Windows 10: Windows 10 Disk Usage History

Discus and support Windows 10 Disk Usage History in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10 Home installed on my laptop. I'm a developer and recently I installed Docker Desktop which required WLS2, so I installed it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnNegoita, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Disk Usage History

Hi,

I have Windows 10 Home installed on my laptop. I'm a developer and recently I installed Docker Desktop which required WLS2, so I installed it.

Before starting to install Docker Desktop I had about 180GB out of 500GB free disk space and after installation I went down to 140GB.

This was about a month ago. Then, without installing any other software, just from reqular use I noticed the free disk space went down to 120, then 110 and then 85GB I did install a Windows update in the mean time and did normal work on the internet downloading small files.

Question is: Is there a way to see what took so much disk space in the last month? Is there a way to see disk space usage history?

thanks,

John

:)

JohnNegoita, Nov 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Windows 10 100% disk usage problem

Hi Jae,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

Details tab.
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.
    Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Disk Usage History

Rapid Disk Usage Variations on Windows 10.

Hi Crackers,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Widows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are facing issues with access the operating system as it randomly performs slow and becomes slow. We will help you with this issue.

Provide us the below details to assist you better:

• Do let us know the make and model of your device?
    • Does this issue persists when you place your laptop in Safe mode as well?
    • Is this issue specific while performing and particular task on your device?

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

step 1: Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 10, you may try the following steps.

Details
      tab.

OK.

Also, refer to: Free
    up drive space in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Disk Usage History

1. Windows 10 Disk Usage History - Similar Threads - Disk Usage History

2. High disk usage windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High disk usage windows 10.: Hey folks, got a problem where my pc is running terrible, just terrible. Task manager and resource monitor not really showing me anything. ran sfc /scannow and windows found corrupted files but couldn't repair them. I can upload the CBS.log if you'd all like to see, but would...
  3. disk usage in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk usage in windows 10: dear sir ,I have winows 10 on my laptop when windows update enabled my disk usage is 100% and laptop became very slow when disabled disk usage is around 5% and laptop became very good .please your help to keep windows update enabled and accepte disk usage Thank you...
  4. disk usage in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk usage in windows 10: dear sir ,I have winows 10 on my laptop when windows update enabled my disk usage is 100% and laptop became very slow when disabled disk usage is around 5% and laptop became very good .please your help to keep windows update enabled and accepte disk usage Thank you...
  5. disk usage in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. 100% disk usage on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage on Windows 10: Hi Microsoft Comunity,all, I have struggled with this 100% disk usage issue for more than 2 years or more from updating my Windows 7 to Win10 in fact. I'vre tried diffrent solutions but the effect is always short and then things goes very bad again. Most of the time the most...
  7. Windows 10 100% Disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 100% Disk usage: Hiya, I had the same problem 2 months ago and I couldn't find a solution. I end up re-install windows and all the programs on my PC. After an update the windows will use 100% of my disk. On task manager will not show which task is using the HD so it must be a system task. I...
  8. Windows 10 100% Disk usage..

Windows 10 100% Disk usage..: Hello all, First of all I apologize for my english I am not good enough. So my problem is that my computer is really slow for no reason. On the Task Manager the disk usage is on 100% and when its on 0% and I open any program it turns one more time to 100... I've already...
  9. 100% disk usage, windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage, windows 10: I have bought a new laptop last week and its disk usage is 100%. I am using Intel 15 8th Gen and 4GB RAM with Windows 10. Any update from Microsoft? What should I do? My new laptop is not working as per expectation....
  10. Windows 10 100% disk usage

Windows 10 100% disk usage: So the laptop updated (1607) and surprise surprise it's been sluggish since. [img] I think I may move over to Linux, this is beyond a joke. 66642