Windows 10: Windows 10 does not boot. No partition in system disk

Discus and support Windows 10 does not boot. No partition in system disk in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I guess my system disk somehow got corrupted... Short story of the issue: I left my PC locked and when I returned I found it with BIOS opened.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by laur_0, Jun 6, 2020.

1. laur_0 Win User

Windows 10 does not boot. No partition in system disk

Hi,

I guess my system disk somehow got corrupted...

Short story of the issue:

I left my PC locked and when I returned I found it with BIOS opened.

When I tried to restart it, it was always entering BIOS.

I tried troubleshooting the issue from windows installer but it failed to find the issue.

I tried searching for possible solutions but I could not complete any of those because somehow my system disk is not identified as system.

If I go to cmd in windows installer and enter diskpart, select disk where windows are installed and enter "list partition" I get "There are no partition on the disk to show" message.

The only idea I have now is to reinstall windows, but that would delete all the data on my disk which I would like to avoid.

Is it possible somehow to fix this issue?

Thanks!

:)

laur_0, Jun 6, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10: Unknown System (ZWindows 10 does not boot. No partition in system disk :) Partition or Disk.

Hi Leonardo,

There are several factors why you see unknown system partition or disk in your computer. It can be a recovery partition. For us to better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • When did this issue occur?

Meanwhile, we suggest to follow these steps:

• Open a Command Prompt as admin.
    • Type in diskpart.
    • Type list volumes.
    • Find out which volume shows as your drive E: then type select volume N, where N is the number that the volume was given.
    • Double-check that you're on the right volume, type in "list volume" and check where the asterisk is. If it's beside the volume you wish to change, then good, if not you'll need to do "select volume N" again.
    • When you're sure you're on the right volume, type in remove letter=E.
    • Check it has been done by typing "list volume" to see the results.
    • Close the command prompt window.

It will let you remove that partition.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 does not boot. No partition in system disk - Similar Threads - does boot partition

2. Windows 10, system not is detecting disk's partition, but detects disk as online.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10, system not is detecting disk's partition, but detects disk as online.: I ran cmd from windows boot installer from flash drive. The missing partition has windows in it. When i type diskpart then "select disk 1" disk 1 has windows and then "list partition", it gives me "There are no partitions on this disk to show." I found this article:...
  3. Windows 10, system not is detecting disk's partition, but detects disk as online.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, system not is detecting disk's partition, but detects disk as online.: I ran cmd from windows boot installer from flash drive. The missing partition has windows in it. When i type diskpart then "select disk 1" disk 1 has windows and then "list partition", it gives me "There are no partitions on this disk to show." I found this article:...
  4. Windows 10, system not is detecting disk's partition, but detects disk as online.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System and Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System and Disk Partition: Few Days ago i mistakenly deleted my OS and had to clean install windows 11. I got a DELL device and i found that Dell preinstalled apps were missing, i somehow managed to get back MY DELL and DELL SUPPORT ASSIST but still don't have DELL OS RECOVERY.Today i noticed my disk...
  6. System and Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System and Disk Partition: Few Days ago i mistakenly deleted my OS and had to clean install windows 11. I got a DELL device and i found that Dell preinstalled apps were missing, i somehow managed to get back MY DELL and DELL SUPPORT ASSIST but still don't have DELL OS RECOVERY.Today i noticed my disk...
  7. DISK PARTITION IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DISK PARTITION IN WINDOWS 10: Please suggest the solution for this "the size of the extent is less than the minimum hdd error" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-partition-in-windows-10/2bb2310d-42fd-46e7-b81d-ba08c6e429d3
  8. Reinstalling Window 10 in another partition of the disk or on another disk, on the same system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Window 10 in another partition of the disk or on another disk, on the same system: If Disk Management shows two Disc with certain partition and Windows is installed in a partition of a disc. If the system is reinstalled/formatted, then the window is reinstalled on the same partition on which it was. But what to do if I want to install the window in another...
  9. lost boot and system partition!!

lost boot and system partition!!: hello i was update my windows 10 and this was happen. windows can't boot and in cmd didn't show any boot or system in info column. what should i do? i have a picture of working windows and my partitions pictures where is my boot and system? how can i make the boot and system...
  10. Does Windows 10 Reset option merge disk partitions?

Does Windows 10 Reset option merge disk partitions?: Here's my ordeal: I bought a Dell laptop that came with windows 8.1, and later I upgraded it to windows 10. In the meantime, I created 2 partitions to install linux Debian (one for OS and another for Swap). Although, due to many problems with UEFI and videocard drivers, I...