Windows 10: Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does

Discus and support Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This PC is six years old and otherwise runs Windows 10 okay. But it has an annoying problem with USB flash drives. When I insert one, I see the blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nobody-important, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does

This PC is six years old and otherwise runs Windows 10 okay. But it has an annoying problem with USB flash drives. When I insert one, I see the blue (it's a SanDisk Extreme 3.0) light on it, but Windows never shows it in explorer. At first I thought it was the hardware, so I switched the internal cables from one USB port to another, but that made no difference. I tried it on ports in front and on the aluminum I/O plate, but nothing worked. Then I tried booting Linux from a LiveUBS (a different USB flash drive), with Linux recognizing the original USB flash drive immediately. Both USB flash drives work on all of my other PCs. If Linux didn't work, I would have blamed the hardware. Am I missing an update?

:)

nobody-important, Oct 28, 2018
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 28, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Corsair Releases Flash Voyager Vega USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Corsair, a world leader in high-performance PC hardware, today announced the ultra compact, low-profile Flash Voyager Vega USB 3.0 flash drive. The slim, thumb-sized drive is less than 5mm thin and 24mm long including the built-in key ring loop, making it a perfect keychain companion for data transfers on the go, or an ideal plug-and-leave storage solution for notebooks, car audio systems, game consoles, and other devices. The new drive is available immediately in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities from Corsair.com and retailers around the world.

Protected in a gleaming scratch-resistant hard chrome plated zinc alloy enclosure, the Flash Voyager Vega drive is as eye-catching as it is rugged. Thanks to high-speed USB 3.0 support, file transfers complete in a fraction of the time of previous generation flash drives, with a discrete blue LED showing when data transfers are active. The drive also supports USB 2.0 for compatibility with older PCs, and Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux are all supported with no additional software required.

Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does 9a_thm.jpg

Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does 9b_thm.jpg

Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does 9c_thm.jpg

Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does 9d_thm.jpg

Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does 9e_thm.jpg

Pricing, Availability, and Warranty
    The Flash Voyager Vega flash drive is available immediately from Corsair's worldwide network of resellers and is backed by a 5-year warranty and Corsair's well-earned reputation for quality, compatibility, and performance.

Suggested retail pricing is as follows:
    • Flash Voyager Vega 16GB: $16.99 USD
    • Flash Voyager Vega 32GB: $24.99 USD
    • Flash Voyager Vega 64GB: $44.99 USD
    For more information on the Corsair Flash Voyager GO USB 3.0 flash drives, please visit this page.

btarunr, Oct 28, 2018
  4. Agility Win User

Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Oct 28, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does

1. Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does - Similar Threads - does USB flash

2. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  3. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  4. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  5. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  6. Windows 10 does not boot successfully without USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 does not boot successfully without USB flash drive.: Hello, I did an oopsie by deleting my Ubuntu partition, containing the GRUB menu. I was unable to boot my PC into windows or even get the GRUB menu working of course, since I deleted it on accident Face palming. I went to my nearest store, got a 16gb sandisk USB Flash Drive,...
  7. USB flash drive does not appear on the screen in W 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB flash drive does not appear on the screen in W 10: Please get upgrade to W 7 many features have been taken off from W 7 that were very practical I do not like your setting in W 10 you really have to dig in to find anything. also no feature for drivers to update automatically like in W 7...
  8. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...
  9. Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data!: I'm running 32-bit Windows 10 Pro on a Toshiba Encore 2, model WT10-A tablet. I can always boot it successfully from any UEFI USB flash drive (both 2.0 & 3.0), but when I insert either type when running Windows -- although they show up in both the Device Manager and the Disk...
  10. Linux on a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux on a flash drive: Is there a tutorial on how to setup Linux Distro on a large flashdrive where you can add software to the flash drive and a printer. That when you close the linux version and remove the flashdrive and then decide to use it later, all the software is still there? 72492