Windows 10: Windows 10 DIR command output format changed

Discus and support Windows 10 DIR command output format changed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Due to a recent change in windows 10 ... it seems several commands no longer recognize switches ... that is not an insurmountable problem ... BUT ...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kevin Cook -, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10 DIR command output format changed

Due to a recent change in windows 10 ... it seems several commands no longer recognize switches ... that is not an insurmountable problem ... BUT ... the output format of the DIR command changed the format of the output and as such ... all of my scripts that used the format used for the past 20+ years will work now

Can someone tell me if there is a way to force Windows 10 Pro to output to use the old format?

:)

Kevin Cook -, Jan 16, 2020

2. dir Difficulties

I am getting the hang of this command set.

Maybe somebody know a work around that will list the three time stamps at one time.
    Theoretically dir /TC /TA /TW.
    dir will only show one of the three at one time.

To me it seems that the only way to get all three on a line is to run loop with output to file, then boiling down the three outputs to one line. Clumsy but maybe the only way to get the job done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikeincousa, Jan 16, 2020
  3. John Sarc Win User
    Changing Time Format

Hi Mary,

There's a possibility that the set up time format in your computer Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is military time. To have this checked, you can try to reset the time of your computer through Control Panel. See the steps below on how to do
    so:

• Open Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region >
      Change date, time, or number formats. This would open the
      Region
      window.
    • From there, click on Additional settings at the bottom part. It will open the Customize Format.
    • Click Reset; then, OK.

The steps should work; however, if not, we suggest that you contact manufacturer and have the BIOS time checked.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestions .

John Sarc, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10 DIR command output format changed

Windows 10 "dir" command and Windows API FindFirstFileW, FindNextFileW

What you are doing.

Try out on Windows 10 Prof. 1709 (Build 16299.125) 64Bit.

1. Start command line.

2. create 4 files test1.tx, test1.txt, test1.txt1, test1.txt11

3. type dir *.tx

found: test1.tx

4. type dir *.txt1

found: test1.txt1

5. type dir *.txt11

found: test1.txt11

and now

6. type dir *.txt

found: test1.txt

test1.txt1

test1.txt11

Is it an feature or an bug ?

The same results are on Windows API FindFirstFileW, FindNextFileW.

It seems like the search is in 8.3 (old dos) file name format.

How can i fix it.

In special i looking for VHD files but it also list all VHDX files.

The same on Windows 7 64Bit.

It could be i did not understand how the dir command (and Windows API) works.

In my opinion it is time to take a cut with the old DOS name schema.

Yes I can control and filter the results but that is not the solution.

Peter Förster, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 DIR command output format changed

1. Windows 10 DIR command output format changed - Similar Threads - DIR command output

2. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  3. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  4. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work: I am using W'10, Administrative Windows Power Shell, command line.When I do a "DIR" it works, but when I add parameters, I get this error message:-----------------PS C:\> dir /sdir : Cannot find path 'C:\s' because it does not exist.At line:1 char:1+ dir /s+ ~~~~~~ +...
  5. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work: I am using W'10, Administrative Windows Power Shell, command line.When I do a "DIR" it works, but when I add parameters, I get this error message:-----------------PS C:\> dir /sdir : Cannot find path 'C:\s' because it does not exist.At line:1 char:1+ dir /s+ ~~~~~~ +...
  6. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

7. Bug in the DIR command?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug in the DIR command?: Hi all. I'm running Version 10.0.17134.1365 and recently I've been testing long file names and how they're handled in an application that I work on. Strangely I noticed that when I try to see what the short name is for one of these files, they're not displaying correctly....
  8. Unable to create Command Prompt output like I have done before regarding the Dir command

Unable to create Command Prompt output like I have done before regarding the Dir command: Since I am retired and enjoying my life at home with my wife, she has not one complaint with me working on my home Projects for our home. I haven't swayed away from enjoying being on this PC even here at home. I Love it!!!! This output below is what I am talking about...
  9. DIR commands

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DIR commands: So recently I used the DIR commands to be able to see hidden and Invisible files, is there any way to revert this? submitted by /u/Creeper_King_558 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/inyfq2/dir_commands/
  10. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

in Windows 10 Support
    "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command: Windows 10 seems to have a new set of info returned by the "dir" Powershell command. This appears under the "Mode" heading, e.g. -a---- or d----- , but nowhere have I found what these entries mean or how to interpret the individual characters. I get that they have to do with...