Windows 10: Windows 10 - disk swap to new hardware

Discus and support Windows 10 - disk swap to new hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had an old Dell Windows 10 upgraded from W7 which lost it's mouse and keyboard after a Windows update. I have used an existing alternative HP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BigDog57, Jul 2, 2020.

1. BigDog57 Win User

Windows 10 - disk swap to new hardware

I had an old Dell Windows 10 upgraded from W7 which lost it's mouse and keyboard after a Windows update. I have used an existing alternative HP computer I believe that this has never even been started up before and transferred the hard disk across and booted it in. I was pleased to see it booted, updated everything OK and I was able to work. However it no longer likes my Windows and asks me to reactivate Windows because the hardware has changed. Can I use the license key on the outside of the new box to activate Windows successfully? Thanks.

:)

BigDog57, Jul 2, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Hi BigDog57

Is the new PC Windows 10 Home or Pro?

The reason I suggested activating the new hard drive, is because that will create a digital activation on the Microsoft Activation Servers for that PC's Hardware, so if things go wrong with the hard drive swap, then you will still have activated Windows 10
    on the new PC on the new hard drive . . .

Of the old Windows is Windows 10 Pro, and the new Windows is Windows 10 Home, then you will not be able to activate that old hard drive on the new PC . . .

DaveM121, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 5, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Hi BigDog57

That HP PC, did that come with Windows 10 pre-installed?

If so, is that the exact same edition (Home, Pro . . etc) as is installed on the other hard drive you transferred into that PC?

If so, you need to re-insert the original hard drive from that new PC and activate the Windows 10 that came with that, so that PC has a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation servers

Then, you should be able to swap out that drive and Windows should self-activate on the other drive . . .

DaveM121, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - disk swap to new hardware - Similar Threads - disk swap hardware

2. Windows activation after hardware swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after hardware swap: Switched out my motherboard. Windows claims that it isn't activated anymore. My windows key is tied to my account, which happens to be the only account on the system. Troubleshoot activation says I'm not connected to the internet. Turned off firewall to no success, then...
  3. Hardware swap windows key confusion.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hardware swap windows key confusion.: I'm using an HP 15-r011dx laptop and want to upgrade HDD to SSD so I'm confused that do I have to buy new windows or it'll take the key automatically. If it takes automatically how does it work? Do I download windows from the official website and install it from the...
  4. Disk swap to new system, destroyed majority of files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk swap to new system, destroyed majority of files: Hi, I'm having a very strange and serious issue. I build a small NAS and yes, not best practice used windows 10 as System for that NAS. Since I did not want to transfer my backup over Network first, I installed a 12 TB drive on an external HDD Hub and connected it with the...
  5. Windows 10 activation after hardware swap

Windows 10 activation after hardware swap: Hello, I have recently swapped out most of my pc hardware and can no longer use my activation code and I have checked on the help pages and haven't found anything that has helped. Any suggestions?...
  6. BSOD after Hardware Swap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Hardware Swap: Hey, yesterday i swapped out my Intel I7 6700K and my Asus Hero VIII for an x570 Aorus Elite with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X. After swapping Out the Hardware i got alot of Windows Crashes during boot or while doing something. But a few times i could use everything normally. I...
  7. windows 10 swap into new hard drive

windows 10 swap into new hard drive: I have an older computer, dell inspiron 1525, needs a new hard drive. I have a valid windows 10 pro 64 bit operating system. Is it possible to reinstall my windows OS on the new hard drive with the current product key?...
  8. WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco

WIndows Activation after Hardware Swap Fiasco: Changed motherboards on computer using windows 10 pro Windows version was previously a windows 7 forced upgrade to windows 10. Swapped motherboard and followed activation instructions via virtual assistant and called support as prompted by virtual assistant. I've...
  9. Windows 10 activation after swapping hardware

Windows 10 activation after swapping hardware: Hi everyone, I just upgraded my PC. New MB, CPU, HD etc. I had an activated copy Windows 10 Pro installed on my old mechanical drive. The new copy of Windows 10 Pro has the same license key, but I can't seem to activate it. When you troubleshoot and click "I've swapped...
  10. shady hardware swap

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    shady hardware swap: I recently bought a Lenovo idea pad laptop. immediately after I lost the charging cord. I took laptop to a small tech shop to get a cord. the guy plugged in 3 or 4 cords announced that my chaging port was bad and tht he would change it no charge.30 minute later he was still...