Windows 10: Windows 10 digital license and upgrading my computer's hardware

Discus and support Windows 10 digital license and upgrading my computer's hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi! I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8 which I had an original copy of. I am looking to upgrade my computer's CPU and motherboard. Will I be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AynTan, Jan 13, 2019.

1. AynTan Win User

Windows 10 digital license and upgrading my computer's hardware

Hi!

I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8 which I had an original copy of. I am looking to upgrade my computer's CPU and motherboard. Will I be able to use the current version of windows that I have and if yes, is there a limit to how many upgrades I can do to my PC?

Thank you!

:)

AynTan, Jan 13, 2019
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Jan 13, 2019
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Jan 13, 2019
  4. Windows 10 digital license and upgrading my computer's hardware

Digital License

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 digital license and upgrading my computer's hardware

1. Windows 10 digital license and upgrading my computer's hardware - Similar Threads - digital license upgrading

2. Activating windows 10 with digital license on different hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating windows 10 with digital license on different hardware: Hi all, I have a new PC built, and I am trying to activate windows 10 Pro using the digital license from my old Laptop. My laptop had Windows 10 Home OEM, and I purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Windows Store. I tried contacting Microsoft Support by phone 3 times on...
  3. Hardware Change and Missing Digital License

Hardware Change and Missing Digital License: Hi there I purchased Windows 8 Pro in 2015 and used this to get the free Windows 10 upgrade. For the last five years Windows would always tell me that I had a digital license if I went into activation options under the settings panel. On my Microsoft account my PC would show...
  4. Window 10 upgrade digital license?

Window 10 upgrade digital license?: Hi, I am trying to upgrade my windows 7 PC to windows 10 HOME . I have been browsing the store and I cant seem to find a software copy/license key. I only want to purchase the product key via online (I don't want to buy a hard copy and have it delivered to me). Can I...
  5. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Digital License No Hardware Change

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Digital License No Hardware Change: Hi, I recently upgraded to windows 10 Pro from Home. I purchased the digital license through the Microsoft store. Immediately following the installation windows would not activate. There has been no hardware change and I am getting error code 0x803F7001....
  6. Digital license cannot activate Windows 10 Pro after hardware upgrade

Digital license cannot activate Windows 10 Pro after hardware upgrade: Hello, I've changed my hardware recently (motherboard, CPU...). Since then, I cannot re-activate my digital license. The error code is 0x803FA067. Before the changes, I linked my Windows digital license with a Microsoft account (following this:...
  7. Windows Digital License after a change of hardware

Windows Digital License after a change of hardware: Hello! Today i built a new PC where i basicly scrapped everything but my old SSD. To make sure i could use the same windows in the new build, i connected my windows license to my new account. Now in the new build i can't activate my windows account. When i troubleshoot the...
  8. Windows 10 Home Digital License upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home Digital License upgrade.: So im trying to upgrade my windows 10 home edition, wich i got via the free upgrade period a couple years back. I upgraded from Windows 7. However, im aware that i now have a digital license, so everytime im trying to change my Product key to my newly bought Windows 10 pro...
  9. Upgraded hardware. Windows 10 won't recognize my digital license from last install....

Upgraded hardware. Windows 10 won't recognize my digital license from last install....: I recently changed my mother board. In 2016 I upgraded my windows from 7 to 10 using the free update they offered. My Microsoft account WAS connected prior to the hardware change so as stated by Microsoft I should only need my account to activate my old version. I used the...
  10. Windows 10 Digital license key hardware change

Windows 10 Digital license key hardware change: I recently upgraded my computers motherboard and SSD under the assumption that with a windows 10 pro digital license I'd be able to move the license to my new SSD and mobo via my windows account which it was attached to however it's telling me I have no digital license and...