Windows 10: Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

Discus and support Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by [Dondon], Nov 11, 2021.

1. [Dondon] Win User

Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor connected via an HDMI cable. The problem is, both my displays freeze up after a random amount of time, however, I know it's only the displays freezing and not my whole computer because I can still play and pause Youtube videos, people can still hear me through Discord calls, etc. Also, my mouse is still moving on the screens, the only ways I've found to temporarily fix the frozen screen is to restart my computer or to disconnect and reconnect my HDMI c

:)

[Dondon], Nov 11, 2021

2. Computer and mouse freeze

Hi

There are several reasons that could have cause your keyboard and mouse to freeze. To know more about the issue, we will ask some questions to help us:

• Were there recent changes made before the issue occurred?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to know where the issue is coming from?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    for us to check all setting needed to help us in resolving your issue.

Let us know about the update.

Kristine Som, Nov 11, 2021
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 11, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

Mouse momentarily freezes since Windows 10 Creator edition was installed

Thank you for your response. When I select "Let me pick from a list of device on my computer" I get 2 options:

HID-Compliant device

HID-Compliant Mouse

I select "HID-Compliant Mouse" followed by the "Next" button.

The message "Windows has successfully updated your drivers" is displayed. I did not get a list of drivers to choose from.

This did not resolve the problem.

I have made a further observation as follows:

When the system is searching for drivers there is a green progress bar moves across the screen. This progress bar is also freezing at the same time that the mouse is freezing. Does this suggest that it is a display issue rather than a mouse issue?

I have also timed the freezing and it is occurring for about 1/2 a second every 2 seconds rather than that originally stated above.

richardstreet1, Nov 11, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

1. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works - Similar Threads - Display Freezes Mouse

2. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works: I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor connected via an HDMI cable. The problem is, both my displays freeze up after a random amount of time, however, I know it's only the...
  3. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works: I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor connected via an HDMI cable. The problem is, both my displays freeze up after a random amount of time, however, I know it's only the...
  4. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  5. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  6. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Display freezes, but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display freezes, but mouse still moves: I'm having a Dell G3 3579 laptop, and recently, there's an issue of the screen freezing up, but the mouse still move, and everything else works just fine for a few mins, until the laptop totally freezes up.I've done the hardware tests, and didnt get any kind of error. Ran a...
  8. Display freezes, but mouse still moves

Display freezes, but mouse still moves: I'm having a Dell G3 3579 laptop, and recently, there's an issue of the screen freezing up, but the mouse still move, and everything else works just fine for a few mins, until the laptop totally freezes up.I've done the hardware tests, and didnt get any kind of error. Ran a...
  9. windows freezes but mouse still works

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows freezes but mouse still works: so im doing this for my brother. so yesterday he opened his computer and then it said Toshiba like it always has and then when the screen turned to the lock screen nothing showed up except his lock screen background and his mouse whatever button you pressed nothing happened...
  10. Windows 10 freezes, mouse still moveable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 freezes, mouse still moveable: Hello, I've been looking for a solution but seem to not find anything that solves my problem so here is my problem: I recently updated my windows 7 PC to a 100% clean fresh installation of windows 10 even going so far to overwrite any personal data over it to start from...