Windows 10: Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...

Discus and support Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We have several Dell Latitude 5500 laptops with WD19TB docking stations to allow us to connect 2 external DisplayPort monitors. All of them are imaged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by poit57, Dec 9, 2020.

1. poit57 Win User

Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...

We have several Dell Latitude 5500 laptops with WD19TB docking stations to allow us to connect 2 external DisplayPort monitors. All of them are imaged with the same software and drivers.

One of the computers is having a strange issue where the external monitors are not displaying an image. The user can only In the Windows 10 settings, there is a smaller icon showing that the monitor is detected, but disconnected through the settings. When we select to extend the displays, the setting for each external monitor keeps reverting to "Disconnect this display"

From the Intel Graphics Command Center, there is a box representing all 3 monitors with 2 of them showing they are disabled. There is no option to enable the monitor like there is from our other computers.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers, updating all the firmware for the laptop and the docking station, and checking that all drivers were up to date. I can't find a way to enable these drivers. We've tried a different docking station and different monitors that work as expected with our other laptops.

:)

poit57, Dec 9, 2020
  2. THX1138 Win User

Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process without this aspect. Is it possible for Windows 10 to save and recall the relative positions of displays?

THX1138, Dec 9, 2020
  3. Display settings changed

Hi,

We would like to know more information regarding your display settings issue. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • How are you trying to extend the display?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Dec 9, 2020
  4. THX1138 Win User

Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...

Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

This screenshot shows the display settings menu. It allows individual monitors to be disconnected and reconnected and moved around in relation to each other.

Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend... [​IMG]

This video shows what happens to the monitor arrangement when a single monitor is disconnected and then reconnected. The purpose of disconnecting monitors and reconnecting them in this way is to prevent the cursor from moving to an unused display which makes it harder to find, to prevent wasted electricity on unused resources and maintain system performance that would be spent on unnecessary calculations inside the transistors that make a monitor display things.

THX1138, Dec 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend... - Similar Threads - display settings won't

2. Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...: We have several Dell Latitude 5530 laptops with WD15 docking stations to allow us to connect 2 external DisplayPort monitors. One of the computers is having a strange issue where the external monitors are not displaying an image. The only display that is working is the...
  3. Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...: We have several Dell Latitude 5530 laptops with WD15 docking stations to allow us to connect 2 external DisplayPort monitors. One of the computers is having a strange issue where the external monitors are not displaying an image. The only display that is working is the...
  4. Windows 10 display settings won't let me change from "Disconnect the display" to "Extend...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Extended display screen frozen, but this display is not detected in the display settings

Extended display screen frozen, but this display is not detected in the display settings: Hi all, Recently come across an issue at work involving a laptop with 2 attached monitors using extended display. 1 display is frozen on a pdf doc and can't even hover the mouse to that screen. Strange thing is, when i open display settings, this display isn't even...
  6. Windows 10 will extend display but won't duplicate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 will extend display but won't duplicate: Trying top duplicate screen to Vizio TV through a HDMI cable. It will perform 2 of the 4 options properlydisplay to Laptop Only, display to TV only, extend the display between both, duplicate display on both Results of each: 1. Display to Laptop ONLY: Works fine 2. Display...
  7. Extend Display Settings

Extend Display Settings: Hello. I want to ask what to do with my laptop. The situation is that. . when I click on the 'Extend' in the projection settings, the one that will show up in my laptop screen is just the background wallpaper, while the one being projected is that which is should be on my...
  8. Extended Display Settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extended Display Settings: I was going through the display settings in my laptop to connect to a projector. After I selected 'Extend to all screens', I accidently selected 'keep changes' instead of 'revert'. Now, I'm not able to select the display settings options. I really could use some help...
  9. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement: Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process...
  10. Windows won't let me change any settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows won't let me change any settings: My MMOs won't load, causing auto reboots. In attempting to fix problem (still an issue) the fixes required modifying various settings. Windows won't let me change any settings. I navigate, click on the setting I want, click "ok" or "apply" and leave the screen. I can go right...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disconnect this display missing

2. windows defaults to disconnect this display