Windows 10: Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder

Discus and support Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I ran disk clean up last night, and noticed that the Downloads folder were an option. On account that I’ve used this tool for decades, and that it says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BeardHammer, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder

I ran disk clean up last night, and noticed that the Downloads folder were an option. On account that I’ve used this tool for decades, and that it says that it removes «unnecessary files», I thought that I would clean up some leftovers from various updates. But instead it wiped the entire folder clean! It contained everything from photos, documents, programs etc!

How do I recover these files?!

:)

BeardHammer, Mar 9, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Mar 9, 2019
  4. badcrc Win User

Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder

Disk Cleanup - downloads folder

Just noticed that 1809 disk cleanup now has downloads in the list - could cause problems if you're not paying attention. I'm used to blindly ticking all boxes...

Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder [​IMG]

badcrc, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder

1. Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder - Similar Threads - Disk CleanUp wiped

2. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  3. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  4. DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER

in Windows 10 Support
    DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER: I had no idea 'DISK CLEANUP" on my ROOT DISK would totally wipe my "DOCUMENTS" Folder and some extremely important files, all it left was a 'desktop'ini'. It did not touch my DOWNLOADS folder. Does anyone know why it would do this? Can I not trust it any more? AND why would...
  5. Evil windows wiped my entire downloads folder clean

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Evil windows wiped my entire downloads folder clean: hello everyone I'm using windows 10, and a few days ago it updated itself. after the update it seemed like my whole desktop was gone with it's downloads, but it was not the case and everything was well. the files were hiding elsewhere, and a quick search on the internet...
  6. Will deleting "Downloads" in Disk Cleanup completely erase everything in my downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Will deleting "Downloads" in Disk Cleanup completely erase everything in my downloads folder?: Im wondering this because im trying to speed up my pc and i saw the "Downloads" on disk cleanup. I have alot of stuff in there and i dont want want to delete it because idk if it will make me have to reinstall EVERYTHING such as Steam....
  7. Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders

Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders: Hi, I am using Disk cleanup tools to clean my PC once in a while. I found a problem while trying to clean my Download folder. As per the size stated in Disk Cleanup, my Download folder is empty 0kb. But in actual fact, there are still some big sizes folders in the Download...
  8. Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder

Windows 10 (1803.17134 ) Disk Cleanup deleted the contents of my downloads folder: When running disk cleanup, when I included 'clean up system files' the last entry was 'downloaded files 79gb'. The description was activex controls and javaapplets temporarily stored in the downloads folder. I don't know why I thought there could possibly be that volume of...
  9. Disk Cleanup - downloads folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup - downloads folder: Just noticed that 1809 disk cleanup now has downloads in the list - could cause problems if you're not paying attention. I'm used to blindly ticking all boxes... [img] 122195
  10. Disk Cleanup can now wipe your downloads folder in Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 News
    Disk Cleanup can now wipe your downloads folder in Windows 10 version 1809: Microsoft has released Windows 10 October 2018 Update, or the version 1809 – following the Windows 10 April 2018 Update that released back in spring of 2018. Windows 10 October 2018 Update comes with several new features and improvements to freshen up your PC experience....