Windows 10: Windows 10 digital license - transfer to new disk

Discus and support Windows 10 digital license - transfer to new disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone. Originally I bought Windows 8.1 and installed it on PC A. I then did the free upgrade to Windows 10. Eventually I transferred the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by finnfire, Jun 4, 2019.

1. finnfire Win User

Windows 10 digital license - transfer to new disk

Hello everyone.

Originally I bought Windows 8.1 and installed it on PC A. I then did the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Eventually I transferred the SSD from PC A to a new PC - PC B. I was required to re-enter the product/activation key and had to click the 'Change product key' button. I entered the product/activation key (in the form xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx) and Windows 10 was re-activated successfully.

Now I need to install a larger SSD and will clone the old SSD to the new one (on PC B).

My question is - can I enter the product/activation key again? Will I need to?

I remember reading somewhere that the free upgrade to Win 10 can only be transferred once. So have I had my free 'go'?

TIA,

Steve

:)

finnfire, Jun 4, 2019

2. Digital License after transfer license to new computer

Uninstalling a product key does not deactivate the license, there is actually no deactivation method. You would still need to contact support to actually invalidate the license on the old machine, so it can reactivate on the new machine.

Transferring the license is a step by step process.

First, you either remove the license from the machine by formatting it.

Install it on the new machine.

Contact chat support, then reactivate.

Where Digital license is handy is when you are still using the machine and reinstall Windows 10 and need to reactivate the license after a significant hardware change, such as a hard disk.

Learn more:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

Andre Da Costa, Jun 4, 2019
  3. Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Jun 4, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Transferring Windows 10 to another computer Digital License

Hi Nikola,

Transferring a digital license to a new computer will depend on the type of Windows 10 license you have installed on your computer.

To address you're issue, we suggest that you follow the steps shared by
    Andre Da Costa
    on this thread about transferring Windows
    10 to another computer.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 digital license - transfer to new disk - Similar Threads - digital license transfer

2. Transfer digital license to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer digital license to new laptop: Hi, I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home preinstalled. I have a digital license for Windows 10 pro on an old PC. I would like to transfer the Pro license to the new laptop - either Windows 10 pro or Windows 11 pro. How do I transfer the digital License?Thank you!!...
  3. Transfer digital license to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer digital license to new laptop: Hi, I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home preinstalled. I have a digital license for Windows 10 pro on an old PC. I would like to transfer the Pro license to the new laptop - either Windows 10 pro or Windows 11 pro. How do I transfer the digital License?Thank you!!...
  4. Transferring Digital License to New PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Digital License to New PC: I want to transfer a retail digital license for Windows 10 Home Edition, purchased online, from my Lenovo desktop, which stopped working, to a new Dell desktop. I have tried all of the suggestions and MS Support, but I can't get through to talk to an actual person. I am...
  5. Transferring Digital License to a new PC

Transferring Digital License to a new PC: Hello, I am soon going to sell my PC and build a new one, but I'd like to transfer my digital license over to the new PC that I am going to build. I would also like to point out that my digital license is already linked to my Microsoft account. I need a explanation on how to...
  6. Windows 10 Digital License Transfer

Windows 10 Digital License Transfer: I'm about to upgrade my HDD to an SSD, but I'm not sure how to go about getting my copy of Windows 10 onto it. I purchased a retail copy of Windows 7 years ago, and used the free upgrade to Windows 10 within the past couple of years. I've since lost the original install disc,...
  7. Transfer Digital License To A New PC

Transfer Digital License To A New PC: So a few months ago I purchased Windows 10 Home from the Microsoft Store so I have a Digital License rather than a product key, my old PC unfortunately broke and I cannot log into it anymore so I bought a new one, after logging into my account it doesn't seem to want to...
  8. Transferring Digital License to new PC

Transferring Digital License to new PC: Hello, I have been trying to activate Windows 10 on my new computer using the digital license I have connected to my Microsoft account. I bought Windows 10 Pro digitally from Microsoft a few years ago and have been running it on my laptop since. My new desktop is meant to...
  9. Windows 10 digital license transfer to a new PC

Windows 10 digital license transfer to a new PC: Hello! I have a PC with Windows 10 Pro digital license linked to my Microsoft account. In a couple of days I will get a new PC. I'd like to transfer my digital license from this PC to the one I will get. Is this possible? And if it is, how exactly can I do that?...
  10. Digital License transfer to a new pc

Digital License transfer to a new pc: Greetings, I want to transfer my Windows 10 digital license to a new laptop which has shipped with pre-installed MS DOS. My old laptop had shipped with pre-installed Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Home (single language) using the free offer available during that...