Windows 10: Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Discus and support Windows 10 does not play WMV video files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GeorgeCB, Oct 2, 2015.

1. GeorgeCB Win User

Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Hi

Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created using Windows Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be very much advice on this on the net and the following is short list of the tried and failed suggestions:

• Turning on/off WMP through Control Panel>Programs>Programs & Features>Turn Windows Feature On or Off.

• Repeating the above then restarting my laptop twice, after which running sfc/scannow at the Command Prompt.

• Disabling / enabling "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files" in WMP Options.

• Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings - this just returns the message "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" - but doesn't expand on what settings are wrong.

I also came across this "FIX: Updade to enable DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Windows Media Video content in Windows Media 10" at Windows 10 help and how-to - Windows Help.

However after downloaded the 'fix' (Download the WindowsMedia10-KB888656-x86-Global-ENU.exe package now.) it doesn't install - instead I get the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

I appreciate that there are third party free WMV players available, but I liked WMP and cannot understand why it won't work on Windows 10. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

:)

GeorgeCB, Oct 2, 2015
  2. gsm1771 Win User

How to play wmv file (Windows Media Video for PC) in Nokia 5800XM.

Can anyone tell me how can I play wmv file (Windows Media Video for PC, resolution: 320x240) in Nokia 5800XM. I've tried with real player. It only plays audio but no video. SmartMovie does not play anything. Is there any other MEDIA PLAYER for Nokia 5800XM
    to play *.wmv file. Thanks in advance.

gsm1771, Oct 2, 2015
  3. gsm1771 Win User
    How to play wmv file (Windows Menia Video for PC) in Nokia 5800XM

Can anyone tell me how can I play wmv file (Windows Menia Video for PC, resolution: 320x240) in Nokia 5800XM. I've tried with real player. It only plays audio but no video. SmartMovie does not play anything. Is there any other MEDIA PLAYER for Nokia 5800XM
    to play *.wmv file. Thanks in advance.

gsm1771, Oct 2, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, FWIW, WMP plays wmv files on my Win 10 upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro..

dalchina, Oct 2, 2015
  5. GeorgeCB Win User
    Hi

I'm delighted for you but it doesn't really help me. I also upgraded from Win 8.1

GeorgeCB, Oct 2, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    *Wink Hence FWIW - at least WMP vs wmv is probably not fundamentally broken...

"Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings - this just returns the message "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" - but doesn't expand on what settings are wrong."
    - I get the same thing... but am unaware of any particular general audio/video issues so far.
    = so maybe that's not significant...
    Have you tried the Video troubleshooter?

dalchina, Oct 2, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    "Not enough storage is available to process this command".
    - presumably you're neither out of disk space nor short of RAM..

dalchina, Oct 2, 2015
  8. Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Cluster Head, Oct 2, 2015
  9. GeorgeCB Win User
    No that can't be right. There is more than enough RAM - I tried downloanding this fix on another PC and got exactly the same message. Incidentally, what is FWIW?

GeorgeCB, Oct 2, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    ... sorry, shouldn't use acronymns... 1st result from search:
    "Shorthand for For What It's Worth, FWIW is an abbreviation often used in text-based communications. Below is an example of how this could be used in chat. User1: FWIW I think you're pretty. User2: Thanks. *Smile Also see: Chat terms.

What is FWIW (For What It's Worth)? - Computer Hope

www.computerhope.com/jargon/f/fwiw.htm"

dalchina, Oct 2, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    1. Have you tried the Video troubleshooter? - in the list from which you did this "Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings"

2. What happens if you create another user and log in as that user?

3. Try unticking Windows Media Player in Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on and off, Media Features, restart, then tick again to reinstate it.

dalchina, Oct 2, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    And can you confirm that WMP does play a number of formats, including wma?

dalchina, Oct 2, 2015
  13. GeorgeCB Win User

All of the above have been tried and to no avail. In fact, WMP won't play anything. I've just inserted a standard audio CD and it plays WITHOUT sound. I think this means I will have to look to third party software to play video and audio. Which makes me wonder why I bothered upgrading to Win 10 at all. I've had so many problem with it I'm starting to think that it is a load of old cobblers.

GeorgeCB, Oct 3, 2015
  14. dhonzik Win User
    dhonzik, Oct 3, 2015
  15. WMP works ok for me on CD/DVD and video and I have done nothing to it also Toshiba has it own and I do also use Cyberlink Power Player 15

hTconeM9user, Oct 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 does not play WMV video files - Similar Threads - does play WMV

2. WMV File Issue Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WMV File Issue Windows 10: I recently discovered that my PC currently running on fully updated as of 2-18-21 version of Windows 10 will only play audio of .WMV files with a black screen. This occurs on all apps including Windows Media Player, Movies&TV, and Photos. My PC will play MP4 files and 3GP...
  3. Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file: Recently updated win10 to -2004, screenshot: [ATTACH] and I am now finding that the media player MP in this version will not play wmv files. The result of trying to pay a captured wmv file in MP was a black screen with audio. So, I resorted to my test video clip -...
  4. WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files: Hello all, Tried searching but couldn't find similar posts. WMP in Windows 10 will play audio but no video for all WMV files. It just started 1-2 weeks ago. I actually did a clean install and downloaded some codec packages to no avail. Anyone have similar issue or know a...
  5. Audio does not Play with Video Files in Skype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Audio does not Play with Video Files in Skype: I am trying to share a video file with clients and our test within the department has found that while you can share videos, nobody can hear the audio associated with the videos. I have tried putting the files into PP, and then compressing the files, and also this option:...
  6. windows media player won't play wmv files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  7. wmv file plays fine on my computer but not on other computers

wmv file plays fine on my computer but not on other computers: My wmv file plays fine on my Dell computer where I created it using Photo Story 3 for windows. But when I use it on other computers the audio (narration and music) doesn't work....
  8. wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer

wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer: I am trying to convert a .wmv file to .mp4, however the .wmv file does not appear any time I browse for it. I know exactly where it is on my hard drive from a search I performed and it will open and play in the Windows 10 Movie and TV app. However it does not appear anywhere...
  9. Videos does not play in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Videos does not play in windows 10: Every thing was working fine few days back,all of a sudden no videos are playing in my laptop. but after i restart pc videos do play.so every time i shut down my pc i will have to restart my pc to play videos ,it is so annoying . any suggesions. 90959
  10. Embedded wmv streaming video not playing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Embedded wmv streaming video not playing in Windows 10: Hi All, My website is using Windows Media Service for video streaming. It works well for IE on Windows 7 and 8. But it won't play the video after I installed the Windows 10. Can anyone help for the issue? PS. My website is provide video streaming like Windows Media test...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not playling wmv files