Windows 10: Windows 10 disk volume randomly un-assigning letter

Discus and support Windows 10 disk volume randomly un-assigning letter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, this is happening whilst Windows 10 64bit is up running not after a reboot to be clear both in version 20H2 and the previous version 2004... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tomb_2020, Oct 26, 2020.

1. tomb_2020 Win User

Windows 10 disk volume randomly un-assigning letter

Hello, this is happening whilst Windows 10 64bit is up running not after a reboot to be clear both in version 20H2 and the previous version 2004 installed 31st July 2020, but not before and it was staying assigned for over a year before this started happening. My motherboard SATA connected Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD keeps losing it's drive letter, no events logged in any event logs I can find, I can re-assign drive letter with diskpart no issues manually, no data loss etc. Samsung Magician shows no issues and Samsung themselves have said it's probably Windows losing the drive letter assignment but they cannot say why or prove it. There's no sleep timer on the disks as well as far as I can see. I could write a script to check it's assigned a letter and assign one if not, but really I shouldn't have to. Any ideas anyone please? TIA

:)

tomb_2020, Oct 26, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 26, 2020
  3. RichardC Win User
    Macrium Reflect assigning letters question

When I use diskpart in cmd promt, I only have 2 volumes listed: D for my rewritable dvd drive and C for my OS volume. When I open disk management in windows only C and D is listed. When I open Minitool Partition Wizard, I only have C listed. When I open Macrorit Partition Expert, I only have C listed. But when I open Macrium Reflect 7, I have 4 volumes listed: volume 1, labeled ESP (fat32), is assigned the letter E; volume 4, labeled winretools, is assigned the letter X; volume 5 is my OS and assigned the letter C; and volume 7, labeled PBR, is assigned the letter Y.

Can someone explain why only MR7 shows these assigned letters? I've had Macrium for quite a while and never experienced this before.

RichardC, Oct 26, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management

Hi Pradeep

Okay, we will try this the old fashioned way . . .

Close Disk Management and File Explorer, if they are open . . .

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting dialog, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

list volume

Note down the volume number of that partition (please make sure you have the correct partition)

Run this command and hit Enter (replace x with the correct volume number)

select volume x

assign letter=H

Close Command Prompt

Check in Disk Management if that letter has been assigned . . .

DaveM121, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 disk volume randomly un-assigning letter - Similar Threads - disk volume randomly

2. How do I assign a drive letter to an empty volume in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I assign a drive letter to an empty volume in Windows 10: So I have the two drives displayed above in my computer, but when I right click them the only option I get is 'Delete Volume...'I would love to know how I can make these drives options to 'Mark Partition as Active' or 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...' active....
  3. Certain letters assigned to a disk drive are not visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Certain letters assigned to a disk drive are not visible in Windows Explorer: When I assign certain letters to a drive using disk manger, the drive is not visible to This PC. For example, the k: drive is not visible in This PC, but I can access it through the cli. Task manager also sees the drive.Then I reassign the k: drive to t: using disk manager,...
  4. Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned: Hello Microsoft Community, Yesterday 4/5/2021 I encountered a problem when booting Windows 10 on my PC. I saw the initial BIOS screen and after a few seconds a black screen occured. I was so surprised because on the same day morning everything was working fine and the...
  5. Can't assign a letter for drive in Windows Disk Manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't assign a letter for drive in Windows Disk Manager: I have a drive which have three partitions one unallocated, I want to change the letter of a partition. I can't change the drive letter.. i tried many software but I can't. Please help Thanks in advance. Here is the Image >> [ATTACH]...
  6. Volume assigned drive letter keeps disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume assigned drive letter keeps disappearing: For about a month now I've had an issue with a drive letter for a logical volume disappearing and I cant' find out why. The volume is on a RAID array, and the other volumes on the array are not affected. I've written a script to check for the volume being mounted, and to...
  7. Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter

Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter: Windows just refuses to assign a drive letter to my external Nvme m2 pcie drive . It can see the drive but incorrectly reports the size as 2TB when it is actually 1Tb then when opening the menus everything is greyed out. I opened the drive in a number of partition programs...
  8. Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable To Assign Letter To Disk Partition In Disk Management: Hi, I Have An External Hard Disk and For Some Reason One Of Its Partitions Did Not Show Up In The Explorer So I Researched And Found Out That It Was Because There Was No Letter Assigned To It. I Opened Up Disk Management And Tried To Assign A Letter To It But There was An...
  9. Network assigning additional letters/numbers to disk drive.

Network assigning additional letters/numbers to disk drive.: AFter adding a disk drive to my network, the drive is assigned number and letters after the disk name. Programs cannot find the disk and I cannot rename it....
  10. Windows 10 - letter assignment

Windows 10 - letter assignment: I've had an issue since fresh reinstallation of Windows 10 (1809). When it booted up, the SSD with OS was obviously C and the installation USB was D. Then, I cleaned the USB using diskpart, assigned letter D to my HDD, which was not formatted before and letter E to my...