Windows 10: Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Discus and support Windows 10 does not play WMV video files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of the above have been tried and to no avail. In fact, WMP won't play anything. I've just inserted a standard audio CD and it plays WITHOUT sound.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GeorgeCB, Oct 2, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Ok, so you've added some important information- it's not just wmv you have a problem with, which is what your post appeared to say.

So:
    1. you now say you didn't hear sound ... do you hear normal PC sounds- does rt click on vol icon, click on playback devices, rt click on default device, test give you sound?
    2. If so, install any other freeware player, and try that. What result do you get with your CD, and what with your wmv file?
    3. Please update your laptop specs so we can see what you have. In particular, what sound card/driver?
    4. When you tried to play a wmv file with WMP, can you confirm you meant you neither saw the video picture nor heard the sound?

Note: I found I had audio problems but ONLY (as some others) with Audacity >v2.03 and any Ashampoo program - no sound card detected- acknowledged by them. Nothing more for some weeks. (Conexant HD Audio 221).

I would not try other codecs at this point as people who had problems with WMP didn't find that helped.

dalchina, Oct 3, 2015
  2. dalchina New Member

.. you mentioned you had other problems with Win 10 - it could be helpful to list them in case there's some underlying issue.

dalchina, Oct 3, 2015
  3. KaySC Win User
    KaySC, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

1. Windows 10 does not play WMV video files - Similar Threads - does play WMV

2. WMV File Issue Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WMV File Issue Windows 10: I recently discovered that my PC currently running on fully updated as of 2-18-21 version of Windows 10 will only play audio of .WMV files with a black screen. This occurs on all apps including Windows Media Player, Movies&TV, and Photos. My PC will play MP4 files and 3GP...
  3. Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10-2004 media player will not play wmv file: Recently updated win10 to -2004, screenshot: [ATTACH] and I am now finding that the media player MP in this version will not play wmv files. The result of trying to pay a captured wmv file in MP was a black screen with audio. So, I resorted to my test video clip -...
  4. WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMP playing audio but no video in WMV files: Hello all, Tried searching but couldn't find similar posts. WMP in Windows 10 will play audio but no video for all WMV files. It just started 1-2 weeks ago. I actually did a clean install and downloaded some codec packages to no avail. Anyone have similar issue or know a...
  5. Audio does not Play with Video Files in Skype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Audio does not Play with Video Files in Skype: I am trying to share a video file with clients and our test within the department has found that while you can share videos, nobody can hear the audio associated with the videos. I have tried putting the files into PP, and then compressing the files, and also this option:...
  6. windows media player won't play wmv files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player won't play wmv files: windows media player won't play wmv files. I get audio only but no video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-wont-play-wmv-files/cab62b98-f361-4f39-883d-74cda82695bd
  7. wmv file plays fine on my computer but not on other computers

wmv file plays fine on my computer but not on other computers: My wmv file plays fine on my Dell computer where I created it using Photo Story 3 for windows. But when I use it on other computers the audio (narration and music) doesn't work....
  8. wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer

wmv file does not appear in Windows Explorer: I am trying to convert a .wmv file to .mp4, however the .wmv file does not appear any time I browse for it. I know exactly where it is on my hard drive from a search I performed and it will open and play in the Windows 10 Movie and TV app. However it does not appear anywhere...
  9. Videos does not play in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Videos does not play in windows 10: Every thing was working fine few days back,all of a sudden no videos are playing in my laptop. but after i restart pc videos do play.so every time i shut down my pc i will have to restart my pc to play videos ,it is so annoying . any suggesions. 90959
  10. Embedded wmv streaming video not playing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Embedded wmv streaming video not playing in Windows 10: Hi All, My website is using Windows Media Service for video streaming. It works well for IE on Windows 7 and 8. But it won't play the video after I installed the Windows 10. Can anyone help for the issue? PS. My website is provide video streaming like Windows Media test...