Windows 10: Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32

Discus and support Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi thereI am trying to change some registry keys in an offline image BOOT.WIM as to ensure a recovery-media startup uses the right screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jan Scherpbier, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32

Hi thereI am trying to change some registry keys in an offline image BOOT.WIM as to ensure a recovery-media startup uses the right screen resolution.Therefore i use Windows Powershell admin and make some commandline entries.dism /mount-wim /wimfile:G:\SOURCES\BOOT.WIM /index:1 /mountDir:H:\Scherpbierje\export reg load hklm\temp "H:\Scherpbierje\export\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT" reg add "HKLM\temp\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /t REG_SZ /v "X:\Programs\Paragon Software\program\hdm17.exe" /d "HIGHDPIAWARE" /f reg add "HKLM\temp\Control Panel\Deskto

:)

Jan Scherpbier, Aug 1, 2021
  2. Rose Cal Win User

How to fix error unmountable boot volume

Hi James,

It is possible that you received the error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME due to a damaged file system which failed to mount. This error also means that sub-system on machine failed to mount the boot volume. To efficiently assist you, we'd like
    to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What is the exact error message you received?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you you follow the steps shared by Michelle Her and
    Billion Debbarma on this threads below to troubleshoot your concern:

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 1, 2021
  3. Noela Tum Win User
    UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error

Hi Andre,

The challenge that you're experiencing when you got the error, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME,
    is due to a damaged file system that failed to mount. It also means that sub-system in the machine failed to mount the boot volume. To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did you first encounter the issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • How did you upgrade the device to Windows 10?

You can also follow the steps that was shared by Michelle Her and
    Billion Debbarma on these threads to troubleshoot the issue:

Hope this helps and let us know if it works.

Noela Tum, Aug 1, 2021
  4. DavidY Win User

Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32

DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

Ah I thought you might be doing the DISM/drivers one.

It is good info and I use parts of this frequently when I'm reinstalling on my old hardware and need to manually add drivers.

I would suggest DISM /Get-Drivers as an alternate to the Powershell step in 2.2 - the table format is quite useful I find.

One method of applying the drivers I tried which seems to work (not sure how valid it is) when clean-installing a machine as a one-off:
    1. Export drivers as per Step 2
    2. Use DISM /Get-Drivers to show which driver is which, and copy only the ones I know are problematic to a subfolder, and add this subfolder to a bootable Windows 10 Setup USB
    3. Boot Windows 10 Setup from the USB
    4. Open a command prompt with Shift F10, type command 'wpeutil shutdown' but don't press enter. Instead, Alt-Tab back to Setup
    5. Follow the normal clean install process, delete partitions and let it install the relevant edition
    6. When it says Restarting in a few seconds, quickly Alt-Tab to the command prompt and press enter, to stop it restarting but shut down instead
    7. Boot again from the USB, go straight into Shift-F10, and use DISM /add-driver to add relevant drivers to the offline Windows drive as per Step 4
    8. wpeutil shutdown again, and let it restart this time, so that Windows boots and finishes configuring itself with the new drivers available to it.
    I found it easier than Mounting the image and also means I don't change the .WIM so I can use that on other hardware without fear of non-standard (and probably quite old) drivers getting in the way .

Although in some cases I could install and change it once Windows is up and running , one of 1709's default drivers causes a BSOD during installation itself, if I don't add the alternative manually using the above technique before it gets to that point.

But it's not a technique I've seen anywhere else so I'm probably bending the rules somewhere. *Wink

DavidY, Aug 1, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32

1. Windows 10 dism unmount offline image failed with error 32 - Similar Threads - dism unmount offline

2. DISM Windows 10 offline problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Windows 10 offline problem: Hello I have problem with my win its wont start normally, I downloaded a windows 10 home 64 on USB using media creation from Microsoft website to fix the problem. But it seems I have a problem with the DISM offline command!! Can you please show me wht is the correct DISM...
  3. DISM fails to repair offline Windows

DISM fails to repair offline Windows: I am trying to revive my Windows OS using DISM but it fails with error 0x800F081F. I am booting the machine with latest USB Boot Media (2004) and trying to repair Windows. The details are: 1. Original Disk failed due to bad sectors. 2. Cloned disk using Macrium Reflect (Free...
  4. DISM offline fix failing - no source

DISM offline fix failing - no source: A client dropped off a machine to be repaired. It was loaded with Windows 10 home, and the initial build was 1809 (I am unsure if the user has done any of the feature upgrades). The machine will not boot into normal mode or into safe mode. I can get it to troubleshooting and...
  5. Dism failing in restoring health of Windows Image

Dism failing in restoring health of Windows Image: I am trying to restore health of my Win 10 Pro image. I downloaded the fresh Win 10 64 bit ISO from MS. Converted the install.esd to install.wim. But after running 82.9% Dism is failing with the error that source file could not be found.I first kept install.wim in root...
  6. Using DISM to restore offline image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using DISM to restore offline image: Hi Microsoft, My windows 10 bootloader is corrupted. I receive errors 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000098 while booting. I have found different methods on internet to fix it but none of it seemed to work. I was trying to repair my image using dism.exe but the problem i am facing...
  7. dism offline repair fails with 'The cleanup-image option is unknown."

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    dism offline repair fails with 'The cleanup-image option is unknown.": Hello I have a laptop that I took the HDD out of and connected it to another Windows 10 machine. I ran the command Dism /Image:e:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth but get the error Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10240.16384 Image...
  8. DISM Error 32 please Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM Error 32 please Help: When I ran this line: dism.exe /Capture-Image /ImageFile:G:\wimfiles\install.wim /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:Windows_10 / compress:max I got a error 32. I sent along the log file and a picture of the screen when the error came up what do I need to do? Is there somewhere on this...
  9. DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows install image,...
  10. DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...