Windows 10: Windows 10 does not save my default app for java

Discus and support Windows 10 does not save my default app for java in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been having this problem since the early builds, but it seems to get worse the longer I have 10 on my machine. While browsing the internet (and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by insomniacpyro, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Windows 10 does not save my default app for java

I've been having this problem since the early builds, but it seems to get worse the longer I have 10 on my machine. While browsing the internet (and other times not doing anything but watching a movie) the "choose a default app" dialog will appear, asking me to choose between Windows Script Host or Java, or some other 3rd app that isn't relevant. Even after making sure "always use this app to open .js files" is checked, the dialog will appear later on in the day. Going through the file type settings does nothing either, and will still bring up the dialog later. It does not matter if/when I have restarted Windows either.

Please help!

:)

insomniacpyro, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

i cant open jnlp files in windows 10, pls help

See: How to Run jnlp Files

If you have installed Java Web Start, then you need to set it as the Default for JNLP files.

Try: "Start Button" > "Settings" > "System" > "Default Apps" (Scroll to the bottom of the right-hand pane) > "Choose default applications by file type" and scroll down to JNLP and set the app by clicking on the icon to reveal the options.

Erdeslawe, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Downloading from other browsers...

About apps transferring java apps/games/themes downloads to default browser.

The permission of writing of java apps to either phone memory or memory card with .jar extension is not given to 3rd party apps like opera. This is because the java apps shouldn't be shared with others, so the java apps are kind of encrypted by the default
    browser while/after downloading. Apps downloaded with default browser cannot be shared by sharing memory cards or copying the game to pc.

The UC browser on the other hand can downloads those .jar apps by renaming.jar to _jar. As they are not encrypted, can be shared!!!

Hope this helps.

Srikanthsd, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 does not save my default app for java

1. Windows 10 does not save my default app for java - Similar Threads - does save default

2. Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default: I would like to know how to change my Microsoft Photos App to save video trims with "Save as" instead of "Saving a copy" If this cannot be done, please explain why....
  3. Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Photos App "Save" instead of "Save a Copy" as the default: I would like to know how to change my Microsoft Photos App to save video trims with "Save as" instead of "Saving a copy" If this cannot be done, please explain why....
  4. Apps not saving to default drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Apps not saving to default drive: My "C" drive is full because despite changing my preferences in settings to save all new apps, music, files, EVERYTHING in D drive, they STILL automatically save to C drive and when I click on them there is NO option to move them to D drive. Is this an app specific thing? Is...
  5. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default apps?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default apps?: In the past my default apps would reset every 6 weeks or so - now it is happening within a matter of two hours. This is super frustrating....
  6. Changing default save location for apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default save location for apps: Problem: Changing default drive for new content. Attempting to change from C to D drives primary to secondary drives First message: Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device, to use this drive delete them. Click yes, Error code 0x80070005 comes up. I have...
  7. Java not showing up as a default app.

Java not showing up as a default app.: Whenever I try to change my default .Jar opener to java it doesn't appear. I'm certain that I have installed java.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/java-not-showing-up-as-a-default-app/f9b27abf-8c35-4a44-9700-040c9067643a
  8. Can't set default app for java and txt files

Can't set default app for java and txt files: I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also not changing. I tried with java also, but it is not changing. Most of the apps it is changing. Even after changing to...
  9. Default App not saving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default App not saving: I'm trying to have all image files open in Windows Photo Viewer instead of the new Photos app. I already edited my registry to get the option to use WPV, and have successfully associated .jpg files with it. I have tried many times to associate other extensions, too, but none...
  10. Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 does not save a folder view that doesn't match default: I want to be able to set the folder view option on any folder, regardless of type (such a silly option) and have Windows 10 remember that view option when I open the folder again. I do not want to buy a third party utility. I have spent enough money with Microsoft over the...