Windows 10: Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear

Discus and support Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am frustrated and hope that somebody an point me to the right direction looking for a solution on this one: When writing to any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by teckau, Nov 17, 2019.

1. teckau Win User

Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear

Hello everyone,

I am frustrated and hope that somebody an point me to the right direction looking for a solution on this one:

When writing to any harddrive (may it be an Intel software RAID0, a dynamic disk RAID0, a parity Storage Space or any other disk (even iSCSI)) my Windows 10 Pro does not perform linear. Copying 12 TB of files (mostly 50-100GB in size) I can see that the drives or setups do perform like expected (in each given setup, e. g. 350MB/s for my RAID0 setups). But in all cases and all of a sudden the performance goes down south to something like 20-50% of the maximum. That happens within a data transfer of one file. It happens unexpectedly and frequently. I can see that the wait queue goes up and that CPU goes down (queue: from 2 to 5, CPU from 25% to 16-17%). And a minute later or so performance will be restored.

I have tried checking for interfering processes doing other i/o on the disk: Nope. Caching problems/effects: Nope. I disabled caching completely and I can see expected changes BUT the strange behavior stays.

So I can tell that it has nothing to do with the hardware (drives, were different), not with the RAID techology (Intel software RAID vs. Windows drive management vs. Storage Spaces). Nothing with the busses or cables (USB and SATA behave likewise). ...

Where to go from here? What to look for? I am really not seeing any other option to check and I am frustrated like hell...

Thanks for any reply!

Cheers

Thorsten

:)

teckau, Nov 17, 2019
  2. Rohit_R Win User

The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

Hi Fernanda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In regards to your concern, please help me with following questions:

• Is the Hard drive external or internal?
    You can try following steps and check if that fixes the issue:

1. Run Virus scan on the Hard Drive.
    2. Perform check disk commands on the Hard Disk to fix the Disk errors.
    Refer to this article.

Note: Remove all the external devices before performing check disk.

Data Loss Disclaimer:

While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Nov 17, 2019
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear

DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear

1. Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear - Similar Threads - disk write performance

2. Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space: I have a storage space that consists of three internal Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 drives. They are set up as a single drive with no redundancy.If I copy files from this I get about 200 MB/s performance. When I write to this space I get about 40 MB/s performance.Task...
  3. Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space: I have a storage space that consists of three internal Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 drives. They are set up as a single drive with no redundancy.If I copy files from this I get about 200 MB/s performance. When I write to this space I get about 40 MB/s performance.Task...
  4. Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space: I have a storage space that consists of two internal Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 drives. They are set up as a single drive with no redundancy.If I copy files from this I get about 200 MB/s performance. When I write to this space I get about 40 MB/s performance.Task Manager...
  5. "This disk is write-protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "This disk is write-protected": I have pictures in my disk drive C and moved one onto my local disk D. The action was interrupted and a pop-up window appeared that the Disk is "write-protected". What does it mean? Should I remove it?...
  6. Macrium write performance.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium write performance.: Which setting is for the best performance for creating an image? File system cache or direct disk I/O, bit confused here. [img] OS 2004 build 19645.1 Thanks. 158231
  7. Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to read/write to External disk - Windows 10: Hi Everyone, I am using Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. I am having 1 TB external drive and unable to read/write files to it. Please assist. I tried multiple options like changing permissions, change owners, regedit etc Regards, Siva...
  8. Windows 10 file write performance

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 file write performance: I was recently following the excellent tutorials on using Macrium Reflect free. I successfully created a clean windows install (using yet another excellent tutorial), updated all drivers, installed all patches and applications. I then used the Macrium boot USB to start my...
  9. Excessive writing to disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excessive writing to disk: When W10 wakes up from sleep it writes to the disk for 3 to 5 min, what's wrong? Also at start up it writes for 5+ min before I can log in. Can anything be done?...
  10. Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable Disk Write Caching on SSD in Windows 10: Hi, I read the tutorial on how to disable write caching. But, when I shut down and later turn on my PC and check the policy tab for my Samsung SSD C: drive the caching box is checked again. Also I turned off "RAPID" on the SSD. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks...