Windows 10: Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

Discus and support Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop ASUS Zenbook UX303LN. I made a clean install to Windows 10 and now it doesn't shut down properly. When I shut it down, the screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MalRL, Sep 23, 2015.

1. MalRL Win User

Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

I have a laptop ASUS Zenbook UX303LN. I made a clean install to Windows 10 and now it doesn't shut down properly.

When I shut it down, the screen goes black, but the power light remains on and I have to shut it down manually. Also, I sometimes cannot restart it when it goes to sleep and I also have to shut it down manually. This doesn't happen everytime, but most of the time. I previously had Windows 8.1 and did not have this problem. Actually, I'm considering changing back.

The OS and drivers are all up to date.

I have research this issue and the most common fixes are:
    • Uncheck the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"
    • Use a shortcut for "shutdown /s /t 5"

I've tried both and the problem remains.

These are the videos / articles I've found on the subject:
    How to fix windows 10 shut down problem (Youtube video)
    How to create a Windows 10 shutdown.exe (shut down fix) (Youtube video)
    How to fix Windows 10 sleep problem (dead sleep) (Youtube video)
    Fix: Laptop Won’t Shutdown in Windows 10

Some help would be much appreciated.

:)

MalRL, Sep 23, 2015

2. Laptop fails to shut down/restart/sleep after upgrading to Windows 10

Hey all,

After upgrading to the Windows 10 OS, my laptop does not shut down or go into sleep mode properly. When I go to shut down the computer, the screen just goes black and the power light stays on, then when I think it has shut down, my laptop is actually dead,
    due to the fact that it doesn't shut down properly.

If anybody knows what to do or has any tips, that would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Durdella21, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly..

Thanks for the update, Andrei. It seems that your computer just enters into hibernation when the fast startup is enabled. In that case, please turn off the fast startup again in order for your computer to fully shut down.

Feel free to let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 23, 2015
  4. 1nitram2 Win User

I had what sounds like the same problem on a Dell Inspiron 15 3542.

Switch off and battery sometimes flat on reboot.

Recover from sleep sometimes requires a hard reset.

After several abortive attempts I cured it by disabling the Intel Management Engine Interface in device manager.

No side effects from doing this.

Tried various versions of the Intel Management Engine Interface but all brought back the problem.

1nitram2, Sep 23, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    My Windows shuts down just fine, but restart takes forever.

6. Williams Win User
    I had the same problem too. I tried many formats/ clean installs and nothing work.

Sometime changed the HDD and bought a new one and everything is working fine.

Williams, Sep 23, 2015
  7. MalRL Win User
    Thanks, it really did solve the problem.

Except... a new problem came up. The desktop icons don't stay in place. Whenever I shut the computer off and on, it rearranges all my desktop icons. It's driving me crazy. Did this happen to you? If so, how did you solve it?

MalRL, Sep 23, 2015
  8. 1nitram2 Win User

Nope, no problems seen as yet

1nitram2, Sep 24, 2015
  9. 1nitram2 Win User
    The Intel Management Engine works with BIOS and various drivers to control power, it looks as if it preferred the new driver that came with the change of HDD

1nitram2, Sep 24, 2015
  10. gloquin Win User
    Hi everyone !

I was having the same issues: shutdown/sleep problem, desktop icons moving, preferences reset after every (forced) shutdown etc
    And it only appeared after clean install. Before that? Everything was perfect! *Think

Hence I knew it was only a driver issue.
    Thus I downloaded every latest w8.1 and w10 drivers on the asus website for my UX301LA.

I went for my xth clean install since september... But this time: local account and no wifi. I did not want any synchronisation/update to screw things up.

I first installed w8.1 drivers then the w10 ones (ATK then touchpad).

As I suspected, windows update drivers are the source of these issues.
    Since then it works like a charm!

Hope it will help someone...

Gwel *Wink

gloquin, Oct 10, 2015
  11. kage00 Win User
    Thank you so much, I tried this and it worked!

Afterwards I decided to go look for an older driver for Intel Management Engine Interface that worked for me on Win 8.1 and tried that and it works, no more annoying problems with shutdown and restarting. *Smile

Here is the working driver below, the one from the Asus drivers webpage also works, but it's from 2013, the one below is Nov 2014
    http://www.station-drivers.com/index...d=1011&lang=en

kage00, Nov 5, 2015
  12. 1nitram2 Win User
    Glad it worked for you, no such luck for me.
    I've tried various 9.x.x.x , 10.x.x.x , 11.x.x.x versions with no success.
    Everything works with Intel Management Engine Interface disabled so I'm staying with that.

1nitram2, Nov 5, 2015
  13. lbouriez Win User

Thanks, you solved my problem, I hadn't any problem sinceI am using my laptop until yesterday... don't know what happens.
    Disabling the intel management Engine Interface resolved everyhting.

lbouriez, May 2, 2016
  14. FYI, don't disable the Intel Management Engine completely. It serves a purpose and should be left enabled. Disable the Power Management feature and you should be good. It's worked on several laptops I've come across with the very same issue.

Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly [​IMG]

DeaconFrost, May 2, 2016
  15. lbouriez Win User
    Ok, I will do it.

Thx

lbouriez, May 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly - Similar Threads - doesn't shut down

2. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: Hi,I wonder if someone can help.Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly. I go thru the normal procedure of clicking 'shut down', blue screen, whirling time icon etc. Screen goes dark but power light and internet light stay on and the machine stays warm until I press power...
  3. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: Hi,I wonder if someone can help.Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly. I go thru the normal procedure of clicking 'shut down', blue screen, whirling time icon etc. Screen goes dark but power light and internet light stay on and the machine stays warm until I press power...
  4. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  6. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. My windows 10 PC doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My windows 10 PC doesn't shut down properly: 1)PC goes through shutdown process but computer remains running (fans spinning, Power switch LED on) 2)Computer can be restarted normally Keyboard and mouse can't wake up PC once shutdown is started, both lose power (LEDs off) 3)Only way to turn PC off is by holding power...
  9. My laptop doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop doesn't shut down properly: Hello, so i have a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (P57g001), i bought it back in April and in the last few weeks it started to freeze whenever i try to shut it down or put it to sleep or hibernate. It is clear that the OS (win 10) is closing all the programs but when it turns the...
  10. Laptop doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop doesn't shut down properly: Over the past week, I realized whenever I would turn my laptop on, it would state that it was charging, which was weird since it stayed plugged in to an outlet all of the time. I tried to find what was causing this and it turns out, my laptop does not shut down properly....