Windows 10: Windows 10 does not go online and search for an updated driver during hardware installation now

Discus and support Windows 10 does not go online and search for an updated driver during hardware installation now in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, My company manufactures smart card readers. We also develop the vendor provided CCID PCSC drivers for our readers. These drivers are tested and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Engineer Peter, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Windows 10 does not go online and search for an updated driver during hardware installation now

Hi,

My company manufactures smart card readers. We also develop the vendor provided CCID PCSC drivers for our readers. These drivers are tested and signed per WHQL requirements such that Windows system can download and install these drivers when our readers are connected to the computer. Although, our readers also work with MS generic CCID driver, there are always occasions where vendor provided drivers (i.e. the drivers we developed) are needed to use advanced features of the readers.

One of our customers who has been using the vendor driver for years. Whenever they deployed readers to new Windows system, they simply ensured the computer was connected to Internet, then plugged in the reader and the vendor driver would be installed on the new system. This approach worked fine until recently they contacted our support and said that on the latest Windows 10, the MS generic CCID driver is always installed instead of the vendor driver. They had to manually update the generic CCID driver to vendor driver and that's a big issue for the customer (and us) since manual intervention is now needed to use the vendor driver.

Therefore, I would like to know:

1. Is the driver matching/installation policy changed on the latest update of Windows 10? It is true that Win10 will no longer go online and fetch the latest signed driver from the Internet now like before (or like what Windows 7 used to do)?

2. If answer to the above is yes, then is there any way that can revert this behaviour of Win10 such that it can fetches the latest vendor driver from the Internet without any manual intervention?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

:)

Engineer Peter, Aug 30, 2019

2. Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Aug 30, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

Windows 10 does not go online and search for an updated driver during hardware installation now

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 does not go online and search for an updated driver during hardware installation now

1. Windows 10 does not go online and search for an updated driver during hardware installation now - Similar Threads - does online search

2. Why does Windows 11 go to sleep during a program installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 11 go to sleep during a program installation?: Not sure why this is even a thing. We really are getting dumber over time if the PC goes to sleep while installing a program. If I start an installation and that installation is going to take some time I walk away. There's no need to sit there and the answer to set the sleep...
  3. Why does Windows 11 go to sleep during a program installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 11 go to sleep during a program installation?: Not sure why this is even a thing. We really are getting dumber over time if the PC goes to sleep while installing a program. If I start an installation and that installation is going to take some time I walk away. There's no need to sit there and the answer to set the sleep...
  4. SSD SATA M2 installed does not go online

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD SATA M2 installed does not go online: Hello, I recently bought a notebook acer aspire 5, 1 week after use I went to install my old sata on it, I made the correct installation following installation tutorial, but when turning on the notebook in disk management, I need to activate the ssd to be able to use, but not...
  5. SSD SATA M2 installed does not go online

SSD SATA M2 installed does not go online: Hello, I recently bought a notebook acer aspire 5, 1 week after use I went to install my old sata on it, I made the correct installation following installation tutorial, but when turning on the notebook in disk management, I need to activate the ssd to be able to use, but not...
  6. Drivers Not Appearing During Windows 10 Installation

Drivers Not Appearing During Windows 10 Installation: I replaced my motherboard with an ASUS Prime Z690-P and processor with i7-12700k. After booting up my PC, I plug in a USB 2.0 I think with the Create Windows 10 installation media on the USB and plugged it into the back panel of the PC. I have also tried the front panel as...
  7. Drivers Not Appearing During Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers Not Appearing During Windows 10 Installation: I replaced my motherboard with an ASUS Prime Z690-P and processor with i7-12700k. After booting up my PC, I plug in a USB 2.0 I think with the Create Windows 10 installation media on the USB and plugged it into the back panel of the PC. I have also tried the front panel as...
  8. Disable Driver Updates during online Clean Windows install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Driver Updates during online Clean Windows install: How can I disable driver updates during a clean windows install? From what I can tell it starts doing driver updates in the background right around where you enter your microsoft credentials and I've been able to confirm it is forcing me to take a bad driver that corrupts...
  9. Windows updates go online .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updates go online .: Is there a cmd that will force windows update to go online for updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-updates-go-online/483d0bcb-46ae-459b-bfa4-66e4af16f52c
  10. On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for...: I've had a completely fine running Windows 10 on two PCs, but after the May 2019 1903 Update and using Disk Cleanup and removing the previous Windows installation (not sure if disk cleanup caused anything or has anything to do with this, just speculating and it's the only...