Windows 10: Windows 10: Display settings change everytime I unplug my laptop from my monitor

Discus and support Windows 10: Display settings change everytime I unplug my laptop from my monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have windows 10 on my computer, and I have both a laptop and a monitor at my desk. When I have the laptop connected to the monitor, I want the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CarolynLewelling, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Windows 10: Display settings change everytime I unplug my laptop from my monitor

I have windows 10 on my computer, and I have both a laptop and a monitor at my desk. When I have the laptop connected to the monitor, I want the display in "Extend Screens" mode. It used to automatically go to "extend screens" mode whenever I plugged into the monitor, but for the past few weeks, it defaults to just using one of the screens until I go to display settings and choose the "extend screens" option. Then it works fine until I unplug the laptop again. How do I get my display settings to save as extend screens again?

:)

CarolynLewelling, Jan 16, 2019
  2. delpi767 Win User

No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update.

I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one display is shown.

I have confirmed that the monitor works by trying it with another laptop. I have also changed the HDMI cable between the laptop and the external monitor.

Device manager reports that I have the latest display driver installed.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

delpi767, Jan 16, 2019
  3. spearsas Win User
    Windows 10 default to single monitor display

I'm looking for assistance connecting my laptop to an external monitor using a display port cable.

Issue: Upon upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I'm unable to extend my laptop display to an external Dell monitor. Whenever I click to extend the display, my external monitor does not
    turn on and when I click "keep changes" the settings auto-revert back to single monitor display.

The settings pane in both Windows and Intel settings shows that another monitor is present but for some reason it won't connect

When my laptop was running Windows 7, I never had any issues plugging and unplugging the display port cable to auto-extend the display to the external Dell monitor. Which means the only change to my previous set up is Windows 10

Trouble shooting I've already completed several times:

• uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for both the Intel HD graphics card and the external Dell monitor
    • Multiple reboots
    • Configuring extended display settings in both the Windows and Intel settings
    • Downloaded CCleaner to clean up any broken links
    • Using a different display port cable and monitor to confirm there are no issues with the hardware

Request: Does anyone know what is causing this issue? I've been browsing MS forums for several days and I can't find any answers that resolve my problem.

spearsas, Jan 16, 2019
  4. jfkjax Win User

Windows 10: Display settings change everytime I unplug my laptop from my monitor

Win10 laptop w/laptop display (no others) labeled 2, can't change to 1

alphanumeric and Helmut, Thank you for your replies.

1. The drivers were installed when Windows 10 was installed. There was nothing on the laptop prior to installing Windows 10.
    2. I don't have another display to try attaching as suggested.
    3. Not sure if it's always been like this or not. I just started looking at the configuration settings a week or so ago.
    4. To check hardware status, I've run a bunch of Lenovo tests and update checks. Nothing found.
    5. I did the Device Manager suggestion. 2 PnP monitors listed ... clicked "Show Hidden devices" ... found 2 more PnP monitors for a total of 4 ... uninstalled all 4 ... restarted ... same situation. Results: Device Manager now only lists 2 PnP monitors total (no hidden monitors) even though the only monitor is the laptop built-in monitor, but no change on the designation of laptop monitor being number "2" monitor.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Not sure why it is like this. Might be something like Win10 compatibility, old hardware, or similar.

I've taken enough of your time on this. I can live with it as it is. Might decide to upgrade to a new and current laptop, or just proceed as is. Anyway, your responses are greatly appreciated!

jfkjax, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10: Display settings change everytime I unplug my laptop from my monitor

1. Windows 10: Display settings change everytime I unplug my laptop from my monitor - Similar Threads - Display settings change

2. everytime i unplug my laptop it just shuts off someone help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    everytime i unplug my laptop it just shuts off someone help: Idk what to do it just keeps on crashing and idk what to do why is my laptop shutting down when i unplug it can someone please explain. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/everytime-i-unplug-my-laptop-it-just-shuts-off/537c1972-031c-4395-b9f6-f0550c91ce59
  3. everytime i unplug my laptop it just shuts off someone help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    everytime i unplug my laptop it just shuts off someone help: Idk what to do it just keeps on crashing and idk what to do why is my laptop shutting down when i unplug it can someone please explain. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/everytime-i-unplug-my-laptop-it-just-shuts-off/537c1972-031c-4395-b9f6-f0550c91ce59
  4. My Monitor Changes Hz When I Unplug My Second Monitor in Dual Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Monitor Changes Hz When I Unplug My Second Monitor in Dual Display: My monitor changes from 60 Hz to 120 Hz after i unplug my second monitor from dual display, i want to stop my monitor from constantly changing Hz so is there anyway i can fix the Hz at 60?, Any help would be appreciated thanks!...
  5. My Monitor Changes Hz When I Unplug My Second Monitor in Dual Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Monitor Changes Hz When I Unplug My Second Monitor in Dual Display: My monitor changes from 60 Hz to 120 Hz after i unplug my second monitor from dual display, i want to stop my monitor from constantly changing Hz so is there anyway i can fix the Hz at 60?, Any help would be appreciated thanks!...
  6. Screen oversaturated everytime I unplug my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen oversaturated everytime I unplug my laptop: I have an HP laptop and for some reason without any warnings everytime I unplug it the screen gets oversaturated to the point where it kinda hurts my eyes so I have to keep my laptop plugged. I've tried AMD Catalyst and DCCW and both of these don't work and I've constantly...
  7. How Can I Stop Display Settings from Changing When Unplugging Laptop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Can I Stop Display Settings from Changing When Unplugging Laptop?: Hello, I have been experiencing an issue where my laptop's display settings change whenever I unplug it and switch to battery power. Specifically, unplugging the laptop reduces the display's refresh rate. The normal setting for the refresh rate is 60hz [ATTACH]...
  8. blue screen whenever i unplug my monitor from my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    blue screen whenever i unplug my monitor from my laptop: hi guys I've had an issue these couple weeks, as you see from the title. I have a Lenovo laptop and I use a hp monitor as a second monitor, but for some reason whenever I want to use my laptop only "without the monitor", it gives me a blue screen not instantly but...
  9. My laptop display is being put on a higher quality monitor everytime I connect the monitor...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop display is being put on a higher quality monitor everytime I connect the monitor...: I tried changing the display resolution to 4k as we have a 4k tv but the display is forced to use 720p resolution, and I didnt know what would happen but ever since i put it at its native resolution, I'm not able to use my laptop screen unless the monitor us connected, then...
  10. Stop windows from changing my display settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Stop windows from changing my display settings: I am using Portraits Inc HP My Display to set my brightness, contrast , and color ( warm or cool) as recommended by HP Support . The computer is HP Envy Recline 23-k011. However the settings do not always hold after a shutdown and reboot . It reverts back to 100% brightness...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when changing display to extend it reverts back to 1

2. why wont the monitor settings stay when i unplug the monitor from the laptop

3. display drivers no longer switching when unplugged

4. I want to save the scaling on an LG Monitor when plugging in my laptop I dont want to have to change settings everytime I connect my laptop