Windows 10: Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed

Discus and support Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; How is it that Microsoft has not figured out how to solve this problem for the past 15+ years? I think the code looks something like this: If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by John Loiacono IV, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed

How is it that Microsoft has not figured out how to solve this problem for the past 15+ years? I think the code looks something like this:

If lid=closed then sleep

Of course someone will inevitably reply to this and tell me how it's "not this simple." Yes, jackass from the future, we all know it might be a little harder than what I've described.

C'mon Microsoft, this is kid's stuff.

Git'r done!

:)

John Loiacono IV, Jul 10, 2019

2. Sleep mode when lid is closed

When I close the lid of my Lenovo laptop with Windows 7, the computer doesn NOT go to sleep. The settings in Control Panel are correct: When I Close The Lid I have put SLEEP for battery and plugged in mode. How can I get it to go back to working normally
    and putting my laptop to sleep mode when I close the lid? I already had Windows 7 re-installed, but the problem is still there. Thank you Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed :)

louisalouisa, Jul 10, 2019
  3. heartsg Win User
    Closing the lid will only enter into sleep by chance

I have a thinkpad X1 carbon, and upgraded to Windows 10.

Everything worked fine including sleep.

Suddenly one day ( well I can't really recall which day, just recently), I noticed that when I close the lid, it won't enter into sleep.

If I open the lid, and close the lid again in short time, it will enter into sleep then.

I then started testing, and close and open close and open.

Generally, the behaviour is like this:

1. If I close the lid, 9 out of 10 will not sleep, and there's some chance that it will sleep.

2. If I close the lid (no sleep), open the lid again, and close the lid again in shor time, 9 out of 10 it will sleep at the second close.

3. If I close the lid (no sleep), open the lid, and do some operation (browsing etc), then close the lid, it will not sleep (see step 1)

4. If I change the settings to : close the lid then hibernate, then it works everytime, closing the lid will hibernate the computer.

5. In battery mode, the sleep works when lid is closed, only in plugged-in mode, the sleep doesn't work!

My attempts:

1. I tried to see the system event log, and found that, if I close the lid, and the comuter is not in sleep mode, it enters into Away mode. So it did detect the closing action, and tried to do something, but decided to go to away rather than sleep, which
    is really rediculous.

2. I tried to seach on the forum, and found some media sharing stuff, I tried all settings, including disable media sharing, they didn't solve my problem.

3. I also tried to use "powercfg -requests" in cmd window and found there are none applications that is preventing the system from entering into sleep.

4. I tried to set every single power settings of plugged-in mode to be as same as "battery" mode, no use. Battery still works and plugged in mode still not working most of the time.

5. System restore is not an option because I disabled system restore (harddisk is too small for system restore).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

heartsg, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed

Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed

1. Windows 10 doesn't sleep when lid closed - Similar Threads - doesn't sleep lid

2. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  3. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  4. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  6. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  7. Computer doesn't sleep when I close the lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer doesn't sleep when I close the lid: [ATTACH] This problem started recently. Normally when I close the lid, my computer goes to sleep and I have to unlock it. However, it hasn't been doing that lately and I have to manually put it to sleep. I've checked the settings and it's set to go to sleep when i close my...
  8. Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.: [ATTACH] Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. My school issued laptop will not go to sleep when i close the "lid". It will only sleep if I click the start button and select sleep, which is fine, however; sometimes I just close it up out of habit, and when I come back...
  9. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close: Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can still be seen. I have checked the Power Options/System Settings and the computer is set to sleep when the lid is closed. Since...
  10. Windows 10 laptop no longer sleeping when lid closed

Windows 10 laptop no longer sleeping when lid closed: My Lenovo Yoga 910, since updates in late 2018, is no longer sleeping when I close the lid. I'll pull it out of my backpack sleeve and it will be overheating from lack of airflow or the battery will be dead. I have power settings set to sleep when lid closed, display turn off...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows no sleep close lid external monitor

2. X1 Yoga Gen 3 sleep mode issues when lid closed

3. closing lid doesnt sleep windows 10

4. closing lid doesnt sleep,
  5. win 10 wont sleep on lid