Windows 10: Windows 10 Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers

Discus and support Windows 10 Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Here is my problem I have Windows 10 Current upates When I go to device manager, It recognizes the Drive [ATTACH] Notice its shows WD My Passport... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by txsgenttexas, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers

Here is my problem I have Windows 10 Current upates

When I go to device manager,

It recognizes the Drive

Windows 10  Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers 480b3b11-0da2-41aa-9a3a-56289827232b?upload=true.png

Notice its shows WD My Passport 0740 USB Device

When I go to USB Controllers also in Device Manager It appears to be recognized

Windows 10  Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers 4f81bf92-d2d9-4ba1-98c6-902c02477a40?upload=true.png

it shows all working properly

Windows 10  Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers f77e5c0c-4790-42c1-a2c9-d158a1749f74?upload=true.png

But when I go to My PC, it is not listed.

Windows 10  Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers bfcdda9f-627c-470f-8b44-738ec2bf0524?upload=true.png

How Do I Make It Recognize the HDD My Passport?

When I go to WD Diagnostics, it is recognized but no drive letter assigned,

Ran Diagnostics from WDD.. and it passed

But it does not show a drive letter for it either..

Windows 10  Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers b380c401-e60e-444b-90c8-f985f0eeeaf5?upload=true.png

What Steps Do I Need To Take To Make It Recognize This Drive?

Is There A Tool To Fix This From Microsoft?
    Such As A Troubleshooter?

Thanks for any and all input.

:)

txsgenttexas, Aug 22, 2019

2. Some USB Devices not recognized in Windows 10

Hi have Windows 10 Pro insider preview 10532 64bit Pro Intel i7 desktop PC.

I have multiple USB devices connected, USB 3 & 2. The USB HDD is working however my Samsung phone and kindle are no longer being recognized. The steps followed so far:

• Uninstalled all USB devices in device manager including controllers
    • Flashed BIOS to latest version
    • Updated USB drivers for the devices from manufacturers sites
    • Tried new USB cables

Please note: both devices are recognized by my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop.

I really don't want to fresh install, please suggest any diagnostics I can try.

Thanks

TonyHallett, Aug 22, 2019
  3. External HDD Error: "USB device not recognized"

Hi!
    I have an issue with an LaCie Rikiki external drive. As the title says, I get "USB device not recognized" error in Device manager with "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" status. The drive does not show up in Disk Management either. I have tried different USB cables on different PCs but with the same result.
    Thanks in advance!

shikamaru2388, Aug 22, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers

USB devices have yellow marker in device manager under 'Other devices'

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• What is the make and model of your devices?

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check.

• Press the Windows + X,
      and click on Search.

• Type troubleshooting and select
      Troubleshooting

• Click on Hardware and Sound and select
      Hardware and Devices

• Click on Next to run the troubleshooter

Method 2: Update USB Controllers.

To update the USB Controllers from Device Manager follow these steps.

• Go to Device manager in control panel.

• Select Device manager and a Device Manager window will pop-up.

• Double Click on USB Controllers to expand.

• Right click on the USB Controllers that is listed and select Update.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers

1. Windows 10 Does not recoginze a USB External HDD only in Device Manager and USB Controlers - Similar Threads - Does recoginze USB

2. Windows 10 does not recognize older USB External Hard drive in Device Manager or File...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 does not recognize older USB External Hard drive in Device Manager or File...: I was using my USB WD My Passport external HD for Windows 10 File History backup. I had an older USB WD My Book Essential external hard drive that sat for a year or so that I wanted to retrieve some files but Windows 10 version 21H2 would not recognize the drive in Device...
  3. Windows 10 does not recognize older USB External Hard drive in Device Manager or File...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 does not recognize older USB External Hard drive in Device Manager or File...: I was using my USB WD My Passport external HD for Windows 10 File History backup. I had an older USB WD My Book Essential external hard drive that sat for a year or so that I wanted to retrieve some files but Windows 10 version 21H2 would not recognize the drive in Device...
  4. Windows 10 does not recognize older USB External Hard drive in Device Manager or File...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB Controller missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Controller missing from Device Manager: I am using a HP 650 Notebook was trying to transfer all files and reset the full windows so I bought a portable drive. But the problem I found is USB doesnt work and so I went to device manager to see whether the drives is update and I dont even find any USB controller....
  6. USB device malfunctioned HDD

USB device malfunctioned HDD: I'm unable to access my HDD no more after a USB port power surge and from what I knew from the error notifications : - USB device is malfunctioned - In device manager there was a USB device port reset failed - The last event on that certain port reset failed was device not...
  7. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  8. USB port will only recognize external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  9. Error Code 10 - Toshiba HDD - Toshiba external usb 3.0 usb device

Error Code 10 - Toshiba HDD - Toshiba external usb 3.0 usb device: Recently my Toshiba HDD is not recognized by my PC. When i checked in device manager i found that my HDD was unabled because i dont know why, then i enabled again adn when i finished to do this, i saw that my device has an "Error Code 10". I read on internet that this error...
  10. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a