Windows 10: Windows 10 does not detect touchpad and touchscreen not shown in device manager

Discus and support Windows 10 does not detect touchpad and touchscreen not shown in device manager in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just got a new HP laptop. After booting it up to make sure it worked and Windows was activated, I opened it up and replace the Optane m.2 with a 512... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kered13, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Kered13 Win User

Windows 10 does not detect touchpad and touchscreen not shown in device manager

I just got a new HP laptop. After booting it up to make sure it worked and Windows was activated, I opened it up and replace the Optane m.2 with a 512 GB m.2 SSD, then I reformatted and reinstalled W10 on the SSD.

After booting the new W10 install for the first time, I immediately noticed that the touchpad was not working. However I continued with installing drivers and updates hoping that this would fix it. No luck. I've tried googling everything, but haven't found anything that works. Later I noticed that the touchscreen is the exact same. It does not work and is not detected by windows. I tried booting Ubuntu off of a USB stick and both the touchpad and touchscreen work perfectly there.

Specs:

• HP Pavilion x360 - 15t-dq100 CTO
    • Core i5 10210U
    • Windows 10 Home 64 bit clean install, downloaded the installation iso from Microsoft and ran it off a USB stick

Additional information and things I've tried:

• Touchpad and touchscreen do not show up in device manager, even with "Show Hidden Devices".
    • Touchpad and touchscreen work fine in BIOS and Ubuntu live USB not a hardware problem.
    • USB mouse works fine.
    • I have fully installed all Windows updates and checked that there are no more updates.
    • I used HP's updater tool and it did not find anything to update.
    • There are no touchpad or touchscreen drivers on HP's website for this laptop.
    • I've tried installing Synaptics touchpad drivers from similar HP laptops, but it hasn't done anything the files extract to a folder, then nothing seems to run.
    • There are no touchpad or touchscreen settings in the BIOS the only settings I didn't recognize were TPM settings, but after reading about that it's clearly unrelated.
    • There is no touchpad toggle on this keyboard at least none indicated.
    • I tried going through the Control Panel > Devices > Add Device, but it does not detect the touchpad or touchscreen.

Maybe relevant:

Several of the drivers I downloaded from HP's website failed to install with the error: "This driver is not supported on this OS version 10.0.18363." This included several Intel drivers graphics, audio, and serial IO. However I used Intel's automatic driver updater, it was able to install new graphics and audio drivers. It didn't show the serial IO drivers, and I couldn't find them on Intel's website a I found a bunch of serial IO drivers for NUCs, but this appears to be irrelevant to me?. After installing those Intel drivers, everything else is working fine.

I've been doing a lot of googling to find a solution to this problem, but nothing has worked. Most of the links I have found require that the device is already detected, so that drivers can be manually installed or reinstalled. However since the devices are not detected I cannot do this, and none of the touchpad or touchscreen settings show up in Windows because Windows does not believe the devices exist. But both devices work perfectly fine outside of Windows in BIOS, in HP's UEFI diagnostic tool, and in Ubuntu.

:)

Kered13, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Jessen P Win User

Touchpad not detected?

Hi Jure,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it.

Follow these steps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.

• In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.

• Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".

• In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

• In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes”
      option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.
    Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Dec 22, 2019
  3. malware Win User
    Apple Exploring Pressure-Sensitive Touchscreens, Touchpads

Seeking to improve its portable devices, Apple has applied for a patent that could lead to touch-sensitive Macs or handhelds which react to the level of force, rather than just contact. Originally submitted in March of last year but only published on Thursday, the patent for a "Force Imaging Input and Device System" describes today's touchscreens and touchpads as limited by their relatively simple input, which tracks just the location of the finger or stylus on the surface. A method of detecting the strength of the user's input would add a new element of control, according to Apple. The patent's inventors Brian Huppi and Steven Hotelling have suggested lining touchpads with a set of traces joined together by a sandwich-like spring membrane layer underneath the surface. Touching the pad would deform the traces and create a capacitive image in circuitry, indicating where contact has been made. But unlike traditional capacitive or resistive touch surfaces, the membrane would help create a second image that recognizes just how much pressure has been applied at a given point; the harder the user pushes, the closer the membrane reaches conductive elements inside the layer and the more force would be registered with each press. Computers, phones, PDAs, and control panels are listed as candidates for the technique, although Apple is not obliged to manufacture any products using its invention.

Windows 10 does not detect touchpad and touchscreen not shown in device manager patent-091004-1_thm.jpg

Source: AppleInsider

malware, Dec 22, 2019
  4. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 does not detect touchpad and touchscreen not shown in device manager - Similar Threads - does detect touchpad

2. Touchpad code 10 in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad code 10 in device manager: My touchpad is not working all of a sudden. Its working earlier. I just locked my computer to grab some coffee and its does not work after. I use a Bluetooth mouse for the meantime but I want to use touchpad. I checked on the device manager and it has code 10 error...
  3. Touchpad code 10 in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad code 10 in device manager: My touchpad is not working all of a sudden. Its working earlier. I just locked my computer to grab some coffee and its does not work after. I use a Bluetooth mouse for the meantime but I want to use touchpad. I checked on the device manager and it has code 10 error...
  4. Touchpad code 10 in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Multiple processors are shown in the Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple processors are shown in the Device Manager: Hello,I am troubleshooting my computer, and I see that I have multiple processors shown in the Device Manager, is it anything serious?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-processors-are-shown-in-the-device/247c5016-117c-42e9-9b71-6d62c7b470ef
  6. iPhone is no longer detected by Windows 10 and does not appear in device manager/devices

iPhone is no longer detected by Windows 10 and does not appear in device manager/devices: Windows 10 stopped recognizing my iPhone as a device. It no longer shows up in Explorer or Device Manager.I have the latest iOS installed on my phone and current on Windows updates though I didn't have this issue before the last MS update - could be coincidenceI tried...
  7. Touchscreen Not Detect

Touchscreen Not Detect: I have HP laptop with touchscreen, when i test the touchscreen in bios testing, the touchscreen work well but when i enter to windows, the touchscreen can't work. Windows can' detect my touchscreen device.In device manager, HID touchscreen can't to install too, what should i...
  8. Headset not shown in device manager

Headset not shown in device manager: I was using my headset for quite some time till suddenly is vanished from my sound options for any software. After checking device manager i could not find the headset. Replugging and restarting didn't help. Windows does not seem to recognize the headset anymore. The...
  9. My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...: My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on file manager,it shows that it is online in disk management and that there are 2 partitions and both are online How do i fix this? [ATTACH]...
  10. Bluetooth not shown in device manager

Bluetooth not shown in device manager: I mistakenly removed the bluetooth from the device manager menu. I tried the services.msc and started all of the bluetooth things on the menu. It still did not bring the bluetooth back to the device manager. I need help....