Windows 10: Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer

Discus and support Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Subst seems to be broken in Windows 10. Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Build 19042.421 When using subst to create a new drive letter, the new drive is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cadill, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Cadill Win User

Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer

Subst seems to be broken in Windows 10.

Windows 10 Pro
    Version 20H2
    Build 19042.421

When using subst to create a new drive letter, the new drive is available in the command prompt, but the drive letter does not show up in Explorer, even when I run the subst from an elevated command prompt. Previously, the subst drive letter would appear in Explorer.

Please don't tell me to run "sfc /scannow". We all know to do that. It doesn't help.

:)

Cadill, Jul 26, 2020
  2. mgm0901 Win User

Windows 10 issue "Subst" command doesn't work

Tom: I've been successful in seeing the substituted path in Windows Explorer after running the Subst command within a CMD window that is run as Administrator. I even see it appear in Explorer when not run as Administrator but many of my applications, e.g.
    Tradestation, do not see the Substitution.

My problem is, running CMD as Administrator in a batch file to make the Subst more permanent on bootup. Answers back from Microsoft are truly void of merit. Most of the techs, born long after, haven't a clue regarding batch files. The fact that they
    respond anyway is a policy that needs to be replaced by their technical administrators. Otherwise, Windows 10 follows the same degraded path of Vista...

Best Regards,

Mike

mgm0901, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer

Windows 10 issue "Subst" command doesn't work

• “sfc /scannow” didn't make any difference (no integrity problems found.
    • run command (w' admin privileges) subst [drive] ["some folder poath"] succeeds.
    • run command subst shows the correct subst.
    • For example If I open file browse dialog from msdev 2013 I can see subst drive (not from every app)
    • Subst drive still remains invisible from explorer.exe.

DanielChervin, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer

1. Windows 10 doesn't recognise subst drive letters in Explorer - Similar Threads - doesn't recognise subst

2. using python to subst drive letter which be occupied by network, gets wrong icon in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    using python to subst drive letter which be occupied by network, gets wrong icon in explorer: #coding=utf-8import osimport subprocessdef win_subst_action, _drive, _path = '': if _action == 'delete': _cmd = 'subst /d {}'.format_drive elif _action == 'mount': _cmd = 'subst {} {}'.format_drive, _path p = subprocess.Popen_cmd, shell = True p.c...
  3. using python to subst drive letter which be occupied by network, gets wrong icon in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    using python to subst drive letter which be occupied by network, gets wrong icon in explorer: #coding=utf-8import osimport subprocessdef win_subst_action, _drive, _path = '': if _action == 'delete': _cmd = 'subst /d {}'.format_drive elif _action == 'mount': _cmd = 'subst {} {}'.format_drive, _path p = subprocess.Popen_cmd, shell = True p.c...
  4. using python to subst drive letter which be occupied by network, gets wrong icon in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:: I cant get drive letter Y: to show up in file explorer. I noticed this first when I tried to map a network drive Y: to a valid location. Permissions all good. Everything went smoothly. In fact when I went through the process to map another drive, I could even see the first...
  6. File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Doesn't Like Drive Letter Y:: I cant get drive letter Y: to show up in file explorer. I noticed this first when I tried to map a network drive Y: to a valid location. Permissions all good. Everything went smoothly. In fact when I went through the process to map another drive, I could even see the first...
  7. Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer: I have one and only one letter assigned to a drive that is not recognized by the Windows Explorer. It is visible in the Disk Management console. When I change the letter Explorer displays this drive. When I assign this letter to another drive, it disappears from Explorer....
  8. Windows 10 doesn't recognize subst drive letters in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 doesn't recognize subst drive letters in Explorer: Subst seems to be broken in Windows 10. Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Build 19042.421 When using subst to create a new drive letter, the new drive is available in the command prompt, but the drive letter does not show up in Explorer, even when I run the subst from an elevated...
  9. Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows doesn't assign drive letter automatically: Hi! Till tomorrow my 2TB WD elements Drive having single partition works fine. Automatically detection of drive and drive letter was assigned automatically. But today I am facing some strange issues regarding this drive. 1. After plug-in the drive, disk management shows...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't recognise USB drives or Disks

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 doesn't recognise USB drives or Disks: Okay, so I input my USB drive; it doesn't detect any data and wants to reformat it, I decide to go ahead with it, but it simply says "windows can't format device E:". It does the same thing with my MSI drivers disk... Please help *Sad 35988