch at this time, a spokesperson said."
    Some Windows 10 Enterprise users won't get Microsoft's Edge browser | ZDNet
    It is not exactly full control of updates even on LTSB.

CountMike, Aug 13, 2015
  9. dmex Win User
    IF you read the full sentence, that only applies to the "Current Business Branch" and not the Long Term Servicing branch.

CBB is available for Win10 Pro, Win10 Education and Win10 Enterprise... What they're saying is anyone on CBB can't postpone updates indefinitely as you can on the LTSB *Wink

10. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Aug 13, 2015
  11. It can be setup to use "Windows Update For Business". When setup like that the IT person picks and choses what updates get pushed to PC's and when if ever. Windows 10 Education has the same option for Schools, Collages etc.

alphanumeric, Aug 13, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    Nice to know, not that I'm likely to get in that situation.

CountMike, Aug 13, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10 development.

Hi there

Thanks for the info.

Note a lot of businesses who give employee laptops load the PRO rather than the Enterprise versions so I assume that the Long term maintenance stuff applies also to Windows Pro editions --- situation seems still unclear at present.

Also one would hope that New / replacement laptops bought say after 2 years would still be able to get the Original (unmodified original install from I.T admin) Windows version - otherwise during the currency of the program you'd have loads of PC's all at different levels of maintenance etc.

Business users are different from individuals who can decide to roll back something whenever they like.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 13, 2015
  14. Me neither, I'm currently running Enterprise but don't have access to Windows Update for Business. At some point I'm going to have a look at the Windows 10 Education version. It also has Windows to Go which is why I installed Enterprise in the first place. I have an MSDN subscription so I get to play around with the different versions.

15. Have a look here, Windows 10 editions - Wikipedia if its accurate Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education have access to LTSB. I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. I haven't found any good links to actual Microsoft info though. You can still control updates even if not in LTSB. LTSB just means no new upgrades, no new features etc. That's how I read. Corporations have always had control over what updates get installed and when. If they have a corporate network setup etc. Enterprise, Education and Pro versions should be configurable to revive updates only from the corporate update server.

EDIT: Was looking at wrong row of chart Education is not LTSB.

Thema:

Windows 10 development.

1. Windows 10 development. - Similar Threads - development

2. Windows Developer Preview Not Booting to Setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Developer Preview Not Booting to Setup: HI I was installing Windows developer Preview In VMware workstation 17 Pro And while i was booting through the first setup process Within ISO File that i downloaded from archive.org there was black screen Error saying that Please Restart your PC with error code: 0x000001E. I...
  3. Windows Developer Preview Not Booting to Setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Developer Preview Not Booting to Setup: HI I was installing Windows developer Preview In VMware workstation 17 Pro And while i was booting through the first setup process Within ISO File that i downloaded from archive.org there was black screen Error saying that Please Restart your PC with error code: 0x000001E. I...
  4. How to enable Device Discovery in Windows 11 Developer Mode

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Device Discovery in Windows 11 Developer Mode: [IMG]In this post, we will help you with how to enable Device discovery in Windows 11 Developer Mode. The Device discovery feature helps to discover unmanaged devices such as mobile devices, network devices (like switches and routers), workstations, etc., which are not yet...
  5. Raw image development with Windows Photos application?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raw image development with Windows Photos application?: Hi everybody,I am using Window 10 Professional - Version 22H2 I see that it is possible to view or open ? a Raw image using the Windows Photos application. Is it the Jpeg image incorporated into the Raw or really an interpretation of the Raw data by the application? In other...
  6. Raw image development with Windows Photos application?

Raw image development with Windows Photos application?: Hi everybody,I am using Window 10 Professional - Version 22H2 I see that it is possible to view or open ? a Raw image using the Windows Photos application. Is it the Jpeg image incorporated into the Raw or really an interpretation of the Raw data by the application? In other...
  7. Should there be developer apps on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should there be developer apps on my computer?: My computer which I am having a lot of trouble with has what looks to be developer apps. I didn't know if this was normal.. I have included a couple of screenshots....
  8. Should there be developer apps on my computer?

Should there be developer apps on my computer?: My computer which I am having a lot of trouble with has what looks to be developer apps. I didn't know if this was normal.. I have included a couple of screenshots....
  9. Should there be developer apps on my computer?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. How to remove existing Windows and Windows Phone Annual Developer Registration?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove existing Windows and Windows Phone Annual Developer Registration?: Have an existing Windows and Windows Phone Annual Developer Registration, is it possible to remove it? I’m unable to see any other options to cancel it when I clicked on the manage button.How would this Windows and Windows Phone Annual Developer Registration affects my user...